Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbinger #17

Default Harbinger #17

Although I'm not really following Harbinger much anymore, I did pick this issue up to see if I could get the excitement back from the first 1.5 arcs. Sadly, I ended up skimming much of the issue. The art was refreshing, particularly the flashback scenes, but the writing from Dysart just didn't capture my attention the way it used to.

As I think back, it seems like my interest in this title really began to wane quickly the more we got into Harada's backstory. For an evil, all-power genius with ambiguous moral codes, he has the most boring origin I think I've ever read, and I find myself caring less and less about what he's doing or why he's doing it. With everything he's got his fingers into involving the most powerful people and government's in the world, it becomes less and less believable that he would spend any significant time worrying about the Renegades. And it becomes less and less believable that the Renegades could offer any serious resistance to Harada or his organization. It seems they only survive because the author wants them to, but there's little rationale involved.

So, having an issue where the Renegades don't even appear, and is filled instead with tedious details of an uninteresting character, this was a really big letdown for me. I may pick it up when there's a new writer on board, but I just don't see Dysart regaining my interest in this title. It makes me sad, because I was solidly behind this title at first, and this writer.

Still, Archer & Armstrong and X-O continuing to knock it out of the park every issue. I only hope Harada doesn't ruin Unity.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

I personnaly enjoyed this issue a lot. Harada is very interesting IMO and the girl with the animal cartoon power begin to grow on me. That samurai cat scene was awesome! I personnaly thought that the last issue was a letdown and this issue was very good. And to see that Cronus is still there is awesome becaus ehe was one of my favorite during Harbinger War.
    Magneto, Cyke, Gambit, Psylocke, Green Arrow, Punisher, Winter Soldier, Sinestro.

Cyclops was right.
    Green Arrow is the best book on the market

For a reader who has been following the series, the issue offers a lot of backstory and fills in a lot of gaps from Harbinger Wars. If one was to jump into the series, this would not be the best issue to do so.

I agree Dysart excels when writing the Renegades, and the book suffers a bit when they are not featured. Case in point: the best scene for me was the brief flashback to the end of Harbinger Wars and Faiths brief dialogue.

That said, I thought the issue was very good. I especially enjoyed the scenes featuring Animalia and Henry's artwork is terrific as usual. Can't wait for a look inside Pete's head next month, and the fallout as we move toward Harada losing control.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSticks View Post
    I personnaly enjoyed this issue a lot. Harada is very interesting IMO and the girl with the animal cartoon power begin to grow on me. That samurai cat scene was awesome! I personnaly thought that the last issue was a letdown and this issue was very good. And to see that Cronus is still there is awesome becaus ehe was one of my favorite during Harbinger War.
    She was adorable and scary and I hope to see more of her. I could easily see her and Faith getting along while Kris keeps an eye on her.
    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    I agree Dysart excels when writing the Renegades, and the book suffers a bit when they are not featured. Case in point: the best scene for me was the brief flashback to the end of Harbinger Wars and Faiths brief dialogue.

That said, I thought the issue was very good. I especially enjoyed the scenes featuring Animalia and Henry's artwork is terrific as usual. Can't wait for a look inside Pete's head next month, and the fallout as we move toward Harada losing control.
    Dysart's Faith is slowly becoming my favorite character of all time. You can tell how much love goes into writing her when she can still shine even though she only has a couple lines. I can't wait for Henry to take over. The guy is made for this series.
    Be more constructive with your feedback -- Jemaine

Oh god they need to get her away from Harada. She has one man army potential if she can generate more then one constructs like that.

Good Stuff.

Still I wonder if they really need so much effort on some criminals. I mean Kris and Faith seem like a normal cell would work just fine.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Faith can lift objects, i think she might have even more telekinetic (?) powers available to her.
    lots of dots

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Faith can lift objects, i think she might have even more telekinetic (?) powers available to her.
    The way I understand it is that Faith has a companion field which I'm assuming is kinda like her own gravitational field thing. If a person or object is within that field they float/fly wherever she goes. Kinda like MOS where the sand and dust float up right before superman flies. If she had her own SFX I'm pretty sure it would look like that.

Well I feel stupid. After reading through the replies and realizing people were referencing things I didn't see, I dug into things again. Somehow I ended up picking up Harbinger #0, not 17. Got the real thing and it's looking much better. Not up to A&A standards yet, but not the snooze fest that issue 0 was.

Please ignore all the terrible things I said in the first post :)
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Well I feel stupid. After reading through the replies and realizing people were referencing things I didn't see, I dug into things again. Somehow I ended up picking up Harbinger #0, not 17. Got the real thing and it's looking much better. Not up to A&A standards yet, but not the snooze fest that issue 0 was.

Thats a pretty massive fail...lol...j/k

I was not a big fan of the #0 issue. It was fine, but nothing spectacular. So I feel you.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post

Oh man, that's so horrible and funny. Hey if you enjoyed it, at least try out the Harbinger Wars. You can either get just the 4 Harbinger Wars or the Harbinger tie ins and still follow the story to see how the events led up to this.

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Oh man, that's so horrible and funny. Hey if you enjoyed it, at least try out the Harbinger Wars. You can either get just the 4 Harbinger Wars or the Harbinger tie ins and still follow the story to see how the events led up to this.
    IMO Harbinger Wars would have been better if the main Harbinger book had skipped a month or two.

The important stuff happened on the mini, and Harbinger featured quite a bit of redundancy mixed with flashbacks to Harada's dealings with PRS in the 60s. Trimming that to only two/three issues focusing on those 60's events only would have been better IMO, allowing a brigher spotlight on the mini series.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Does anyone know if Toyo's physical appearance is just an illusion or is it a physical projection like Torque's? There have been a couple of moments where he looks young when observed through electronics like cameras. That gives me the impression that it's solid or at least like a hologram.

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Does anyone know if Toyo's physical appearance is just an illusion or is it a physical projection like Torque's? There have been a couple of moments where he looks young when observed through electronics like cameras. That gives me the impression that it's solid or at least like a hologram.
    Hard to say. I think its an illusion because he appeared as an old man on TV in issue #6, but that could have been by choice. I can't think of any other time he appeared in that form on camera, except when he was talking to Kuretich over in Bloodshot. I would think if he looked young in his public appearances then people would start asking questions as he is at least in his late 70s having survived Hiroshima. I think early on its mentioned that he hardly ever makes public appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    IMO Harbinger Wars would have been better if the main Harbinger book had skipped a month or two.

The important stuff happened on the mini, and Harbinger featured quite a bit of redundancy mixed with flashbacks to Harada's dealings with PRS in the 60s. Trimming that to only two/three issues focusing on those 60's events only would have been better IMO, allowing a brigher spotlight on the mini series.
    I thought the Harbinger issues, during Harbinger Wars, were some of the best issues of Harbinger so far. As for the 60s flashbacks, I thought that was great. Could've been a solid mini-series unto its own.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Hard to say. I think its an illusion because he appeared as an old man on TV in issue #6, but that could have been by choice. I can't think of any other time he appeared in that form on camera, except when he was talking to Kuretich over in Bloodshot. I would think if he looked young in his public appearances then people would start asking questions as he is at least in his late 70s having survived Hiroshima. I think early on its mentioned that he hardly ever makes public appearances.
    Back when Kris set Harada up at her parents' house she observed him with a webcam and she mentions he looks young. Plus Bloodshot is immune to the psych stuff and didn't realize he was old until his nano's depowered him. This last issue made me think that is might be some sort of hard projection just from the way it's portrayed when he powers down for sleep. I got the impression that he has more powers than just telepathy and telekinesis.