Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default My Way - Oct 24, 2013

Though he enjoys comic conventions, Daniel Way explains how an uncomfortable exchange with fans can be misconstrued as creator arrogance.

Full article here.

It sounds like a lot of frustration could have been avoided if you were just honest. I can't speak for anyone else but I would respect an answer along the lines of 'I don't know' or 'conventions make me nervous and I can't think of anything at the top of my head'. It takes a certain amount of strength to show that kind of vulnerability and who knows, once you break that down it might all go easier later on....Or I'm full of sh*t and conventions suck @$$ for the creators. Good luck next time though.
    Be more constructive with your feedback -- Jemaine

We've spoken at Heroescon a couple of times, and I always really enjoyed it. You always gave me names of obscure movies that I should check out, chatted the business, and just general hobby stuff. It can be awkward to "force a moment" with a random stranger, especially if you have to do so at will all day for 3 days, but you have always been cool with me.

Wow, what an asshole. Just a real douche nozzle. Either you or the other guy, I forgot which.

Eeeeneeeway... I just wanted to say: "BILLIONS" of people?! Whaaaa? I doubt even a million people will read even the most popular article on this site. And that's generous.

This was an awesome read. Thank you for brigthening an otherwise dull afternoon of office work.

Growing up reading comic books, I never once finished one and thought, "Man, I would LOVE to meet the guy that wrote/drew that!" I KNOW comic book writers and artists are cool. They make a living writing/drawing comic books! That's cool! There's nothing cooler. I wish I were cool like that. I bet they get all their ideas from watching or reading the news or things that happen to them in their lives.

Now that I'm an adult, though, I think from time to time that it would be great to talk to the guy that wrote or drew that story I enjoyed so much...and let him know how much I enjoyed it. How much of an impact it made on me. The Starman story where Ted fights The Mist and died came out a few weeks after my Dad passed away from prostate cancer. I think it's Starman 72. Oh, yeah, that story touched me. Like all the issues of Starman I read from the first issue.

The best conversation I've had meeting a comic book creator was where the artist asked me what I thought of something. The best conversation is a creator getting feedback from fans.

If its a question you've had before and seemed to have had on more than one occasion, it seems you can put some creative thought into a brief reply like "When I'm reading a book or watching TV or whatever, I have 'what if' moments like everyone. And if the 'what if' is interesting enough, I attempt to answer it with my writing. Hopefully the people reading my work also find it interesting." or something.
    That's assuming you are creative. And not an arrogant asshole.

But you're right, it's probably the fans fault for wanting to meet you. He's the asshole.
    I believe all that needs to be said has been. So here’s my two cents.”
    -- ScottMC, inadvertently summing up the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    It sounds like a lot of frustration could have been avoided if you were just honest. I can't speak for anyone else but I would respect an answer along the lines of 'I don't know' or 'conventions make me nervous and I can't think of anything at the top of my head'. It takes a certain amount of strength to show that kind of vulnerability and who knows, once you break that down it might all go easier later on....Or I'm full of sh*t and conventions suck @$$ for the creators. Good luck next time though.
    I agree with you completely, and this column is my way of stretching and exercising the muscles that'll (hopefully) GIVE me that strength. Conventions don't suck; I've just always sucked at "doing" them. But I'm trying to get better at it.

And thanks. Your response really gave me a lot to think about.

d

Quote Originally Posted by michaelman9 View Post
    We've spoken at Heroescon a couple of times, and I always really enjoyed it. You always gave me names of obscure movies that I should check out, chatted the business, and just general hobby stuff. It can be awkward to "force a moment" with a random stranger, especially if you have to do so at will all day for 3 days, but you have always been cool with me.
    Thanks! Glad to know I get it right once in a while.

d

Quote Originally Posted by Mechatoast View Post
    This was an awesome read. Thank you for brigthening an otherwise dull afternoon of office work.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

d

Quote Originally Posted by AirDave View Post
    Growing up reading comic books, I never once finished one and thought, "Man, I would LOVE to meet the guy that wrote/drew that!" I KNOW comic book writers and artists are cool. They make a living writing/drawing comic books! That's cool! There's nothing cooler. I wish I were cool like that. I bet they get all their ideas from watching or reading the news or things that happen to them in their lives.

Now that I'm an adult, though, I think from time to time that it would be great to talk to the guy that wrote or drew that story I enjoyed so much...and let him know how much I enjoyed it. How much of an impact it made on me. The Starman story where Ted fights The Mist and died came out a few weeks after my Dad passed away from prostate cancer. I think it's Starman 72. Oh, yeah, that story touched me. Like all the issues of Starman I read from the first issue.

The best conversation I've had meeting a comic book creator was where the artist asked me what I thought of something. The best conversation is a creator getting feedback from fans.
    I think that's the part that I lock up on because, just like you, I can and will always remember the best conversations I've had when meeting a creator as a fan. But it's the same with the worst, y'know? And that's in my head every time I meet a fan. I want it to be a cool, positive experience for them and it just RUINS me when I start to feel that it's turning into a disaster. Which, in most cases, doesn't actually happen but that doesn't stop the illogical parts of my brain from convincing the other part that I'm inept, that I've let a fan down, etc.

I do realize that most of this stuff is all in my head. That, again, is one of the main reasons I do this column--to get them out. This column, in particular, was written for just that purpose. I wanted to have this conversation, with you and with anyone else who'll participate. So thanks. Sincerely.

d

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    If its a question you've had before and seemed to have had on more than one occasion, it seems you can put some creative thought into a brief reply like "When I'm reading a book or watching TV or whatever, I have 'what if' moments like everyone. And if the 'what if' is interesting enough, I attempt to answer it with my writing. Hopefully the people reading my work also find it interesting." or something.
    That's assuming you are creative. And not an arrogant asshole.

But you're right, it's probably the fans fault for wanting to meet you. He's the asshole.
    Nice one--you got me. I was reading your post and thinking, "Damn...that's a good idea!" and then...

d