Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Thor: The Dark World *Spoilers*

So I watched the film this morning from 12:30 to roughly 2:55 and whilst I see there is a thread this is for discussion and seeing as its opened in UK markets here it is.

I really, really enjoyed this film. So far, besides Avengers, both IM3 and this are better than Phase One.
    The story starts with the prologue showing Malekith being beaten by the forces of Asgard and several other realms, being a coward, he causes most of his men to die in a attempt to kill off the most asgardians he can and, with his sidekick Algrim they retreat to a dark sleep. Its a good start, we see malekith has the Aether and, once beaten, Thor's grandfather Bor, realising it cannot be destroyed has it buried deep. Which ends up being an abandoned east london building.
    Next we see Loki being sentenced and once again Hiddlestone is great, never shies away from a snarky comment or clever joke but even he can't accept his punishment but alas he ends up in the cell. I won't tell the whole story but we see Thor and the warrior three finally end the chaos in the realms and there is the slightest of hints towards a love triangle with Sif but thats quickly shot down. Jane is on earth, in london and tries a date with this guy named Richard but its just not working, thankfully Darcy (Kat Dennings, who really has a much better role than the first film. The girls hilarious) arrives and some science-woohah leads to the abandoned building.
    From there we learn Selvig has gone mad (Hilariously caught on ITV news running around stonehenge naked!) and Jane finds the aether in the building where, when things are dropped they come back from the sky, a funny part being Darcy's intern Ian (Or 'Intern' as she calls him all the time) dropping their car keys and guess what? They don't return! Really got some laughs there.
    Basically Jane finds the Aether and it 'possesses' her, on Asgard people notice that Thor is not happy however there is still dispute amongst him and Odin. Heidmall fails to 'spot' Jane when she is taken through a portal which again is too much science for me so Thor arrives, dazzling in the rain. And receives two slaps from Jane! :) Funny again!

So I need to wrap this up. Malekith wakes up and Algrim offers to become 'Kursed' which is Kurse and I have to say, visually he is one of the best on-screen villains I have seen. Thor takes Jane to Asgard for healthcare but Odin is still bullish. Next Malekith 'tracks' down the Aether and, first, Kurse and I think some dark elves allow themselves to be captured however they soon fight back and release the other prisoners however, Kurse studies Loki and walks away. Another funny scene showing Loki casually reading whilst there is chaos. Thor then joins the fight and Odin does something! However, a 'trojan horse' is then sent into Asgard in the form of a spaceship which Heidmall destroys however, several then enter causing chaos and fighting. Malekeith or Malekith? Goes for Jane and is tricked by Frigga. Sadly he kills her just as Thor and Odin arrive and he departs. Next is a true viking funeral with the burning of the corpse in the sea. Odin is too bullish and rather wait for Mala and his army to come to Asgard instead of going for him. Making a plan, Thor goes to Loki and loki appears to be in a gaming mood however, Thor tells him 'No illusions' and we see the real Loki, trashed room, scarred, dirty and pretty bad. He admits he loved Frigga in a way and agrees with Thors plan, this is a cool sequence where we see Thor, warriors three ect at a table discussing the issues and the next scene showing it being solved. As Thor takes Loki out he mocks Thor and, in one of the best scenes he changes into a captain (REMEMBER THIS GUY!) Thor into Sif, and calls him 'ravishing'

