Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

When Morrison and Dini had control of the Bat-verse it had never been stronger to me. Synder writes great stories, but usually when they don't apply to old villains. I can look past Babs becoming Batgirl again and Red Robin seems to be a bit sillier than pre-Nu52. But Harley, Huntress, and a lot of these changes, especially origins, really damage the character. Huntress I want to look past but she hasn't really been involved with the Bat-verse. Harley Quinn I just can't look ignore, the visual is right there screaming at me. Pre Nu52 I was reading Batman, Detective, Birds of Prey, Gotham City Sirens, Streets of Gotham, Batman Inc, Superboy, Teen Titans, etc... and no I just read Synder's Batman and only in TPB.
    My Canon > Your Canon

I thought at the time that the reboot was a bad idea for Batman.

I still think so.

That said, so far the new 52 hasn't really been much for me.

I was one of the people who were very happy with the state of things prior to that September.

Morrison's Batman, for me was about the most fun I've ever had reading comics.

I fully expected to be a little deflated after his departure the way I am when any great, long story (i.e. Knightfall, NML...) winds down.

For a while after such runs, the comics aren't as satisfying and I wonder if they will ever bring me the joy that I hope for again.

And eventually they do. Or at least they always have so far in my estimation.

I've considered dropping Batman comics many times over the past couple years, but honestly I doubt I will.

I wouldn't want to miss out when it gets good again.

I'd just end up buying all the back issues I missed.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I still buy every bat book in fact the new 52 actually increased the amount of titles I was getting
    I can't help but notice most of the people complaining aren't even fussed about how batman is being written but how ancillary characters are written. I don't read Batman because I care about who is batgirl or how a villains origin is presented, I read it because I like batman. As long as he's the star of the show I'll always be around.
    Pretty much describes me exactly. And the Bat Family books right now are the best they have been in a long time. The main thing I miss from the old DCU is Stephanie Brown, and now even she is coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by death rey View Post
    Nope. I'm a fan of the "idea" of Batman, not necessarily a certain version of Batman, or a certain continuity of Batman. That's why I can enjoy watching the Adam West Batman, Burton Batman, Schumacher Batman, BTAS, Nolan Batman etc. I am not married to a certain portrayal of Batman, I just like Batman. He is a character that is open to interpretation, depending on who is writing him. And thus, his entire cast of characters is too. Do I have certain versions of the characters I prefer to others? Sure. But I don't run away from new interpretations. I consume them and see the characters from a new perspective. Even if I didn't really care for the new perspective, I know there's yet another one just around the corner. These characters will always be around in one form or another, because they are constantly evolving.
    Very well said. I have no trouble jumping around reading my Batman issues. I still read Frank Miller's the Dark Knight Returns, I read Grant Morrison's Batman, Scott Snyder's Batman, The Arkham Unhinged Batman(based on the Arkham games), Legends of the Dark Knight etc, you get the idea. I enjoy them all and they are all different. It's still the #$%#@#$ Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Officersmile1466 View Post
    Exciting writers like Paul Dini and Grant Morrison have long since left.
    I find Snyder and Tomasi both far better Batman writers than Morrison. I thought his run was severely overrated. I disliked his convoluted narratives and sloppy event progression.

I wouldn't mind Dini having a run again, though.
    Last edited by penguintruth; 10-23-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution

Junior Member Yellow Lantern 15's Avatar

I really don't get see how any can have grips with fictional history of any comic book.
    Stuff always changes whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by penguintruth View Post
    I find Snyder and Tomasi both far better Batman writers than Morrison. I thought his run was severely overrated. I disliked his convoluted narratives and sloppy event progression.

I wouldn't mind Dini having a run again, though.
    I agree with everything said here. I often criticize Snyder and Tomasi, but when I look at all the great things they've done in the New 52, it far outweighs the bad. Morrison killed Damian, the one good thing about his run, in the barely-in-continuity crapfest that was Batman, Incorporated. The funny thing is, Morrison's All-Star Superman was my first comic story.

Interesting to note that a lot of people that are buying batman right now and are saying that they are have been posting here for a shorter period of time.

I checked out the Nu-52 in Trade, wasn't impressed, so I didn't buy. Before I was getting several titles, and then things shifted and changed...and pretty much I got bored with the stories because no one had a clue what was what anymore. I'm glad some people are enjoying the stories, but keep in mind, they pulled the rug out before on fans that have decided to stop reading, they'll probably be doing the same at a later time once again. And you might be in the list of Posters that have dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Interesting to note that a lot of people that are buying batman right now and are saying that they are have been posting here for a shorter period of time.

