Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Teen Titans Annual, #2

Leading into next month's landmark issue #25, the Teen Titans continue their trip through time as the team must confront Jon Lane Kent, the Superboy of the future, who could one day wipe out the most powerful heroes on Earth. Can the Titan's Superboy defeat the man he was cloned from by Harvest?

Full article here.

"He was created from genes of two world…"

…Did they seriously forget that it's supposed to the "worlds"?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    "He was created from genes of two world…"

…Did they seriously forget that it's supposed to the "worlds"?
    There's typos in comic books, that's really no big deal. I know Green Arrow had it last week, I believe. Justice League had improper grammar before Trinity War. Not that big of a deal if you know what they mean.

This looks pretty good, actually. Batman dead and put in a chamber. Alfred's cremated remains lying on the floor of the Batcave. What the f*ck happened?! I'll be interested to find out tomorrow.

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo2113 View Post
    This looks pretty good, actually. Batman dead and put in a chamber. Alfred's cremated remains lying on the floor of the Batcave. What the f*ck happened?! I'll be interested to find out tomorrow.
    Jon lane kent happened
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

Alfred was still alive 20 years from now? I'll have what he's having!
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Superboy is one of the very few characters I feel has actually been messed up.

A lot of characters have been mis-handled - Hawkman, for instance, has been troublesome since his 'launch' in the New 52 - but their bases are all salvageable. Hawkman as a dune-style alien warrior, adventures on harsh Thanagar and on the far-flung worlds of the crumbling Thanagarian empire...there's a lot of potential there, even if I think there was more in the previous version.

But Superboy started off brilliantly. It's own concept/idea, different and kind of edgey but with enough connective tissue to what came before to make it interesting. A Superman/Lex Luthor hybrid (clearly what they were going for) that maybe veered a little more towards the Lex Luthor side of things than any previous iteration, and had a much stronger sci-fi cyberpunk feel. It would have positioned the character to occupy a new place not just in the Superman-universe, but within the greater DCU had it been followed up upon.

But it wasn't. The character was made bland through characterization first (which is forgivable, and easily fixed with a new writer change) and then made convoluted through weird time-alternate-reality plot mechanics. We were left with a generic character whose background was hard to understand.

And now we're getting a giant arc of the book tackling that convolution head on. Even if the point of this arc is to refute all that, to change it back (and I happen to think it will be), I think it's the wrong way to go about it.

Ah well. Maybe one day someone will have a shot at really revitalizing this character.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Superboy is one of the very few characters I feel has actually been messed up.

A lot of characters have been mis-handled - Hawkman, for instance, has been troublesome since his 'launch' in the New 52 - but their bases are all salvageable. Hawkman as a dune-style alien warrior, adventures on harsh Thanagar and on the far-flung worlds of the crumbling Thanagarian empire...there's a lot of potential there, even if I think there was more in the previous version.

But Superboy started off brilliantly. It's own concept/idea, different and kind of edgey but with enough connective tissue to what came before to make it interesting. A Superman/Lex Luthor hybrid (clearly what they were going for) that maybe veered a little more towards the Lex Luthor side of things than any previous iteration, and had a much stronger sci-fi cyberpunk feel. It would have positioned the character to occupy a new place not just in the Superman-universe, but within the greater DCU had it been followed up upon.

But it wasn't. The character was made bland through characterization first (which is forgivable, and easily fixed with a new writer change) and then made convoluted through weird time-alternate-reality plot mechanics. We were left with a generic character whose background was hard to understand.

And now we're getting a giant arc of the book tackling that convolution head on. Even if the point of this arc is to refute all that, to change it back (and I happen to think it will be), I think it's the wrong way to go about it.

Ah well. Maybe one day someone will have a shot at really revitalizing this character.

So how would you get him back to what he could have been from the beginning of his series then?
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

BANNED

While this title has some serious flaws I think the last few issues have been an improvement.

I'm not really familiar with the whole "Jon Lane Kent" angle, so I have to wonder what the point of the Superboy switch up is supposed to be. And I wouldn't mind seeing some of those future teen titans on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I'm not really familiar with the whole "Jon Lane Kent" angle, so I have to wonder what the point of the Superboy switch up is supposed to be. And I wouldn't mind seeing some of those future teen titans on a regular basis.
    They are trying to give the guy kons cloned from a feel of importance so it doesn't seem so random.also kon is dying,or getting lost in the time stream and thought to be dead,while Jon fakes being kon with the titans and behind the scenes putting his plan in motion,which is something to do with wiping out the metas,and god willing killing his father.

Isn't those future Titans The Movement members?
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch