Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Aquaman, #24

Geoff Johns' next-to-last chapter of "Death of a King," as well as his next-to-last issue as writer, unfolds in a grand way in "Aquaman" #24, filled with origins, surprises, and great imagery from Paul Pelletier and Sean Parsons.

Full review here.

I've been enjoying Aquaman since the relaunch; it's the one book of The New 52 that caught and kept my attention. I liked what Geoff Johns was able to do to bring Hal Jordan back. I never thought I would be reading Aquaman! But I am. I like Jeff Parker's all-ages stuff, so I'm sure he'll do fine!

I may try this again when Parker comes on, I read several early issues of Johns' run and was turned off by his writing/storylines.

I do like Jeff Parker so I'll make sure to look at the preview pages when his first issue hits.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Well deserved good review. Johns has done what many thought impossible with Aquaman - make him a true A-lister. Sorry to see him go after he produced so many potential plot threads in this issue. Aquaman may be, through #24, the best book since the relaunch

5/5 fantastic issue

I have actually always liked Aquaman so Johns writing the book was always going to be a win for me. I just wish he were sticking around longer on the title. But I look forward to seeing what Pak can do. The real surprise for me was Pelletier taking over. I've always been a fan of his, but wasn't sure he would be a good fit for the book (especially following Reis.) However, more and more every month he completely proves me wrong. This issue he was beyond stellar!

I was surprised that Johns left with a notable lack of Mera. With Ivan Reis long gone, the only thing keeping me reading the comic is Mera. If she doesn't come back imminently, I don't care how good the new writer is, I won't be buying.
    Current favorites: Claymore, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Justice League, Birds of Prey

Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    I was surprised that Johns left with a notable lack of Mera. With Ivan Reis long gone, the only thing keeping me reading the comic is Mera. If she doesn't come back imminently, I don't care how good the new writer is, I won't be buying.
    you know Johns has one more issue right? Mera will be in that one for sure. But I agree, Mera is one of the coolest characters right now in the New 52.

I'm 99% sure that Mera will be in next issue, she was probably forced to marry that jerk from Xebel and is in Atlantis/Xebel.
    lots of dots

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    I was surprised that Johns left with a notable lack of Mera.
    Mera is the reason Arthur goes in and breaks out of the ice. He wants to find her. Johns merely uses this second-last issue to set up the stakes for the final fight — and does so by continuing the twist in Aquaman's origin that doesn't take away from who he has been while posing a lot of future challenges.

My biggest disappointment with Johns is the lack of villain development: we need a better rogue's gallery for Aquaman. It's what made his run on Flash so strong. Green Lantern didn't have that as much, and it shows. But Aquaman — being one of the DCU's biggest badasses — deserves it.

However, with great endings come great futures and, if rumours are to be believed, Johns is turning his attention next to Shazam — another character who deserves to be treated better!