Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Coffin Hill, #1

A rookie cop and the daughter of a legendary family is almost killed in Caitlin Kittredge and Inaki Miranda's "Coffin Hill" #1.

Full review here.

I liked the issue, but didn't love it. I agree there is a lot of potential here, but overall, a lot of time was spent showing what happened in the past but the conflict that will drive the series moving forward wasn't well established, so I don't have a good sense of what to expect or what kind of ride the creators are offering to take me on just yet. In a crowded market with lots of good book and readers with limited budgets, establishing that promise to begin with is crucial in getting readers to buy in and come back for a second issue.

I like the character and her circumstances, I like the art, but I am hesitant to buy in as I don't know what direction we are heading...what's more important moving forward-the fresh start, her life as a cop and the aftermath of the serial killer, the aftermath of the events that led to her being shot, or the events of her youth and her family's legacy-a lot there, but no clear idea how they will affect the story moving forward.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Some of the story was a bit confusing (why does a female cop have a pimp hanging out in her apartment) i really loved the art it looked amazing.

It was also nice to see sexuality without it being overly exploitative for once.

I will be sticking around to see where it goes.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    Some of the story was a bit confusing (why does a female cop have a pimp hanging out in her apartment) i really loved the art it looked amazing.

It was also nice to see sexuality without it being overly exploitative for once.

I will be sticking around to see where it goes.
    Same here...while it did not "wow" as a first issue, and I wanted a bit more insight into who and wot Eve really is, it did pique my interest going forward with respect to wot the hell happened to the third girl? And the eventual meeting between Eve and Kyle.

The art is gorgeous!

But...the positioning of the "place/time" bands at "eye level" across the page was quite distracting for me.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    Same here...while it did not "wow" as a first issue, and I wanted a bit more insight into who and wot Eve really is, it did pique my interest going forward with respect to wot the hell happened to the third girl? And the eventual meeting between Eve and Kyle.

The art is gorgeous!

But...the positioning of the "place/time" bands at "eye level" across the page was quite distracting for me.
    The art wowed me.

I think the story would have worked better if there was less of a page count so they could have given more focus to the story, instead it sort of felt all over the place/

the art is awesome.
    bit odd that these girls were supposed to be 15 years old though considering how sexed up everything was. Im not prudish, but im not into pedophilia either.

Quote Originally Posted by bl00mberg View Post
    the art is awesome.
    bit odd that these girls were supposed to be 15 years old though considering how sexed up everything was. Im not prudish, but im not into pedophilia either.
    15? where did you get that?

Just finished my copy, thought it was aj amazing read. I will be back for more. There are a lot of questions i want answered and the only way to get said answers is to read on. The art was enjoyable, and royalty fits the "tone" of the book so far. Looking forward to the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    Just finished my copy, thought it was aj amazing read. I will be back for more. There are a lot of questions i want answered and the only way to get said answers is to read on. The art was enjoyable, and royalty fits the "tone" of the book so far. Looking forward to the next issue.
    Yeah, a lot of storylines started in this first issue. I'm very interested to see the answers to them all.

I enjoyed the first issue as well. I appreciated getting more pages for the buck than we usually get from DC or Vertigo. I'm looking forward to more.
    Currently reading far too many comics to list (mostly DC/Vertigo), despite the best hope of my parents that I'd outgrow comics by the time I turned 50.

I forgot to mention how awesome the art was too. I really loved it. And Eve seems like a really deep character. I have a feeling this series is going to take us for all kinds of twists and turns.