Sketch Artist

Default Close to Completion

Does anyone have resources that they are having luck with for finding obscure back issues and whatnot?

I've searched Amazon, Ebay, mycomicshop.com and comicsamerica.com, and found what I could, but now I'm at a dead end.

I'm working towards 100% completion of all print Hellboy/BPRD and extended Mignolaverse.

So far I "believe" I've found everything except for 5 pieces.

• Comic Buyer's Guide #1070, Mike Mignola's Hellboy: World's Greatest Paranormal Investigator (promo insert, May 20, 1994) by Mike Mignola and John Byrne. Comic Buyer's Guide #1070
    • Celebrate Diversity (Collector's Edition) (catalog supplement, October 1994), includes "Hi, My Name is Hellboy", an ad by Mike Mignola.
    • Dark Horse Extra #42-44 (December 2001 � February 2002), includes "B.P.R.D." by Mike Mignola.

I'm working from a Master List that "should" have everything listed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ssgal0nxu...llboyList.xlsx

If anyone can lend a hand, please let me know!

-Switt!

www.milehighcomics.com carries the Comic Buyer's Guide, but does not have issue #1070 listed. It also has the listing for Celebrate Diversity (10/94) but does not have any in stock and unfortunately the same with Dark Horse Extra. You can sign up for a want list with them and they will notify you if anything shows up in stock. The owner is quite the traveler across the US to buy comics.

I would also recommend registering (it's free) with www.comicspriceguide.com as people there buy/sell comics and you can also create a want list.

Sketch Artist

Thanks Grog, I definitely will look into it! On the lucky side ebay just popped up with the Dark Horse Extra, so those are now covered. Now it's just the final two!

Got all the comics, but I need the to ad/inserts for completion(at least in my mind).

Quote Originally Posted by theSwitt View Post
    Thanks Grog, I definitely will look into it! On the lucky side ebay just popped up with the Dark Horse Extra, so those are now covered. Now it's just the final two!

Got all the comics, but I need the to ad/inserts for completion(at least in my mind).
    Do you have these?:

- Drawing On Your Nightmares Hellboy cover Dealer Incentive;
    - Hellboy: the Fury #3 Dealer Incentive;
    - Hellboy: Seed of Destruction Slipcase HC Edition;
    - Dime Press #4 early Hellboy cover;

Most of these will be pretty hard or expensive to come by. Just so you know.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Sketch Artist

I definitely missed those!
    I have Dimepress #4( which depending which comic centric tv show you watch ,you may see me purchase this season)
    But I am missing those three.

Aside from the Dealer Incentive on
    - Hellboy: the Fury #3 Dealer Incentive, it's just the cover thats different correct?

- Drawing On Your Nightmares Hellboy cover Dealer Incentive; same dealie, just a cover?

- Hellboy: Seed of Destruction Slipcase HC Edition; And this one I missed, I have every trade, library edition and hardcover otherwise!

So I guess I need those and:
    -Comic Buyer's Guide #1069, Mike Mignola's Hellboy Cover

-Comic Buyer's Guide #1070, Mike Mignola's Hellboy: World's Greatest Paranormal Investigator (promo insert, May 20, 1994) by Mike Mignola and John Byrne. Comic Buyer's Guide #1070

-Celebrate Diversity (Collector's Edition) (catalog supplement, October 1994), includes "Hi, My Name is Hellboy", an ad by Mike Mignola.

I definitely missed those!
    I have Dimepress #4( which depending which comic centric tv show you watch ,you may see me purchase this season)
    But I am missing those three.

Aside from the Dealer Incentive on
    - Hellboy: the Fury #3 Dealer Incentive, it's just the cover thats different correct?

- Drawing On Your Nightmares Hellboy cover Dealer Incentive; same dealie, just a cover?

- Hellboy: Seed of Destruction Slipcase HC Edition; And this one I missed, I have every trade, library edition and hardcover otherwise!

So I guess I need those and:
    -Comic Buyer's Guide #1069, Mike Mignola's Hellboy Cover

-Comic Buyer's Guide #1070, Mike Mignola's Hellboy: World's Greatest Paranormal Investigator (promo insert, May 20, 1994) by Mike Mignola and John Byrne. Comic Buyer's Guide #1070

-Celebrate Diversity (Collector's Edition) (catalog supplement, October 1994), includes "Hi, My Name is Hellboy", an ad by Mike Mignola.
    You're absolutely correct.
    I liked the Drawing On Your Nightmares variant, an Asian Happy Lampoon Fest kind of thing, eventhough I didn't ever manage to acquire a copy. But The Fury one - being also merely a variant cover - is just so stupidly rare it's no fun anymore.

The Slipcase HC originally cost $100 back in 1994/1995 - I managed to eBay one for less than double that amount including shipping, which seems a good deal to me. And the book edition I find totally worth it.

I wish you good luck.

P.S.: these will be the mass produced stuff - albeit not all of them are listed here. Even apart from all the ashcans and/or convention exclusives - there's a ton of that stuff too Hellboy-wise.

(Which is normal in "the comics biz", because freebies both as exclusives serve as a usually successful form of advertising. It drums up interest from mainstream crowds who usually only take interest in stuff as seemingly 'well-known'.
    Magazine formats or event organisers both as shopkeepers may like exclusive stuff to award their customers with. Whereas event-attenders usually insist on exclusives being part of the program. Like it would be fun to own something special if not necessarily all of that.

That's why exclusives or promo's are made, they aren't necessarily for collecting as much as ordinary comics would be.
    Eventhough exclusives or promo's like these usually also result in crazy prices or petty if not tragic attempts at overly steep resales from *speculative collectors*.
    For the fans all the early promo content has been reprinted, in far better quality than most of the promo stuff. For instance will any Seed of Destruction TPB contain the bulk of the promo material, being the colored Hellboy coat poster, the two different catalog inserts, plus the Anubis story.

So even with only collecting the trades, any fan would basically be golden, since the bulk of the obscure stuff is usually made for finding its way into the regular Hellboy books in some form or another.
    Or either the designated Sketchbooks sold at the Mignola shop will commonly be keeping fans up-to-date on what special covers and/or sketch pieces would've been made, which come signed and numbered all in signature black&white on archival paper at a reasonable price.)
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-02-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Does anyone have resources that they are having luck with for finding obscure back issues and whatnot?

I've searched Amazon, Ebay, mycomicshop.com and comicsamerica.com, and found what I could, but now I'm at a dead end.

I'm working towards 100% completion of all print Hellboy/BPRD and extended Mignolaverse.

So far I "believe" I've found everything except for 5 pieces.

• Comic Buyer's Guide #1070, Mike Mignola's Hellboy: World's Greatest Paranormal Investigator (promo insert, May 20, 1994) by Mike Mignola and John Byrne. Comic Buyer's Guide #1070
    • Celebrate Diversity (Collector's Edition) (catalog supplement, October 1994), includes "Hi, My Name is Hellboy", an ad by Mike Mignola.
    • Dark Horse Extra #42-44 (December 2001 � February 2002), includes "B.P.R.D." by Mike Mignola.

I'm working from a Master List that "should" have everything listed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ssgal0nxu...llboyList.xlsx

If anyone can lend a hand, please let me know!

-Switt!
    Oddly enough, I have seen all your posts across the internet trying to track these down, including your Tumblr page.

HELLBOY HUNT 2013[UPDATE] The missing 6

Took me about a year to track down the Comic Buyer's Guide #1070 insert. It is a pretty cool little Hellboy read.

Great luck with the search!
    Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid. - Franklin P. Jones

First you wanna kill me - now you wanna kiss me. Blow! -Ash