Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I think her Handbook entry stated the cloud she controlled may be of alien origin which could tie her into the Cloud character who was a Defenders years ago. That takes care of the main characters but their were a lot of secondary character Proton, Melee, Johnny Cool, Supernaut, Paydirt, Star Sign, Vox, Prima Donna, Think Tank, Whiz Kid, Telemetry ect.

Yeah I believe it was mentioned somewhere that her cloud powers could be alien in origin but I don't think it was ever 100% confirmed & it could do with a bit of further explanation. You're right about the secondary characters in that the vast majority of them didn't have explanations for their powers but they didn't really get a lot of face time so while I wouldn't mind seeing explanations for any of them it's not hard to see why we didn't get them.

In the Ultimate Univers Geldoff/Proton's powers were pretty clearly explained so we could maybe assume his 616 counterpart received his powers in a similar fashion (via experimentation while he was still in his mothers womb)

The only other real character I think they could've explained a little more apart from Cloud 9 was Baron Von Blitzschlag . We know he was a ex Nazi villain/scientist but beyond that the origin of his powers was left pretty vague...Speaking of the Baron I think it would be pretty neat if James Robinson could sneak in a cameo for the good old baron in All New Invaders.

Originally anybody who was born with superpowers was called a mutant, while those who gained them later was a mutate. If Hulk bumped uglies with Carol Denvers and produced a superpowered little freak, their child would be called a mutant.

But nowadays, you are a mutant only if your powers come from an x-gene. If you are born with superpowers, but you don't have an x-gene, you aren't a mutant: Superior, Quake, Mettle, Hazmat, Veil, Striker, Slingshot, Skaar, Lyra, Sebastian Druid, Hellfire and others like them were born with superpowers, but they aren't considered mutants.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter F. View Post
    What was the point of explicitly saying they weren't mutants if they were never even going to bother explaining where their powers came from

Striker, Veil, Cloud 9 too
    Well, the point is to explicitly say what they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Quake on more than one occasion has been refereed to as a mutant.
    Mutant, yes, but explicitly not the X-Gene kind.

I don't believe any of the Avengers Academy kids were born with their powers. Or at least we don't know where they got them. In the Marvel Universe, you can more than likely get super-powers from eating too much of specially marked packages of that 5 gum. "Stimulate your senses" or your genes?
    Last edited by The Black Guardian; 11-05-2013 at 04:42 AM.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Originally anybody who was born with superpowers was called a mutant, while those who gained them later was a mutate. If Hulk bumped uglies with Carol Denvers and produced a superpowered little freak, their child would be called a mutant.

But nowadays, you are a mutant only if your powers come from an x-gene. If you are born with superpowers, but you don't have an x-gene, you aren't a mutant: Superior, Quake, Mettle, Hazmat, Veil, Striker, Slingshot, Skaar, Lyra, Sebastian Druid, Hellfire and others like them were born with superpowers, but they aren't considered mutants.
    This... also due to various instances such as the deal with Fox for the X-Men and over reliance on connecting mutants to that franchise, Marvel via House of M and other editorial mandates pretty much made sure that mutants were a much more exclusive club then they were during the late 80s and throughout the 90s, hence making sure young people that developed powers are identified as not being mutants usually in their first appearances.

Edit: Although thinking on it now, I guess the easier power origin of them being Inhuman descendents will probably be taking the old mutant origin's place.