View Poll Results: Is a reboot a good idea/

Voters
122. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, i love the idea

7 5.74%
  • No i hate the idea

77 63.11%
  • It is never gonna happen

23 18.85%
  • I don't care either way

9 7.38%
  • I am reserving judgement.

6 4.92%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Nah. They never actually have changed what war Castle fought in, they just haven't brought it up in a while in the continuity books. And Reed just hasn't been a soldier in forever. Because it wasn't that Reed was a soldier, it's that he knew Nick Fury.
    This is from 2011 or 2012. Does that look like Vietnam to you? Does that look like 1960's uniforms and gear?

'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I think the the best thing they could do is clean house. They have too many writers and editors putting out crap, so I think they should reboot the marvel office.

Quote Originally Posted by funeralthirst7 View Post
    A complete reboot would probably cause me to stop buying new Marvel comics. I hope that I never see this in my lifetime.
    Same here.
    Marvel have been estabilishing the continuity of the stories ever since the 30s,and without counting with side continuities as the Ultimate Universe or Heroes Reborn,marvel never did a reboot.And consistent writing of the stories with the sliding timescale kept the ongoing continuity just there to iprove the stories.
    Odd as people are still wondering if Marvel would do a full reboot as was the reboot 52 by DC,.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

A New 52-esque reboot for Earth-616 is a horrible idea as most everyone else has pointed out. However, I do believe the multiverse could use some streamlining and more of a structure. The post-Age of Ultron event comics , I'm hoping, are moving towards this streamlining and re-structuring that I feel is very much needed. To be honest, I'm hoping some of the universes are ended and their best characters immigrate to the 616. I realize this would be similar to DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths, but the direction Marvel seems to be going wouldn't require rebooting Earth-616 or totally obliterating the multiverse.
    Last edited by Heeroyuy_Batman; 10-31-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by funeralthirst7 View Post
    A complete reboot would probably cause me to stop buying new Marvel comics. I hope that I never see this in my lifetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Same here.
    Marvel have been estabilishing the continuity of the stories ever since the 30s,and without counting with side continuities as the Ultimate Universe or Heroes Reborn,marvel never did a reboot.And consistent writing of the stories with the sliding timescale kept the ongoing continuity just there to iprove the stories.
    Odd as people are still wondering if Marvel would do a full reboot as was the reboot 52 by DC,.
    This just reminds me of something.

Ever since I was a little kid reading them in reprints, I have been very fond of the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko stories from the first three years or so of Spidey's Silver Age adventures. Decades later, I still feel that way about those old stories. Which doesn't exactly make me unique, does it?

Many years ago now, John Byrne got permission from Marvel to try to do an "updated and retconned" version of some of that material in his Spider-Man: Chapter One 12-part series. I didn't bother buying it at the time (although I later picked up some of the back issues, cheap), but the report I heard was that Byrne's tampering with the Lee/Ditko classics had quickly aroused such a firestorm of controversy from diehard Spidey fans that even before the series had finished coming out, Marvel's editorial position was loudly declared to be that Byrne's changes were not canonical, and thus everybody should just calm down and feel free to utterly ignore it! (Which is exactly what everyone then did, including other writers who have worked on one Spider-title or another since that time, as I understand it!)

I think that illustrates the dangers of tossing all that old material out the window as part of a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mold View Post
    HA HA me too. one of the best scenes in X-men TAS was Wolverine cutting salami with his claws. Seeing a scene with bruce waking up naked after a Hulk ramapage and stressing out more about that would have been awesome, the trip to see Reed Richards, " Look reed heres the thing, i turn into a super green monster, three or four times my size, i saw you on TV stretch around the place, can yo make me a pair of Jocks and pants with a zip, that do the same thing?" Now that would be comic gold.
    Exactly! In fact, you know there's at least one talented writer out there with the perfect "Hulk's pants" story who could make it into an amazing classic. Hell, 3 months before Doc Ock became the Superior Spider-Man, that idea of that was ludicrous to 99.999999% of people. Two years later and it's managed to become a very popular, well-thought-out comic. The idea of a reboot sounds to me like the idea of giving up, and believing that there are no more great stories to be written in the world we already have.
    A great story is simple: never break character.

Current favorites: The Manhattan Projects. Thor: God of Thunder. Batman Inc. X-Men Legacy. Avenging Spider-Man. New Avengers. Daredevil.

The best method is to stimply stop telling the convoluted stories that are perceived to be the problem and go "back to basics" with as little mention of it as possible. Of course, this would only work if the fans would unclench. Ever since Crisis, there simply HAS to be some universe shattering event to single a publishing change. It's absurd. Before 1985, editors and creators simply switched gears, introduced new characters, and if often felt far more organic. Take Walt Simonson's Thor. All of a sudden Asgard got a bit more "Lord of the Rings", Beta Ray Bill was introduced, Thor decided to live as a mortal contruction worker, etc. Enough with the pseudo-intellectual/metaphysical "events."
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

Sentinels have feelings Master Mold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
    Exactly! In fact, you know there's at least one talented writer out there with the perfect "Hulk's pants" story who could make it into an amazing classic. Hell, 3 months before Doc Ock became the Superior Spider-Man, that idea of that was ludicrous to 99.999999% of people. Two years later and it's managed to become a very popular, well-thought-out comic. The idea of a reboot sounds to me like the idea of giving up, and believing that there are no more great stories to be written in the world we already have.
    Agreed. A few come to mind,
    Cyclops, does he wear a special visor in the shower? if so, does it fog up?
    Ironman, Does his suit ever get stuck on via malfunction?
    Cap, Tries to get beer, gets asked for ID, and the staff member questions how a guy born in 1900's looks so young.
    Prof X, secret shame- he shaves his head. He looks like doc brown otherwise.
    Luke Cage, Looks like a different guy to powerman.
    Wolverine- Buys Sim City 4, can't play it on release day, goes into a berserker rage at the avengers tower, slicing all PC's on the network.
    Blackbolt, Pulled over by the cops, asked to recite his ABC's.
    So much stuff left to tell that inate. we have plenty of room for more stories of awesomeness i rekon. 2010's will be know as the era where writer tried to be epic......
    Master Mold - You will remove senator kelly's brain and replace it with a computer, mate