Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Marx Hits The Streets Of Gotham In "Birds Of Prey: Zero Year"

"Birds Of Prey" writer Christy Marx discusses her "Zero Year" tie-in, her plans for Condor and fleshing out Black Canary's New 52 past.

Full article here.

I really want to read a BoP title but I've only heard dubious things about the title so far. Might pick up the Zero Year tie-in as I'm reading that storyline so would seem appropriate.
    Pull list: X-Men, FF, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Marvel Knights: Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Batman, Earth 2, Superman/Wonder Woman, Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Paj Meen Ah View Post
    I really want to read a BoP title but I've only heard dubious things about the title so far. Might pick up the Zero Year tie-in as I'm reading that storyline so would seem appropriate.
    I don't really have anything bad to say about the series. The addition of Stryx to the team has been great I think.

This looks good, I'm kinda getting excited for all the Zero Year tie ins.

Those are some gorgeous covers.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

I loved BoP with #1 but soon lost interest by about #12. I'd love to get back into it, but the new cast doesn't really excite me (not that I have given them a go!)

Any story to help re-establish Black Canary in the DC Universe is welcomed. I feel like all the work done on her character in the past 10 or so years to make her a major heavy-hitter, has been undone with DCnU.

Haven't read the title at all but interested in the Zero-Year tie-in we get Canary's new background. Who knows when I get it but it should be interesting.
    “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman

I think that the actual writing has improved since Marx took over, but the book has still not been allowed to forge it's own identity. Strix is a really good addition, but Condor is meh. I like that BC's past will be fleshed out.

L.A.'s Own Flying Hero The Rocketeer's Avatar

Considering this as a jumping on point again.

I jumped on it, when the series was first rebooted, but ended up dropping it due to the first staff change.

Did anyone else picture communism run rampant when they read the thread title?
    Too broke for a pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher284 View Post
    I think that the actual writing has improved since Marx took over, but the book has still not been allowed to forge it's own identity. Strix is a really good addition, but Condor is meh. I like that BC's past will be fleshed out.
    Interesting--I thought that while Duane's plots/ending left a bit to be desired at times, it was FAR better in terms of character and just telling interesting stories, whereas Marx was completely bland and pointless.

Then again, her first story was basically taking out my favorite character from the book, Starling, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Might give it another shot with this tie-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Kay View Post
    Interesting--I thought that while Duane's plots/ending left a bit to be desired at times, it was FAR better in terms of character and just telling interesting stories, whereas Marx was completely bland and pointless.

Then again, her first story was basically taking out my favorite character from the book, Starling, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Duane could never FINISH a story arc that he started. The Poison Ivy one was especially annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Kay View Post

I'm still reading but I sort of feel the same. You can't accuse Duane of ever completely a plot point but he had the characters down pat and so well done as a group (sans Batgirl). Starling leaving the group has remained a huge hole for me and still unsure why this is. I've started to wonder if its for Duane since he created her that perhaps he's wanting to do something with her at some point but I don't think he has a title to do that.

And yet, her better book in the form of Amethyst is cancelled. I don't think she's a bland writer when left alone, her Elf's quest has shown that along with the work of Jem as well. She's got a good head on her shoulders as a writer. I do think however she has to write to the tune of what's happening in the main books so that sort of limits what she can do. Which is really a shame.