Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Default Star Trek Khan #1

Anybody else give this a read? I thought it was very well done, showed the genesis of Noonien Signh, starts with a flashforward past Into Darkness in Khan's trial wherein they point out that he doesn't look a damn thing like TOS Khan, then flashback to the 70s as young, one-legged Sikh street urchin who is captured by an advanced genetics research facility, who promptly grow back his leg and enhance his abilities. Noonien is a deadly little rabble rouser and we see his evolution as the issue progresses. The issue is very well written by Mike Johnson, lots of great reveals inside of scenes and the narrative happily skips along the years as we see Noonien grow up. It's a really neat way to put us inside his origins and I think the big grand story of this will be how a scrawny Sikh kid ends up as Ricardo Montobaln and/also Bennedict Cumberbath. Basically, the series looks like it's trying to knot that continuity hole (My guess is the genetic engineering ends up changing him) which, as a comic geek, I'm always a fan of. I'd be less enthused if it turns out that the pre-Nero incursion Trek universe that we saw in ST:09 was different from the original Prime-verse. True, this series may end up stomping all over Greg Cox's "Khan" novel series but, hey, I didn't read those so this could be a neat origin for Khan that ties his two Trek appearances together.

i read it and thought it was much better than expected.

better than most issues of the ongoing have been in fact.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

I read the ongoing in trades so I'm not at the "After Darkness" stuff yet. There have been some really good ongoing issues, I loved the mirror mirror and the one-shots about the crew origins I thought were neat (big props to the Keenser & Sulu/Checkov, Uhrah issues). I think this one issue is way better than "Countdown to Darkness" which I thought was a little pat, aside from sexy Bajorian Mudd and the neat twist involving Captain April in the 3rd issue.

All that being said, this was just straight-up solid comic-booking, probably some of the best stuff Johnson has done since back in the original "Countdown" mini and I think the potential for where the story will go is really cool. And, yeah, the entire thrust of the series may end up being "Why Khan looks and talks like Ricardo Montobaln/Benedict Cumberbatch" but I'm down with convoluted continuity hoop jumping retcons if the story is well told. And even issue 1, while very dark at times, looks like a humdinger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    i read it and thought it was much better than expected.

better than most issues of the ongoing have been in fact.
    In that case i have to check this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by President Kang View Post
    I read the ongoing in trades so I'm not at the "After Darkness" stuff yet. There have been some really good ongoing issues, I loved the mirror mirror and the one-shots about the crew origins I thought were neat (big props to the Keenser & Sulu/Checkov, Uhrah issues). I think this one issue is way better than "Countdown to Darkness" which I thought was a little pat, aside from sexy Bajorian Mudd and the neat twist involving Captain April in the 3rd issue.

All that being said, this was just straight-up solid comic-booking, probably some of the best stuff Johnson has done since back in the original "Countdown" mini and I think the potential for where the story will go is really cool. And, yeah, the entire thrust of the series may end up being "Why Khan looks and talks like Ricardo Montobaln/Benedict Cumberbatch" but I'm down with convoluted continuity hoop jumping retcons if the story is well told. And even issue 1, while very dark at times, looks like a humdinger.
    This sums up my thoughts as well, I wasn't necessarily looking for an in story explanation of why the new Khan looks different than the old but if the story continues to be as interesting to read as this first issue I won't complain.

In related news: issue 26 of the ongoing is out today. Are they by the same writers? I didn't think to check.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

^ yeah, Mike Johnson wrote both.