Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Did You Read - November 2013

Yeah it's still October, but I didn't want to make a thread that's out of date in a week - and it's comics. We always use dates ahead of time.

Ultimates 3 v1: Who Killed The Scarlet Witch - Um - yeah. Not good in story or art. And why is Jan suddenly not Asian any more?

Minor Miracles - Enjoyable series of stories from Will Eisner. I like his art and I do enjoy his stories. At the same time though I tend to find them a bit simplistic.

Hulk: Son of Hulk - Okay. Not up there with Pak's earlier Hulk work. I've come up with a theory that Greg Pak is the anti-Ennis. Garth Ennis writes stories where no amount of intelligence or training is a match for someone who is hard - like The Russian and Jesse Custer's brothers. Greg Pack seems to write stories where any genius can run rings around everyone - like Amadeus Cho and Bruce Banner.

Postcards: True Stories that Never Happened - An interesting idea where the creators each took a real postcard from an antique shop and made up a story to go with it. Most of them fell flat for me - but I did really like the story about the young tom-boy with a seriously ill (probably dying) mother.

Runaways v10: Rock Zombies - Fun stuff

Ultimate Comics Iron Man: Armor Wars - Okay bit of fighting with an unsatisfying deus ex machina ending. Ellis is better than this when he actually tries.

Batlash: Guns & Roses - Decent origin for Batlash. The art was too stiff for my tastes though.

Punishermax: From First to Last - I was pleased that my dip into non-Ennis Punisher Max turned to be a book that was written by Ennis after all. All three stories here are good. The Cell was my favourite.

The Factor - An anthology of stories by Nat Gertler following everyone but the superhero in a world where a superhero has appeared. The art varies in quality greatly, but over all this is an enjoyable set of stories.

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine - Good silly time travel romp from Jason Aaron with good art from one of the Kubert boys. I liked this.

Batman: Battle for the Cowl - Meh. And strange that Tony Daniel is the superstar artist, but of all the artists in the book, he was the weakest.

Near Death v2 - It's a shame this series didn't survive. I enjoyed it.

Batman: The Ring, the Arrow and the Bat - Seriously out-dated dialogue (seriously - people sound like beatniks) plagues this story. It was enjoyable enough, but nothing like the classic Batman and Question stories Denny O'Neil wrote. But then again I though the same about the GL/GA stuff he wrote too - and that run is considered classic. BTW - This is a Green Arrow book with some Batman and some Green Lantern in it - It was a bit cheeky to call this a Batman book.

Abel - This book didn't quite work for me. It covers good topics, but was tooo short to flesh them out - and never actually managed to be entertaining.

52: The Companion - I was hoping this would have the backups from 52 - but it didn't. Just some reprints of old stories with 52 characters. Animal Man and Gotham Central were the best, but I've already got them. The Ditko question story was - not exactly good - but certainly interesting. The famous Ditko morality was so heavy handed it was almost comical.

Avengers: Endless Wartime OGN - Love the overall design and large size of this book. Felt a little thin but I still think that there were 100+ pages to the story. Trying to understand why there was so much focus on Captain Marvel? Worth a read if you are an Ellis/McKone fan like myself.

Savage Dragon #190~191 - Read the digest version of #190 and think that it read better than regular floppy version of issue. Definitely get a "clearing the decks" feel to these issues (which Larsen seems to do every 30+ issues of the book) so I am getting excited about the next phase of SD!

Aquaman #23, #23.1, #23.2 - Loving the main book. Will be interested to see where Jeff Parker takes the book once Johns leaves. The Villains month issues just seemed to be extended stories from scenes in Forever Evil #1 (which I had read just before those issues and really liked!). Interesting but not sure why there required spotlight issues at the higher price point.

Quote Originally Posted by torippu View Post
    Trying to understand why there was so much focus on Captain Marvel?
    That really had me confused for a moment - until I realised you're not talking about Billy Batson

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That really had me confused for a moment - until I realised you're not talking about Billy Batson
    Correct. Carol Danvers, the former Ms. Marvel. I didn't read the most recent book so I have am confused by the promotion to Captain and all of the Carol Corps stuff on social media.

The Flash# 23.1, 23.2 & 23.3 - Felt like these issues had more to do with the ongoing Flash series than the previously read Aquaman issues. Of the three, I think that the Rogues issue was the best and set the stage for me wanting to read the upcoming FE: Rogues Rebellion mini-series.

Gyo v1 and v2 - Nasty horror from Junji Ito with fish with legs running around on land. Very good and creepy. I can't decide whether I like this more or less than Uzumaki.

Secret Invasion: Home Invasion - Covers an ordinary schoolgirl whose brother was replaced by a Krull. Not great.

