Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Selinafan View Post
    The man who was shot is twice referred to as "Dog". I did however mistakenly call Fox, Wolf. I might need a scorecard to keep all these animal names straight. ;)
    Yeah, I got Dog. I was curious about Wolf, Vulture, and Coyote - I thought you meant those were the other 2 guys riding w/ Dog or some other persons. But right, right, I see the Wolf mistake now. And Vulture was just an ad hoc moniker for Sissy.

Either way, I didn't really think of the fact so many characters were named or imaged after animals, til you mentioned it. That probably is something to consider as well in the big picture of the series. Perhaps particularly the specific animals (Sissy/Vulture maybe is some how related to death/Death? Fox is some how sly or deceiving - not really blind, and I'm speculating he's hiding the fact he's the Mason, at least to the public, from the opening tale).
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

I liked the art, the story was passable, didn't like the coloring, too bland in some parts too garish in others. Overall it was alright but not good enough to make it's way onto my already huge pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Yeah, I got Dog. I was curious about Wolf, Vulture, and Coyote - I thought you meant those were the other 2 guys riding w/ Dog or some other persons. But right, right, I see the Wolf mistake now. And Vulture was just an ad hoc moniker for Sissy.

Either way, I didn't really think of the fact so many characters were named or imaged after animals, til you mentioned it. That probably is something to consider as well in the big picture of the series. Perhaps particularly the specific animals (Sissy/Vulture maybe is some how related to death/Death? Fox is some how sly or deceiving - not really blind, and I'm speculating he's hiding the fact he's the Mason, at least to the public, from the opening tale).
    Never thought of him as the Mason, could be. It's interesting that they don't show his eyes.

I realized today that the men are associated with canines (Fox, Dog, Coyote) while the ladies are linked to birds (Sissy and her Vulture cloak, Molly Raven). Hmm, I wonder what Big Alice's last name is now.

Comic Alliance posted their review... http://comicsalliance.com/pretty-dea...ma-rios-image/ - I didn't see this as I'm not a Manga reader, but it is an interesting perspective, worth a read through.
    PrettyDeadly/WonderWoman/FBP/Velvet/Revival/Lazarus/EastofWest/ManhattanProjects/Fatale/Alex+Ada/Rat Queens/Saga/Bandette/HighCrimes/Red Sonja/RachelRising/Ghost/Zero/Veil/Cap. Marvel/She Hulk/Magneto

Quote Originally Posted by Selinafan View Post
    Never thought of him as the Mason, could be. It's interesting that they don't show his eyes.
    Aye. The nose is what made me think it. They're nearly, if not completely, identical. Given that Sissy seems special somehow and she appears to be a commodity of some sorts - perhaps by Death's daughter - it makes sense to throw some minor speculation that way.

But then there's the other girl who shot the bunny (not Sissy, different eye and hair color, right?) and the adult woman on the cover (perhaps an adult Sissy?), so who knows! So much in the first issue to consider!
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

I don't know when the last time I was impressed by the Lettering in a comic was but I really like the lettering in this issue especially the gun shots.

Is this title a mini series or an ongoing?
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 10-31-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    I don't know when the last time I was impressed by the Lettering in a comic was but I really like the lettering in this issue especially the gun shots.

Is this title a mini series or an ongoing?
    An ongoing as far as one can tell (there's no mini series indication on solicitations). As for how long, it'll last, I dunno. It definitely seems deep enough to last the standard 25~30 issues of popular indie. Will it be a long-term ongoing and go on for 50, 75, 100 issues? Guess it all just depends on what story Deconnick wants to tell and what fills the middle of that story.
    Grant Morrison

An ongoing as far as one can tell (there's no mini series indication on solicitations). As for how long, it'll last, I dunno. It definitely seems deep enough to last the standard 25~30 issues of popular indie. Will it be a long-term ongoing and go on for 50, 75, 100 issues? Guess it all just depends on what story Deconnick wants to tell and what fills the middle of that story.
    From a CBR interview...

Is the story set to be 5 issues or do you have more planned?

We're on the [Ed] Brubaker model. I'm sure nineteen million people have done this before him, but I'm gonna call it the Brubaker model because that's when I noticed it and I think he's done it exceptionally well -- it's an ongoing. We're going to do 5 issues and take a break, it will be a complete story, and then we will come back to it and keep going as long as the story schedule and finances allow.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=48649
    PrettyDeadly/WonderWoman/FBP/Velvet/Revival/Lazarus/EastofWest/ManhattanProjects/Fatale/Alex+Ada/Rat Queens/Saga/Bandette/HighCrimes/Red Sonja/RachelRising/Ghost/Zero/Veil/Cap. Marvel/She Hulk/Magneto

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

definitely interesting enough to try again with issue two, but (perhaps my expectations were too high) kinda scattered for a first issue. As always (well, as usual, anyway), happy to give'm their first arc, on a wait-and-see basis...
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Good art style, Rios is doing a amazing job here. Writing is almost perfect, Want another now!!!

I really like this. Love the art. I can't wait until the next issue.

This book wasn't bad, but it definitely didn't live up to the mostly glowing reviews it seemed to get. Mostly was struck (not in a good way) by how similar it is to East of West, another Image title -- "stylish western where Death and a mortal woman have a baby." It's great that Image is realizing such success with creator-owned titles but I'm starting to think the line suffers by not striving for more uniqueness between books.
    Print buying: Vertigo and other "mainstream alternative" fare. Digital buying: classic DC, current Image, Boom!, Monkeybrain, etc.

There are similar elements between is and East of West, but they seem to be doing there own thing with it. Plus I've had this title in my head for so long... it was announced back in July of 2012 at one of the comic cons -- so I was anticipating this one before East of West came into the picture (which was announced in October of 2012, even though it was released first)

Quote Originally Posted by gaudium View Post
    This book wasn't bad, but it definitely didn't live up to the mostly glowing reviews it seemed to get. Mostly was struck (not in a good way) by how similar it is to East of West, another Image title -- "stylish western where Death and a mortal woman have a baby." It's great that Image is realizing such success with creator-owned titles but I'm starting to think the line suffers by not striving for more uniqueness between books.
    lol?

2 books out of their 45~50 are very similar and you think the line is suffering due to lack of uniqueness?
    Grant Morrison

lol?

2 books out of their 45~50 are very similar and you think the line is suffering due to lack of uniqueness?
    And I wouldn't even call them very similar. One takes place in the old west, while the other a post-apocalyptic future. They may have characters with similar origins, but this is comics...

I'll just point out that these girls are doing something right - most image comic threads on here are on single digit post replies - this one has 44. If nothing else, it got people talking.
    Too broke for a pull list.