Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I wish DC...

Default I wish DC...

Dream on. This is the thread to expose your wildest, weirdest, fap, fap, fap, most ambitious wishes about DC.
    You can be brief or make the parchment roll across the floor. It doesn't matter.
    Don't concern yourself with how realistic your ideas are (we can discuss that, anyway, but it's not really the point).
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

1. Managed to keep all the great writers returning. No situations like those of Moore or Isabella.
    2. Kept all the classics as their creators or (biggest contributors in some cases) left them. Maxwell is a good sleazeball, Ted is alive, and so on.
    3. Returned to an alternation between short and long stories.
    4. Brought back comedy.
    5. Explored the multiverse.
    6. Let more writers do their own universes.
    7. Explored more genres.
    8. Did heavier headhunt. We need a second British invasion.
    9. Wasn't ashamed of spandex and trunks.
    10. Did a JLU roster and took more cues from the DCAU.
    11. Had a line to incubate properties with strong following and acclaim, even if they didn't sell as much.
    12. Brought back anthology books.
    13. Got books for The Elongated Man, Blue and Gold, Freakazoid (ok, this one is a weird one, but it's my damn wish), Black Lightning and Zatanna (see #11).
    14. Had seasons, so that half the books provided a jumping point on January and half on July.
    15. Dropped the whole death-replacement-resurrection shtick. It was only well done with Superman, and that's because it was all planned.
    16. Allowed some Marriages. If the continuity is young, just the Dibnys and the Halls, as time goes on, let life do the same: Currys, Allens, Palmers, Kents. Hell, eventually let Selina and Bruce live together, I think they are the kind of people that would have a Helena way before they get married (if they do). Selina is the kind of gal that after knowing that Bruce is Batman would drop unannounced at the Wayne Manor to take a room for a long while (Faye Valentiene style).
    17. Restored Wally's generation as 16-to-20 Titans. Tim stays at the bat-cave, helping, training, serving as comic relief and doing his damn homework. Titans: Nightwing, The Scarlet Speedster, Red Arrow, Amazon, Garth, Beast-boy, Starfire, Raven, Cyborg, Static.
    18. Introduced the missing characters created for other media: Egghead, King Tut (with the histrionic personality, this time), Apache Chief, Samurai, Golden Pharaoh, Sam and Jayna.
    19. Moved Ws to another Earth.
    20. Introduced other WB owned superheroes: the Quest family, Space Ghost, Birdman, Freakazoid. The Venture Bros. would need a separate Earth.
    21. Went back to the most iconic character designs. Mostly Timm's and Bronze age.

----------
    *Made Bruce Timm the leader of DC.
    *Stopped killing the Kents and specially the Allens.
    *Geoff to work on a JSA set on an "Earth-1941"
    *Made Braniac a Kryptonian supercomputer.
    *Killed/retired Simon Baz.
    *Stopped this Superman/Wonder Woman ship.
    *Made Mongol a Superman villain again, and not a Green Lantern one.
    Last edited by Rafa-Rivas-2099; 10-31-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: I'm stealing some bulletpoints from Desh :D
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post
    1. Managed to keep all the great writers returning. No situations like those of Moore or Isabella.
    2. Kept all the classics as their creators or (biggest contributors in some cases) left them. Maxwell is a good sleazeball, Ted is alive, and so on.
    3. Returned to an alternation between short and long stories.
    4. Brought back comedy.
    5. Explored the multiverse.
    6. Let more writers do their own universes.
    7. Explored more genres.
    8. Did heavier head hunt. We need a second British invasion.
    9. Wasn't ashamed of spandex and trunks.
    10. Did a JLU roster.
    11. Had a line to incubate properties with strong following and acclaim, even if they didn't sell as much.
    THIS.
    If they managed to do all this, DC would be back to what were, for me, their best times, back when they were publishing things like Swamp Thing, Sandman, Doom Patrol, Shade, Legends of the Dark Knight, JLI, Suicide Squad, etc. I would add that there should be in-continuity vertigoesque books, like Swamp Thing or Animal Man used to be. An actually mature take, well written, thoughtful and involved, not some half-assed adolescent gloomy gorefest, on both familiar and half forgotten characters.

With Batman in particular, I wish the structure in his books was this:
    Batman - starring Batman
    Detective Comics - starring the GCPD, like the old Gotham Central, and showcasing Gotham in general
    Batman & Robin - focusing on the whatever current Robin and his relationship with Batman
    Red Robin - starring Tim Drake
    Nightwing - starring Dick Grayson
    Batgirl - Stephanie Brown!
    The Dark Knight - A more Vertigo like series, featuring exclusively top creators, Gaiman, Moore, Morrison, good Milligan-type guys. Semi-regular, it would be allowed whatever delays the writer/artist/colorist required. Maybe even more like a banner under which to publish half-in-continuity mini-series or maxi-series by the kind of more "personal and artsy" creators mentioned above.

And finally, and possibly the MOST unlikely, I'd like it if there was some kind of stablished equivalent DCyears by real year, say, 5 real world years of publication would be about one year in-story, and that the characters could progress. Bruce retire, Flashes change around, Green Lanters extinguish, etc. It would be forbidden to bring back characters who've been dead for three years or more.

