Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Potential Legal Challenge Looming Over Kirkman's "Outcast"

Robert Kirkman's forthcoming Image Comics series "Outcast" may be the subject of a trademark challenge from Valiant Entertainment.

Full article here.

Didn't know about Valliant's Outcast, until I read this article, but the concept sounds cool. Wonder what Kirkman would do?
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

In before someone mixes up trademark and copyright, and/or argues that its dumb that someone can 'own a word'.

Kirkman will change it just like he did Guardians of the Globe because of Guardians of the Galaxy.

I remember a similar story with the book "Valen: The Outcast" which was originally going to be called just "The Outcast." VALIANT challenged that and the name was changed.

Gotta protect your TMs whether you are an independent creator or a larger company. Even Marvel got dinged not long ago when they were going to call a book "Champions" and were challenged by the makers of the role-play game of the same name. That title wound up being changed to "The Order".
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    I remember a similar story with the book "Valen: The Outcast" which was originally going to be called just "The Outcast." VALIANT challenged that and the name was changed.

Gotta protect your TMs whether you are an independent creator or a larger company. Even Marvel got dinged not long ago when they were going to call a book "Champions" and were challenged by the makers of the role-play game of the same name. That title wound up being changed to "The Order".
    Here's the Valen the Outcast story from 2011: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/...rsons-outcast/
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Ironically, the very reason Valiant is called "Valiant" is because the original intended name ("Voyager") was already trademarked by someone else.

I remember that Ms Marvel had changed her name at one time to Warbird but the name was soon abandoned thereafter. I don't remember seeing any report about it but would'nt be surprised if Marvel got dinged by Paramount over the name.

Quote Originally Posted by bclewis45 View Post
    I remember that Ms Marvel had changed her name at one time to Warbird but the name was soon abandoned thereafter. I don't remember seeing any report about it but would'nt be surprised if Marvel got dinged by Paramount over the name.
    Well, they have a Shi'ar character named Warbird in and amongst the various X-teams these days so I guess that problem cooled off a while back.
    Pull List: Marvel - Hawkeye, Daredevil; DC - Batwoman, Dial H; Image - Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Stevonicus View Post
    Well, they have a Shi'ar character named Warbird in and amongst the various X-teams these days so I guess that problem cooled off a while back.
    It's not so much the name as what appears on the cover of the book. That's why Captain Marvel's book has been called SHAZAM! for decades...because Marvel owns the trademark on "Captain Marvel".

There may have been a Ms. Marvel/Miss Marvel issue for a time, but it must not be an issue any more since Marvel has published Ms. Marvel books.

Also, and please correct me if I am wrong, TMs either have to be continuously published or renewed. That's how Marvel lost the ability to use "Champions" and it's why some suggest they randomly publish a new book under a specific TM every so often like "Captain Marvel" or "Defenders".

Ha, I don't think simply changing the name to "Robert Kirkman's Outcast" would fly.

If that were the case say hello to "Rollo Tomassi's The Walking Dead" and "Rollo Tomassi's Invincible" coming soon!
    I believe all that needs to be said has been. So here’s my two cents.”
    -- ScottMC, inadvertently summing up the Internet.

I'm kind of surprised Valiant made a thing over this. They have one single issue with the name Outcast. I figured, being still kind of new, that Valiant would want to play nice with the other companies and let this slide. Or, I would have tried to make some kind of backroom deal. "Hey, Bob, we'll give you the name 'Outcast," but you have to write an issue of Shadowman."
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    I'm kind of surprised Valiant made a thing over this. They have one single issue with the name Outcast. I figured, being still kind of new, that Valiant would want to play nice with the other companies and let this slide. Or, I would have tried to make some kind of backroom deal. "Hey, Bob, we'll give you the name 'Outcast," but you have to write an issue of Shadowman."
    Giving out a property that they can use for whatever concept they can come up with in the coming years and potentially have another ongoing series in exchange for making nice with Kirkman doesnt sound like a fair trade to me.

Plus its not that big of a deal for Kirkman, new comics change their title early on at times. Look at what happened to Collider at Vertigo.
    Last edited by havok1977; 11-02-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Yet they still can't remember "Secret Weapons" during interviews...lol
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Aside from any legal troubles this comic might have I think what should really be asked is: Is Kirkman going to use his fame from The Walking Dead to start and sell loads of comics from a new series (Outcast) just to change writers after the first story arc like he did with "Thief of Thieves"?