I checked out the Nu-52 in Trade, wasn't impressed, so I didn't buy. Before I was getting several titles, and then things shifted and changed...and pretty much I got bored with the stories because no one had a clue what was what anymore. I'm glad some people are enjoying the stories, but keep in mind, they pulled the rug out before on fans that have decided to stop reading, they'll probably be doing the same at a later time once again. And you might be in the list of Posters that have dropped.
    Well, the only things I read from DC were the Superman and Green Lantern titles until Snyder's Detective Comics, so aside from that, a few Morrison back issues, and a few Steph-as-Batgirl back issues, I don't have much knowledge of Batman pre-New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    I'd just end up buying all the back issues I missed.
    That's what I use to talk myself to go ahead and get this months issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    As someone that has dropped Batman (and everything else), I know this is true. I don't think there's any reason to worry about it happening in the future because if it does, you just stop buying again. I wasn't buying what you were and so it goes.

New 52 Batman started with a stupid event that seemed like a rerun of Batman R.I.P... In another titme the Joker had his face cut off. The Owls thing was followed up by an even more stupid event centering around faceless Joker, and now we're havng yet another event. I quit Marvel over that kind of thing, and I never even got into New 52 Batman because of this.

I still got Batman Inc., Batwoman (which I doubt I'll continue with the new direction), Birds Of Prey (which was effectively killed by editorial 6 issues in) and Batgirl.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

For me, the only Batman related title I'm reading these days is Batman '66, mainly because it's fun to read. The rest of the Batbooks failed to impress and I dumped them all.
    "We're from Philadelphia, and we fight."
    ---Chip Kelly, Head Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

As someone mentioned above I am married to the gist of Batman. There are certain qualities I admire in the character and as long as that is captured in the book I will buy it. That being said the only bookk I am getting right now due to funds and interest is the Snyder version. I at first had a major problem with CoO until I understood that it's a reboot of the universe and I re-read the book. Batman is the only Batbook I buy on a monthly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Like Shadaloo I've got nothing against The New 52 in principle - I thought it was hugely exciting and long overdue.

However two years later I do agree that the characters, and in some parts the mythos as a whole, have been sadly reduced in many ways. The thing is though it's largely been due to specific choices by writers/editors, not the fact they took place under the edict of a line-wide overhaul. New 52 could've have been a good thing if writers hadn't tried waaaay too hard to fix things that were never broken.

Harley Quinn the look and the origin. The look especially was a huge part of her old appeal, tied intrinsically to her character even. And true Ales Kot wrote the best Harley outside of Paul Dini - for a whopping 4 issues - but apart from that, well others have said it already

Freeze I was never a huge fan of the character but yeah, the new guy is definitely not the old guy

Richard Grayson gutted of everything that made him interesting

Tim Drake where to start

Selina Kyle if the only substantial aspect of her relationship with Bruce is now forgotten, then what's the point?

Barbara Gordon sent back in time 20 years

Two-Face another classic origin messed with, a perennial bestseller trade overwritten, so a writer can find easy content for their story. DC, I thought you wanted to make this easier for new readers? Then why would you negate one of the most popular and well-known items in your back catalogue? People who are new to comics, they want the old the lore to discover and dive into, that's part of the appeal, and they tend to be confused when things don't compute.

Man-Bat anything ever written about Man-Bat makes zero sense now

Penguin, Scarecrow, Clayface all villains written by Gregg Hurtwitz now have the same origin - their parents did it

The only ones who've lucked out in The New 52 so far are yeah, Jason Todd and Killer Croc. I'm also digging Zero Year, let's hope Snyders Eternity is more in this vein and not the above
    I understand where you are coming from. But a lot of your problems stem for lousy/and or uncreative writing. There's nothing that can't be eventually fixed. But I understand why you wouldn't want to invest money is something you aren't enjoying.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    For me, the only Batman related title I'm reading these days is Batman '66, mainly because it's fun to read. The rest of the Batbooks failed to impress and I dumped them all.
    Have you tried Batman: Li'l Gotham? Also a fun, all-ages-friendly Bat-book.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Two-Face another classic origin messed with, a perennial bestseller trade overwritten, so a writer can find easy content for their story. DC, I thought you wanted to make this easier for new readers? Then why would you negate one of the most popular and well-known items in your back catalogue? People who are new to comics, they want the old the lore to discover and dive into, that's part of the appeal, and they tend to be confused when things don't compute.
    Just out of curiosity, what'd they change about Two-Face in the reboot? What got axed?

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell