BANNED

Default Is there more of the tendency to give away maps and other background info

For striries taking place in fantasy or sci fi universes than it was 10 years ago?

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I notice fewer glossaries and appendices these days, but maps are about as ubiquitous as ever. That said, it could just be what I'm reading and how I'm reading it.

What makes you think they're on the upswing?
    Expletive Deleted

BANNED

I am genuinly asking, i read more tie-in fiction in those genres than original stuff.

Really, I could do with less of it in-text. I can see why it's helpful for production, but unless it has some aesthetic value (or buys veracity) to itself a lot of the timelines/maps/supplementary-fictional-fictions seem to weigh down the thing, when presented whole and unto themselves.

You read Jurassic Park, say, and the graphics don't really tell what they appear to all the time, the math can get funny, the notices aren't really necessary, but they buy veracity by appearing as symbols to represent the idea of a warning sign or the idea of a graph. The map in Pussy, King of the Pirates is super-simple but utterly necessary, because it's not about the space it's mapping, but eh relationship of the things on the map. Quotations from a fake critical paper, a reproduction from a fictional historical painting are more useful in context than the things on their own. Have your fictions quote a famous in-world song, sure, but unless you're good at writing songs, don't weigh us down with the fully produced thing.

It's not a math class. You don't need to show your work.