Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It'a actually about 3 piles at this point, and that's just the new stuff, not the trades on the shelf waiting to be read or the unread back issues in boxes

-M
    That's more like it!

I'm one 60cm pile and about 5 shelves that are the better part of a metre each.

I finished up Invincible v. 18 and finally got around to reading Harlan Ellison's 7 Against Chaos, which was pretty cool. Paul Chadwick really did an excellent job displaying the crazy concepts that Ellison came up with. I saw the end coming, but not until a few pages before. Still, a cool read.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Culé Forever

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    though the trade doesn't)
    The trade isn't on glossy paper? Hmmmmmmm.. hold on, let me open the plastic tonight and get back to ya..

Working my way through the piles of stuff

finished the Hunger mini reading the last 2 issues-good art by Kirk but the story was pedestrian and the ending unfulfilling as it just set up Cataclysm without having anything to make it stand on its own as a mini should. I'll be skipping Cataclysm though.

caught up on Simone's Red Sonja run-I had read the first issue when it came out but issues had been piling up, 5 came out this week so I read 2-5 plus the first issue of Legends of Red Sonja. I was meh over the first issue but Simone and Geovani have hit their stride on this series and won me over. Legends was a lot of fun and I look forward to the rest of this mini.

catching up on Waid's DD, didn't get this week's issue as all the copies came in to our shop damaged from Diamond, so have to wait until they get damage replacements, but read #32 and was tickled to see Doc Strange appear and the Darkhold and horror heroes get some play. Doc is my favorite Marvel character and I am a sucker for Marvel horror.

also read an older book, Justice Riders by Chuck Dixon with art by J.H. Williams III and Mick Gray. Fished it out of a dollar bin a while back and just got to reading it. I like weird west stuff and this was an excellent take on a weird west JL. Williams III and Gray are brilliant as always and Dixon told a story that played to his strengths filled with slam bang action and blazing guns.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Secret Warriors v6: Wheels Within Wheels - A fitting finish to a decent series. I definitely prefer Hickman's Image work though.

Kane & Lynch - Silly bit of violent fun spinning off a video game I've never played. I enjoyed it while it lasted - but I'll never reread it.

Blood-Stained Sword - Decent little prestige format murder mystery tied into Samurai stuff. Ben Templesmith's art is the best thing.

Fantastic Four (Millar) v2: The Master of Doom - Good OTT superhero stuff from Mark Millar and Brian Hitch. Plenty to enjoy here - and a surprisingly touching ending.

JSA Presents: Green Lantern - A couple of okay Alan Scott stories - and one very good one sandwiched in-between them.

The Escapists - This is the best thing I've read in a while. A good story from Brian K Vaughan set in the modern day in the same world as Kavalier and Clay with some good art by Philip Pope, Steve Rolston and Jason Shawn Alexander.

Hickman's FF is unreal. Wait until you get there!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Culé Forever

(which completely incidentally was the first comic I ever saw using glossy paper - though the trade doesn't)
    I confirm the non-glossy paper, but then you already knew that

Btw, "Tainted" (Delano) was an AWESOME read!

Moving from the to read pile into the read pile....

-caught up on Brian Wood's run on Conan the Barbarian, reading #18-22. 18 wrapped up my least favorite arc of the run, 19-21 was a solid arc, and 22 begins the end of his run and comes full circle back to REH's original. Overall, I was disappointed by the run when Becky Cloonan left after the first arc (she was more a draw than Wood to me when this launched), and Wood has been hit or miss throughout. I am a long time Conan fan (going back to the 70's), and at times Wood's run has been interesting and good Conan, and at others it has been ok (he's a good writer so the issues are rarely bad, per se), but felt like he was writing an entirely different character who happened to share a name with REH's creation. So while there have been good stories, I am not sure they have been good Conan stories throughout. SOme of the artists he has worked with have been revelations to me, and some I was counting the minutes until their term was over, but Cloonan, and in particular her interpretation of Belit, are still the highlight of this run artistically. I would have been ecstatic if she could have returned for the final arc to finish what she started. I am dying to see what her winged apes would have looked like.

-also caught up on Watson and Holmes from New Paradigm studios. I really enjoyed the first arc, and Rick Leonardi's art, but Larry Stroman's issue #5 was offputting artistically. Stroman is a solid artist and I like his stylized work, but his Watson & Holmes were too different from Leonardi's, so they did not read visually as the characters for me, hindering an otherwise very strong done in one story by Bollers. The thing is, Stroman's interpretation would have been fine if it had been the initial one, but following Leonardi's foundation, it was just too different and the transition jarred me out of the story. Still a solid series so far, now if I could just find a copy of #2 locally.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by barcelunatic View Post
    Btw, "Tainted" (Delano) was an AWESOME read!
    I don't think I've read that - but I run hot and cold on Delano.

How flowery is his text in Tainted? That almost ruined his Hellblazer for me. On the other hand, Hellblazer: Bad Blood and Outlaw Nation were great.

Culé Forever

How flowery is his text in Tainted? That almost ruined his Hellblazer for me. On the other hand, Hellblazer: Bad Blood and Outlaw Nation were great.
    Sorry, didn't get what you meant by 'flowery'....

And just so you know, I am rather new to comics, so I unfortunately may not be able to provide too much of an insight when it comes to comparing authors' works. Have read Sandman, several of Milligan's works (Enigma, Face, The Extremist, The Eaters), Maus and a few other graphic novels till date.

What I can tell you though is that "Tainted" fits in nicely with "Face" by Milligan into the Vertigo Voices series - the third one-shot being "Kill Your Boyfriend" (which I have yet to get my hands on).

Quote Originally Posted by barcelunatic View Post
    Sorry, didn't get what you meant by 'flowery'....
    By 'flowery text' I'm talking about the excessive descriptive text that bogged down his Hellblazer run and made it a bit of a slog for me.

Culé Forever

By 'flowery text' I'm talking about the excessive descriptive text that bogged down his Hellblazer run and made it a bit of a slog for me.
    Oh in that case, "Tainted" seemed to me very much to-the-point writing - I really did not find any pieces of text unnecessary or over-precise, or how you like to call it, flowery.

Moreover, I read it in one go, although I normally prefer to drag even one-shots through two or three sittings (sounds lame but I say it with no shame )

Good to know. Cheers