Would drop their sh*tty house coloring style.

A simple, simple wish.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

would recognize their legacy.

They let Dick Grayson be Batman of the modern day for at least 5 years.
    No, but you don't understand, it's Batman written by Scott Snyder! You have to love it! 5 stars all around!

Creator of Bounty Hunter FrogMan's Avatar

Would give us back a Captain Carrot book.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
    Would give us back a Captain Carrot book.
    I remember him! I was reading some old comics earlier this week and came across an issue which had a subscription form and there he was, Captain Carrot!

Would drop their belief that Marriage is pointless, and that comics are only for 45 year olds (seriously!).

Made Luthor steal cakes. 40 of them.

Made Bruce Timm the leader of DC.
    Stopped killing the Kents.
    Used Wally West instead of Barry Allen.
    Brought in the Shayera Hol Hawkgirl with her look and characterization from the Justice League cartoon.
    Put John Stewart (and Shayera Hol Hawkgirl) on the Justice League.
    Removed Geoff Johns as writer on Justice League, and left him to revitalize characters he likes using, like Aquaman and Shazam.
    Put Cyborg back on the Teen Titans and revamped that whole title and roster.
    Redesigned Cyborg to make him, you know, more appealing.
    Changed Harley Quinn's design back to the Bruce Timm one.
    Made Braniac a Kryptonian supercomputer, like how he is in Superman: The Animated Series. That is a way better origin for the character.
    Killed/retired Simon Baz. Do whatever to get him to stop being a Lantern and never bring him back. He's lame and cluttering things up.
    Stopped this Superman/Wonder Woman ship.
    Made Mongol a Superman villain again, and not a Green Lantern one.

I'll probably think of more stuff.
    Last edited by Desh; 10-31-2013 at 01:52 AM.
    http://www.greenlantern.co - The all new Green Lantern John Stewart website!

Whilst I would welcome some requests mentioned here already, and I'm not adverse to wallowing in nostalgia myself, it would be just as well extending the the title of the thread to

"I wish DC......would go back to the way it was when I first started reading their books"

Everyone sees the standard and status quo from when they were growing up to be THE DC UNIVERSE"

Life changes people, we need to accept it........not that I don't have my own grumbles with what is going on just now.

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Made Braniac a Kryptonian supercomputer, like how he is in Superman: The Animated Series. That is a way better origin for the character.
    Well someone hasn't read that Brainiac one-shot...

Made Mongol a Superman villain again, and not a Green Lantern one.
    They are soon, in Batman/Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by HeidTheBaw View Post
    Whilst I would welcome some requests mentioned here already, and I'm not adverse to wallowing in nostalgia myself, it would be just as well extending the the title of the thread to

"I wish DC......would go back to the way it was when I first started reading their books"

Everyone sees the standard and status quo from when they were growing up to be THE DC UNIVERSE"

Life changes people, we need to accept it........not that I don't have my own grumbles with what is going on just now.
    This is to be expected from threads like these. Let me indulge in such nostalgia:

Give Dick Grayson A-list talent
    Finished ASBAR fof the lulz
    Give Batman his intelligence back
    Changed the creative team for Batman &...
    Brought back Hal and Carol
    Gave Lois Lane something to do
    Have Grant Morrison reboot the Green Lantern franchise #ultimatecomicbookdream
    Stopped ruining the new gods
    Allowed writers to write within reasons
    Fire anyone on the Superbooks who thinks Superman is a "farmboy at heart". That crap is outdated and just plain terrible
    Only give Superman and Batman two solo books with no team up books except for Batman &...
    Erased the modern incarnation of the Teen Titans from continuity
    Desaad: Guess they found out [Mr. Mastermind] was Holmes?

ABH-1979: Really? I don't think so. I actually liked Holmes...

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Used Wally West instead of Barry Allen.
    Removed Geoff Johns as writer on Justice League, and left him to revitalize characters he likes using, like Aquaman and Shazam.
    Killed/retired Simon Baz. Do whatever to get him to stop being a Lantern and never bring him back. He's lame and cluttering things up.
    Big pile of NOPE,

However I agree with the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    Well someone hasn't read that Brainiac one-shot...

They are soon, in Batman/Superman.

This is to be expected from threads like these. Let me indulge in such nostalgia:

Give Dick Grayson A-list talent
    Finished ASBAR fof the lulz
    Give Batman his intelligence back
    Changed the creative team for Batman &...
    Brought back Hal and Carol
    Gave Lois Lane something to do
    Have Grant Morrison reboot the Green Lantern franchise #ultimatecomicbookdream
    Stopped ruining the new gods
    Allowed writers to write within reasons
    Fire anyone on the Superbooks who thinks Superman is a "farmboy at heart". That crap is outdated and just plain terrible
    Only give Superman and Batman two solo books with no team up books except for Batman &...
    Erased the modern incarnation of the Teen Titans from continuity
    I'd love Morrison on Green Lantern, but that makes me think that, now that he's leaving, they need to get new GREAT writers. Getting Gaiman to do a little Sandman isn't enough. They need more, and new, Moore-level writers.