Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Axel-In-Charge - Oct 18, 2013

Axel Alonso talks Slott & Allred's "Silver Surfer," "Black Widow's" human side, Romero's "Empire of the Dead," All-New Marvel NOW! numbering and more.

Full article here.

I myself don't like how Dan Slott has done Spider-man and I don't like Allred's art style so passing on Silver Surfer. Which is sad because I really like Surfer but not with this team. Black Widow shipping two issues the first month for $3.99 a piece and me pre-ordering my books two months in advance means I will not pick up this until a trade if I hear good things about it.

sorry but .now and .inh is a stupid way to number books.

Dan Slott's story on the Surfer pitch and Axel's story about it are completely at odds. Not that it matters, but it's weird.

I know it was because of NYCC, but I really hate video interviews. Glad we'll be getting back to being able to read it next week.

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    Dan Slott's story on the Surfer pitch and Axel's story about it are completely at odds. Not that it matters, but it's weird.

I know it was because of NYCC, but I really hate video interviews. Glad we'll be getting back to being able to read it next week.
    Was about to post the same thing.

Slott says he wanted to volunteer but didn't and was approached by Brevoort.
    Now Axel says Slott volunteered and threw his hand up.

Odd.

All-New Marvel Now sounds a lot dumber than New 52. How many adjectives do they need to describe that it's new? All-New Contemporary Marvel Now the Present! And the renumbering. Reactionary Marvel gimmicks are making DC look good.

That's Marvel marketing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
    All-New Marvel Now sounds a lot dumber than New 52. How many adjectives do they need to describe that it's new? All-New Contemporary Marvel Now the Present! And the renumbering. Reactionary Marvel gimmicks are making DC look good.
    Might sound dumb but the titles are good unlike DC. There is a real crop of quality creators at Marvel now and their titles are good unlike a lot of the DC titles, and while the nomenclature of Marvel may be awkward/gimmicky at least the titles themselves are not to the same degree.

Quote Originally Posted by c'thulhu View Post
    Might sound dumb but the titles are good unlike DC. There is a real crop of quality creators at Marvel now and their titles are good unlike a lot of the DC titles, and while the nomenclature of Marvel may be awkward/gimmicky at least the titles themselves are not to the same degree.
    Hear Hear... QFT.

Nice article and video. But I wonder if Marvel has considered the possibility that too much relaunching and rebranding will cause the effect to lessen over time. I know new #1s sell better by default, but for a long time relaunches and rebranding was pretty rare. Then DC's New 52 came along and changed that. Now launching #1s has become a focal point, almost more than the series themselves. At some point, the novelty could wear off and then what will they do? I hope Marvel has considered that and doesn't use this sort of thing lightly.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Nice article and video. But I wonder if Marvel has considered the possibility that too much relaunching and rebranding will cause the effect to lessen over time. I know new #1s sell better by default, but for a long time relaunches and rebranding was pretty rare. Then DC's New 52 came along and changed that. Now launching #1s has become a focal point, almost more than the series themselves. At some point, the novelty could wear off and then what will they do? I hope Marvel has considered that and doesn't use this sort of thing lightly.
    Well I can't argue with that it might get old with all the relaunching, however at least they are doing something smart about it. Unlike DC, it's not a complete line wide relaunch. They are keeping old titles and adding new titles, granted only two titles have survived marvel now; Wolverine and the X-men and Daredevil(minus the ultimate universe of course). So, it should hold for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    The #1s are just for new readers. It's a lot less intimidating to jump into Awesome Comic #1, than Awesome Comic #524. New readers don't want to feel like they have to read years worth of books just to enjoy what's going on currently and with Marvel movies doing so well, I'm gonna guess they're getting a lot of new readers - so they have to accommodate them as well as the vets. For the vets, it doesn't change anything.

One of the things I've liked the most about this entire Marvel NOW movement is that we're getting books that have planned beginnings, middles and ends. Some books struggle when they go on too long. A prime example is Avengers Arena. From a concept standpoint, that book needs to end at some point and that ending was planned before the book even launched. It allowed Hopeless to tell the story he wanted to tell from start to finish. How often do we hear a writer say, "I wanted to do this and that and introduce some awesome stuff for this character, but there wasn't any time"? I think the potential for what I'll just call "extended series" is extremely high.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by c'thulhu View Post
    Having jumped on to Dc52 at the start but I'm now reading only three of my initial 23 pulls I have to agree. However...except for ANX-F, nothing else under the the MNow banner grabs my interest.

So from my perspective...both marketing/branding gimmicks have failed.

Kev Walker's art continues to be deliciously stunning...where is he going to after A: Arena?
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    Having jumped on to Dc52 at the start but I'm now reading only three of my initial 23 pulls I have to agree. However...except for ANX-F, nothing else under the the MNow banner grabs my interest.

So from my perspective...both marketing/branding gimmicks have failed.

Kev Walker's art continues to be deliciously stunning...where is he going to after A: Arena?
    He continues on with Dennis Hopeless to Avenger Arena's sequel Avengers Undercover.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sifighter View Post
    He continues on with Dennis Hopeless to Avenger Arena's sequel Avengers Undercover.
    Thank you, Sifighter.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)