AND NEXT A CAPTAIN AMERICA CAMEO! WHERE HE MOCKS CAPTAIN BEFORE THOR GETS ANGRY! HILARIOUS. I hear its actually Evans!
    Odin is angry and sends men to thor.
    Next Thor, Loki and Jane escape Asgard via a boat with the warriors three help, with them threatening Loki incase he betrays thor. As they escape on the ship, thor can't control it and loki again mocks him each time before jane collapses and, nonchanlantly loki asks 'Is she dead?' its pure gold, real banter and just exciting.
    After some more travelling and Darcy meeting up with Selvig on earth who is revealed to be mentally ill after Loki and a Stan Lee cameo! Selvig is presenting some wierd theory in what appears to be a classroom but is revealed to be a carehome before Lee asks 'Can i have my shoe back?' after Selvig used the shoes to show that the event, where all the planets form in one line, the convergence, will happen.
    So they arrive in the wasteland and loki keeps asking if thor trusts him and he says no, malekith is there, drawn to the Aether in jane. And next thor frees Loki's shackles and in 3 seconds he withdraws a knife into thors abdomen and throws him down the mountain side to Malekith and Kurse, mocking him and asking Mala to allow him to watch Asgard fall. Next, I believe Loki slices off thors hand! SHOCKER. Then Mala levitates Jane and absorbs the darkness then.
    THOR CALLS TO LOKI! HIS ARM REGROWS AND BOTH LOKI AND THOR FIGHT AGAINST MALA AND HIS ARMY! Its a good scene, Loki takes out some elves and thor does however, Kurse is far too strong and proceeds to 'hammer' (Pardon the pun) thor even being able to stop mjolnir, loki then goes over and appears to sacrifice himself for thor, he stabs kurse in the chest but kurse pulls himself into loki, sharing the blade, he tosses loki off but its next shown that loki placed a bomb into him and the darkness 'consumes' Kurse. Next loki lays dying and reveals he didn't do it for Odin. I believe he meant he did it for Thor.
    So Jane and Thor are angry, they go to a cave for shelter and Jane's phone starts ringing, richard is calling and thors face is hilarious, they end up finding ALL the things that didn't return in the building as sometimes it just didn't work. Next they're back in the site and head out to save the day. Malekith is now on earth, east london specifically and a battle engages as his ship emerges from the sea into the building, thor and mala engage however his darkness is too strong for thor, so he uses the portals amongst the worlds to keep changing the area and we see more funny scenes, such as Darcy kissing Ian and ending up being teleported right in from of Thor and Jane! Also Thor rides the tube in a funny scene. As the battle rages on the elves are 'consumed' by some science woo-hah and eventually Malekith loses the Aether and ends up in the wasteland and, just as the ship is about to collapse into thor/jane Selvig teleports it into malkeith. Crushing jim. Is he dead? I'm not sure......

So next Jane is shown at a table with Ian, Eric and Darcy and they question if thor is to return after his previous two years abscense and its rather awkward. On Asgard thor is below Odin and, whilst Odin cannot agree or disagree with Jane and Thor he tells thor to 'go' rather fatheringly.

Oh wait. Remember that captain loki turned into? He was the one who announced Lokis death to odin and...

AS THOR LEAVES. ODIN SUDDENLY REVEALS HIMSELF TO BE...LOKI. WHO IS STILL ALIVE AND NOW THE KING OF ASGARD! IT DOESN'T SAY BUT HE SAYS SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF HIM BENEFITING FROM IT.

AND THE POST-CREDIT SCENE IS AWESOME. Sif And Volstagg are in this wierd room with a female acting like...an alien....
    and the room is full of crazy stuff, they go to a guy who is known as the collector (YOU KNOW ITS COMING)
    AND HE LOOKS AWESOME. WHITE HAIR, WHITE GLOVES, ELABORATE DISPLAY AND HE TAKES ONE OF THEIR THINGS INTO HIS COLLECTION. NOT SURE IF ITS THE AETHER.

AND THESE LINES MADE ME SO HAPPY
    'One down, five to go'

AND YES. THEY'RE EVEN NAMED AS INFINITY STONES.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Overall 8/10.
    Great humour
    Loki on top form
    Amazing scenes
    Brilliant ending
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Great action. And it was hilarious, without the jokes feeling forced (unlike IM3, where the humour felt stiff and flat to me).

Loki was brilliant as usual. That Captain America scene was just so damn funny.

Jane was better used in this one. She had stuff to do, and actually helped save the day. Thor would have failed without her. I like that.

And now 2 of the Infinity Gems are revealed. The Tesseract is clearly the Space gem. The Aether is I believe the Power gem. 4 more to go.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

I loved it. Amazing. And the gems, brilliant. I had a thought the tesseract was a space gem. The Collector looks awesome. Did you catch the very final scene?

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I loved it. Amazing. And the gems, brilliant. I had a thought the tesseract was a space gem. The Collector looks awesome. Did you catch the very final scene?
    No. I missed it.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

I heard Thor comes back to Earth and reunites with Jane. Fitting
    http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/10/22...cene-spoilers/

Heres more on both scenes.
    Last edited by DebkoX; 10-30-2013 at 01:57 PM.

SPOILERS AHOY!

Better than any of the Phase One films with the exception of Avengers for me, and I enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3, though I am more a fan of Thor than Iron Man which may colour my expectations/preferences. Most of the humour was genuinely funny, I was very surprised by the comedy goldmine that is Stellan Skasgard in various states of undress! Most of it felt natural too, rather than the quips-per-scene rota that IM3 seemed to fall into, and that Whedon has been known to abuse somewhat. (Hiddlestone manages an even funnier "TA-DA!" than Heath Ledger as the Joker.)