Popgun v1 - As with all anthologies this was a mixed bag for me. Overall I found it merely okay.

Captain America: Theatre of War - Four one-shots from Paul Jenkins. The first three were good. The last one might have meant more to me if I was American or more interested in American history, but I'm not. Over-all worth getting though.

Steve Niles' Cellar of Nastiness - A mix of short stories. For me the best ones by far were the one with the little kid who meets all of the old-school horror monsters, and the Ben Templesmith story about a creepy old man. It was all good though.

Some good stuff in these posts.

I totally ugh GYO, but my first exposure to Ito was Uzumaki so that's my fav. I read those Cap: Theater of War books as 1-shots and remember most were ok. Nothing that was overwhelmingly awesome though. The Spidey / Wolvie book by Aaron was cool. Some elements of that do spill off into another of Aaron's stories in the future.

I love Ellis, but did not get that Avengers OGN. Should I??? I do like me some Carol Danvers!

As for me, other than the weekly issues I started I also got most of the way through Invincible v. 18: Death of Everyone. There's a fun bait and switch in this one. Kirkman isn't afraid to really mix things up either. A few fun meta-jokes too. Almost done, as it was a quick read. I keep wondering if I'll continre with this book and then I keep getting the next volume.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    Some good stuff in these posts.

I love Ellis, but did not get that Avengers OGN. Should I??? I do like me some Carol Danvers!
    I enjoyed this quite a bit. I might go so far as to say it's the best Avengers story I have read in quite some time. It's Ellis being mainstream Ellis and McKone's work is beautiful. The way I described it to a friend is that this OGN was the lovechild of classic Avengers and movie Avengers. It had elements that would please both crowds, but wasn't pandering to either.

Other stuff I have been reading recently-some new some classic, some in between

Sandman Overture#1-great to have a Gaiman Sandman book to read again (even though news broke today that #2 is delayed)
    Starlin's Metamorphosis Odyssey collection
    Marvel Masterworks Iron Fist Vol. 1
    Warren Ellis' Crecy
    Battlefields Vol. 1 Night Witches
    Corben's The Raven and the Red Death
    Diggle's Uncanny
    The Avengers/Invaders hc by Krueger & Ross
    Kiss Me Satan 1-2
    Velvet #1
    Saints by Gene Luen Yang
    Battling Boy by Paul Pope
    The Damned Vol. 1 Three Days Dead by Bunn & Hurtt

and some stuff on Thrillbent
    Arcanum by John Rogers (Leverage, Blue Beetle)
    Deadstar Divas (Tim & Steve Seeley)
    City of the Dead (Ron Randall & Karl Kesel)

and am currently reading the first Parker volume by Darwyn Cooke.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Warren Ellis' Crecy
    Battlefields Vol. 1 Night Witches
    The Avengers/Invaders hc by Krueger & Ross
    Velvet #1
    Battling Boy by Paul Pope
    GOOD STUFF! I loved Pope's Battling Boy!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

LOVE & CAPES Vols. 2 & 3 by Thom Zahler - I got Volume 1 at NYCC in 2012 and loved it. Picked up Volumes 2-4 at BCC in September. Thom is very nice to talk to. The series is an absolute riot for anyone who loves comics storytelling as a whole and superheroes specifically. You can more readily pick up on the comic book tropes us long time readers take for granted and just laugh at the silliness of it all. Abby is such a great foil for Mark without all the pathos.

-Finished Parker Vol. 1: The Hunter by Darwyn Cooke
    -then read Usagi Yojimbo Vol. 1 Ronin.
    -read through a handful of locally produced self-published comics from folks I know from the local con circuit
    -and am now making my way through my overflowing pile of new comics to read, got through the following so far this afternoon:
    Protocol Orphans #1
    Astro City #6
    Coffin Hill #2
    Codename Action #3

sadly, it barely made a dent in my to read pile (or too many to read pile as it should be called).

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    sadly, it barely made a dent in my to read pile (or too many to read pile as it should be called).
    If you can fit it all in one pile then you're nowhere near the "too many" stage yet.

Culé Forever

Recently finished "Scene Of The Crime (HC)" - solid read!

Now on "Tainted" by Jamie Delano, which should under normal circumstances soon be followed by "Skreemer"... Read on \m/

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    If you can fit it all in one pile then you're nowhere near the "too many" stage yet.
    It'a actually about 3 piles at this point, and that's just the new stuff, not the trades on the shelf waiting to be read or the unread back issues in boxes

-M
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by barcelunatic View Post
    soon be followed by "Skreemer"... Read on \m/
    Ooh - I absolutely loved Skreemer!

(which completely incidentally was the first comic I ever saw using glossy paper - though the trade doesn't)