Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Tilting at Windmills - Oct 18, 2013

This month Brian Hibbs gives some final thoughts on DC's Villains Month and the problematic theory that envisions potential comic book readers as water in buckets.

Full article here.

Great article Brian! You're bucket analogy was spot on and a great primer for helping folks understand how all the factors that go into producing a "hit". Bravo!

I also love the post, as I usually do.

Your "Bucket Theory" explanation is pretty messy. You're talking about Boolean logic and Venn diagrams. The kind of stuff that XKCD loves to post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geeks-nerds-20100531-172647.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	120944

For instance, in your Jim Lee +Neil Gaiman +Star Wars example, there are three big circles of "comic fans who love....". But in the Jim Lee circle, there's subcircles of "Jim Lee fans who hate Neil Gaiman" and "Jim Lee fans who hate Star Wars." Etc. It's really complex to describe in words, but really easy to understand with diagrams.

The sad thing to me is how much a failure the 2D Villains books were. My store still has a ton of them. Personally, I didn't want any of the 3D covers at all, I only bought 9 Villains books and got the 2D version if they had it, but it seems like many people want the 3D covers or nothing. So they apparently could care less about anything in between the covers - and the whole rush for the 3D covers was because of the real/artificial shortage.

I think the whole event was bad for retailers, bad for readers - but it was good for business? What a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Ha View Post
    I also love the post, as I usually do.
    My analogies also break down, Gene, when I say "you and I", and an artist of your skill is the "you" reading it!

Thanks for the kind words, sir.

-B

I disagree that it was bad for any of those groups. In general it was good for retailers in that most, if not all, got more product to sell and sold more product in a category than they did in the months leading up to the event in that category.

Many of the one shots were decent reads, and some of them like Lex and Riddler were great reads. We are already seeing issues referencing the villains introduced in the one shots, in the regular new 52 titles, so there could be people going back to buy villains books after the fact as well.

It was also a very good month for business for me at least, we had the best September we have ever had, and in the aggregate of our three stores the highest gross sales in our 17 year history. 2D were not gobbled up in great numbers but for the few of the 3D that we sold out of in the early days, it did give us a way to get the stories into people's hands, and when we were out of some of the 3D they did sell, but once we got 3D back in stock sales on 2D did slow.

Ordering is partly art, but in general one can extrapolate numbers from historical sales charts. It is not that mystical.

Quote Originally Posted by BCYa View Post
    The sad thing to me is how much a failure the 2D Villains books were. My store still has a ton of them. Personally, I didn't want any of the 3D covers at all, I only bought 9 Villains books and got the 2D version if they had it, but it seems like many people want the 3D covers or nothing. So they apparently could care less about anything in between the covers - and the whole rush for the 3D covers was because of the real/artificial shortage.

I think the whole event was bad for retailers, bad for readers - but it was good for business? What a mess.
    Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. I'm sorry, this is hilarious. By your own account, buyers wanted the the 3D covers, so you went ahead and only bought the 2D covers because those were the ones YOU wanted. Okay, you understand, that, you are not the buyer-- your customers are. This was a failure. But, it looks to me like it was your fault.

And it was only bad for readers if their shops didn't order the books they wanted. And its only bad for retailers if they ordered the books their readers wanted. And it was good for business if the owners followed what their readers wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. I'm sorry, this is hilarious. By your own account, buyers wanted the the 3D covers, so you went ahead and only bought the 2D covers because those were the ones YOU wanted. Okay, you understand, that, you are not the buyer-- your customers are. This was a failure. But, it looks to me like it was your fault.

And it was only bad for readers if their shops didn't order the books they wanted. And its only bad for retailers if they ordered the books their readers wanted. And it was good for business if the owners followed what their readers wanted.
    I'm not a store owner - by "my store" I meant the store I go to. Sorry for any confusion. I just felt bad that the store I go to seemed to have so many leftover 2D books that weren't moving.