Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: X-Men: Battle of the Atom, #2

"Battle of the Atom" comes to a stumbling awkward end, including a few impotent deaths in "X-Men: Battle of the Atom" #2.

Full review here.

2 out of 5

This wretched crossover made me drop all X-Men titles from my pull list. What was the point? Bendis is just the worst.

yeah, i liked where the story was going, but then it all sort of ended and nothing really happened. some future x-men die, but who cares? that doesn't matter in the present.

asshole jean and future xavier's plan was to have the x-men turn on shield by using shield weapons fire on the x-men. that's easily fixed with a conversation between Hill and wolverine (ya know, avengers and shit), although the fact that shield has sentinels is a good future story.

so kitty and the new(old) x-men join Scott's team. so what?

i just, dont see what the point of all this was.

Deadly media warrior cayce pollard's Avatar

After 10 issues, we still don't know why O5 mattered to the Brotherhood and what is really going to happen in the future. Why JG is in the Brotherhood? Why the Future XMen are so composed? Do we get Wiccan because he's a kind of Magneto's grandson? Why Shogo is in a third rate Iron Man suit? And, above everything else, do we really need more (SHIELD's) sentinels? Now, after bazillions of sentinels-related stories? (hint, hint)
    Looked like a swindle, to me.

I'm just a po' boy Craig Zlitscht's Avatar

kitty should be cyclops' other right hand. keep him in check
    Cyclops fans stay strong, stay true, stay humble. IN CYCLOPS WE TRUST
    AguynamedJames "jean desiring logan is akin to bestiality."

I'm just a po' boy Craig Zlitscht's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cayce pollard View Post
    After 10 issues, we still don't know why O5 mattered to the Brotherhood and what is really going to happen in the future. Why JG is in the Brotherhood? Why the Future XMen are so composed? Do we get Wiccan because he's a kind of Magneto's grandson? Why Shogo is in a third rate Iron Man suit? And, above everything else, do we really need more (SHIELD's) sentinels? Now, after bazillions of sentinels-related stories? (hint, hint)
    Looked like a swindle, to me.
    sounds like one of my fanfics. hinting at real plot without ever unfolding it.
    Cyclops fans stay strong, stay true, stay humble. IN CYCLOPS WE TRUST
    AguynamedJames "jean desiring logan is akin to bestiality."

A guy who loves comics Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

This issue was a frikkin' mess. It's like they forgot they had to end things and just slapped this issue together as fast as they could in order to hit a deadline.

And Xorn-Jean "overloads" her powers and explodes? Really? Is she a frikkin' computer packed with dynamite? And her talking to Phoenix Quire about how the Phoenix is calling to her leads nowhere: so why even freakin' say that? What was the point?

And in the epilogue where Kitty leaves the Jean Grey School, it just seems like she freaks out for no reason and doesn't really give a good answer as to why she's leaving. The page count might've been tight, but come on. They could have done much better than that. And when they showed the O5 in that shot, where was Warren? Was he still with Cyclops's team? There were several shots where he was blatantly omitted: why?

This event had promise, but it went nowhere fast, and this "ending" was one of the worst I've read in a long, LONG time. It was so bad that it dragged the event as a whole from decent to outright BAD.

I'm still excited about the books going forward (mainly All-New and Uncanny, but, man, this event sucked. Let's wash our hands of it and move on.
    What else can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Zlitscht View Post
    sounds like one of my fanfics. hinting at real plot without ever unfolding it.
    Hah. You shouldn't have said that. Now who's gonna read your fanfics?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    Hah. You shouldn't have said that. Now who's gonna read your fanfics?
    The morbidly curious.

Link us, I want to see how your fanfic compares to the work of a true master like Jason Aaron

I agree that the inconsistent art in this issue was a real drag. I thought the story was great, however. I think the reveal that SHIELD has sentinels is a great hook for future stories. We also still don't know who killed Dazzler (and Madrox!) in the future, which is sort of bound up with the formation of the future Brotherhood. I like having that mystery out there as well.

All-in-all, I think this story did a great job of (hopefully) putting a cork in time travel for the foreseeable future. Age of Ultron was supposed to do this, but it was a miserable failure. I like that future-Deadpool and future-Molly Hayes are now in our time. I think the Molly Hayes story will also be really interesting, and I hope it means we get more Runaways soon. I am less thrilled that Kid Xavier and Raze are still around. Xavier needed to stay dead for a while, and the whole "Wolverines progeny are routinely awful" storyline is overplayed. (I also think his powerset is just too crazy). Of course, I was hoping they would also let Nightcrawler stay dead.

Overall, this was probably my favorite X-crossover since Utopia (and much better than all of the Messiah War nonsense).

He who breeds Pestilence TheSpawnOfDeth's Avatar

So Bendis writes another non-event AND the 05 brats are staying. Wasn't that the point of this crap? Them going back an not random future nonsense. Nothing even really happened. So now the book will continue to focus on younger version of characters we for the most part already have...Fantastic.
    Waiting for book:Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Quicksilver[x]Ghost Rider[x], Bucky Barnes[x], Gambit[x]

Favorite Marvel book: Uncanny Avengers/Favorite DC book: Animal-Man

I hate first-world feminist.

i really hope the X-editorial team takes all these comments and reviews, and learns something from it. they might have gotten the sales they wanted but they released a really poor product overall and i hope it doesn't continue.
    I Draw Pictures All Day:
    http://mikesegawa.com/

Well, the final issue had one effect

It convinced me to drop Uncanny.

I'm sorry, I'm mostly neutral on the actual 'debate' (what little there is) between Cyke and Logan, but I was not sold on the O5 kids before, and am doubly not so now. Plus Kitty in those last pages was acting like a child, when put in context of how those issues actually played out. A major superhero team didn't listen to your gut feeling and now you feel abandoned by them? Please. They could've made that work, (perhaps by tying in the 'Storm taking over' angle a bit more closely) but they really didn't. Bendis just wants to consolidate his characters, and... none of the remaining main characters there I care for any more. Perhaps Emma, if she wasn't written by Bendis, and the kids are ok... but they're not the focus of the book.

Beyond that, we still don't know what made the future Brotherhood turn, or why the felt returning the O5 could've fixed it. It's still been primarily about the future characters, and the regular X-Men reacting to them. This was a tie up in the same manner as AoU 10. No twist, no change, no real climax even. Things just... resolve. End of.

It's not the worst thing ever, sure. From an action point of view, it was good, and I am pleased that they seem to be trying to make Magik more.... well, human, rather than crazy demon monster. (I'd say they aren't doing the transition well, but I at least agree with the sentiment.)

There's just.... nothing of substance here. I don't nessecarily mean intellectual, but there's nothing to change the X-Men or to build on for the future, nothing to make me get excited or depressed. All I have left is my irritation at how some of the characters were acting, and how two dimensional evil the Brotherhood ended up coming off.

PS: It might just be me, but... am I the only one who keeps on finding Bendis' villains more sympathetic than the heroes? I was rooting for J-Son over in GotG over his irritating whiny self-entitled son, and here (before this point) the Brotherhood came off as world weary soldiers desperately trying to make their future better against the wishes of the status quo.

Marvel always sucks me into a book with the artwork. Sadly, it's hard not to ignore the crap writing that goes with the art. I'll buy the book and like most collectors who loathed this crossover event can "proudly" say we survived the crapfest that was Battle of the Atom. I feel like a drug addict who can't say no to X-men comic books, no matter how awful it is.