It was pretty much the Thor and Loki buddy movie - Sif, Heimdall, Odin and the Warriors Three all got written out pretty quickly, and Jane really didn't actually do very much at all for most of the film prior to the climax. On the plus side, it was the Thor and Loki buddy movie. I could quite happily watch Hemsworth and Hiddlestone just chatting away on that flying barge thing, no need for trivialities such as action or plot. That said, the fights were easily as good as the first film, better in fact, the new director has Branagh beat in action chops for my money. The climactic fight was also probably the best of any superhero movie yet with the dimension shifts changing the situation and the upper hand frequently. I must admit that as villains go, Malekith was pretty boring and simplistic, but we had Loki to do the heavy lifting villainous-scheming wise.

My ONLY quibble is with the ending. I never once thought that Loki was actually gone for good, but with that reveal it meant the film ended with us not knowing what happened to Sif, the Warriors 3, Heimdall, Odin... which is quite important. Odin was/is at the point of a psychotic break when we last saw him, where in the nine realms did he go to? Thor's buddies are/were all charged with treason - what happened to them? I don't mind if it wasn't spelt out explicitly, but even a vague hint is better than them simply vanishing without a trace.

8-9/10, really really enjoyed it. Can see this being another trilogy, IM3 style, with Thor ending up on the throne of Asgard at the very end. Bring it on!

Well we did see Sif and Volstagg go to the Collectors room. I'm not sure about Odin. I think thats the cliff-hanger for some.

The very end scene show Thor return to Jane and then the monster that got sucked through the convergence chasing birds in the abandoned buildings.

Zach looked so weird as a blonde. Seeing Chris ODowd was great cos I had forgotten he was going to be in it. Also nice seeing Idris Elba get some more to do. Great cast for this movie. Really loved it. Only weak part was the villian for me just cos the motive is so overdone but characters, action and laughs out weighed it heavily.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

Thanks for the reviews everyone! I'm so pumped to see it next week. It sounds awesome

Disjointed spoilers below!

I've just got back from seeing this and thought it was awesome, far better then IRON MAN 3 (which, of course, was the first wave 2 film) and I say that despite being (in the minority) a fan of IM3. Kat Denning as Darcy is awesome (I loved her in the first film and she's awesome here to). The death of Freya was a genuine shock and it was nice to see Heimdell have more of a role then he did in the first film.

The twist with Loki being alive at the end was unexpected but I liked it (more Tom Hiddleston as Thor can only be a GOOD thing).

Funniest moment of the film was probably Loki posing as Cap (I hear rumours Chris Evans actually did that scene, if its true its kind of awesome!).

he *only* thing that I felt was a bit out of place was the post credit scene with the Collector, obviously this is a teaser for GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY but it just seemed odd (that said, I never mind Jamie Alexander having screen time though! )

I will try and do more composed thoughts tomorrow when I'm not half asleep but the general gist of it is Chris Ecclestone does well as Malekith, but I am less impressed with Kurse and I really like Kat Denning and Natalie Portman (whose role as Jane Foster here is actually much stronger then it was in THOR).

I'd still like to see Kat Denning in AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D but that's aa whole separate conversation!

Cheers.

James.
    Last edited by James Hunter; 10-30-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Any Dream worth Having Is A Dream worth Fighting For.

It was a decent bit of superhero/fantasy-entertainment, but certainly nothing special IMO. I was especially disappointed in Malekith, who has to be one of the worst superhero-movie villains in recent memory. Not a physical threat, not a psychological threat, no mirroring of the hero or thematic connections with Thor or the story as a whole and guided by the most basic of motivations... Useless. The story in itself was fairly ho-hum as well, but it did provide opportunitites for good action sequences and solid Shakespearian family drama (much better and more subtle than in the first Thor) which is of course commendable. I was also surprisingly entertained by the amount of humor in the film, it worked well with the general tone and was even pretty funny here and there. A 5/10 for me.
    "Doesn't everyone on here hate comics? Isn't this a forum where a bunch of middle aged men sit around and bitch about how they hate comics and haven't read them in twenty years?" -Mezzaro-

The Asgardian power levels fluctuated quite wildly in this movie. At first, they were beating the dark elves on a hostile soil, but the modern day Asgardians weren't even fully able to defend their own city? Heimdall was yet again unable to properly defend Asgard, since his fabled vision was now blocked by dark elves stealth technology; his clairvoyance seems to be only useful in peeking human ladies. Odin could've used some action aswell; all he did was blast one unnamed elf grunt. Sure they can't be as powerful as the comic versions are, but would a small glimpse of the fabled odinpower have killed the movie? He could've at least fixed the damage done to his halls or something like that.

It was great. Better than the first Thor, and the humor works better here than in Iron Man 3.

The action sequences are also just so damn good.

8/10.

One more thing: is it just me, or was the greenish thing behind Sif & Volstagg in the after credits scene a cocoon of some sorts?...