Default Reading Order by Item Code?

I just noticed from an examination of Item Codes given to each comic, (to get a look at Item Codes go to Previews World website - example, for Mighty Avengers #3 INF the Item code is SEP 130668), that they have an order of hierarchy. Now I may be way off here, but I did a closed survey of the item codes dealing with the infinity Event books and I noticed an interesting consistency to the books when placed in that order. I put my Infinity books in that order, and was surprised to see the books fit continuity wise.

Has anybody else noticed whether the reading order of Marvel Comics, in Item Code order, fit continuity?
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-28-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Take a look at Diamond's order forms. The numbers correspond to the order in which the comics appear in the catalog. If that works for you as a reading order, great, but I don't think that's necessarily the intent.
    Expletive Deleted

Thanks for that link to the list. I would have liked the list to have gone back to 2006 but it ends at 2009, so I can't do a comparison to the reading order I have for Civil War onwards.

PS. I did try the reading order for CW in Item Code order, and it didn't work too well. It was interesting, but, you had incidents happening out of order, at times. If you can ignore that, then it is worth a try.

For instance, using Item Code order, ASM # 532 is the first issue of Civil War, and while that introduces the Stamford disaster, it emphasises the POTUS response of starting Tony Stark to think he has to take control. CW # 1, then shows Tony with that control in the end. The Item Code reading order makes for an interesting take on the roll out of the story.
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-31-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.