Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default NYCC: Al Ewing Recruits "Loki: Agent of Asgard"

In a new series from "Mighty Avengers" writer Al Ewing and artist Lee Garbett, the formerly kid Loki grows up and becomes an "Agent of Asgard" as high espionage mixes with godly mischief to reveal a murdered Thor and more.

Full article here.

I have no idea what to expect from this but I'm willing to give it a try.

On a not so unrelated note, a part of me hopes that we'll get to see Sigyn again at one point (I'd be fine with a tiny guest appearance of her in any of the Asgardian related titles really, not necessarily this one).

Congrats to Ewing.

I'll try issue #1, should be interesting.

So now he is Young Adult Loki instead of Kid Loki. The premise sounds a lot like JIM but I am still going to read this.

I'm on board more with this because of the character than I am the story. Really not interested in another 'Death of' storyline, especially when it's a big gun character.

The premise of the story sounds good though, and I've followed Loki under Gillen and will follow him to her with Ewing
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

The comparison to Kate Bishop and the fact that Jamie McKelvie designed this new look gives me hope that Young Avengers is still going.
    "Shh... you were always here, waiting for yourself to arrive." -- Jean Grey, New X-Men 153

After watching Gillen shepherd Loki brilliantly for the last few years, first in JiM and then YA, I'm hesitant to see him shuffled off to another writer. I haven't read enough from Ewing to know if he's in good hands. Mighty Avengers started off in the middle of a MegaEvent, so it hasn't had a chance to find its own voice yet.
    I believe all that needs to be said has been. So here’s my two cents.”
    -- ScottMC, inadvertently summing up the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    After watching Gillen shepherd Loki brilliantly for the last few years, first in JiM and then YA, I'm hesitant to see him shuffled off to another writer. I haven't read enough from Ewing to know if he's in good hands. Mighty Avengers started off in the middle of a MegaEvent, so it hasn't had a chance to find its own voice yet.
    This is rather interesting... from the looks of it, Loki is older... but not AS old, as he usually is. It looks more like he's... TEEN-loki?? Or, young Adult Loki. He looks to be 19-22, or thereabouts.

Hmm. I wouldn't mind some personal hormonal drama if he stayed with the YA AS WELL! ;) Loki is, as you all know, when it comes down to it, unbelievably charming. It's his super-power even.

Damn! He's a hand-some vily fellow!

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

The big concept of All-New Marvel NOW! in general seems to be a first issue that shows off everything about the series in as big a way as possible
    This is a concept? How? How is htis not every 1s tissue of a book?
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by coconutphone View Post
    I don't think you ever want to play your whole hand on the issue, but you want to show that it's going to be good, not boring.

However, giving too much away in the first issue can leave it cluttered. But I trust Ewing. Even if Mighty Avengers is in Infinity right now, he's managed to show its tone and keep it grounded while giving us elements that make it feel like a Marvel comic.

He trusts these characters and concepts, so I'm not too concerned about what he'll do with Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by coconutphone View Post

To be fair, the trend of modern comics has been to hook readers with BIG drama. Look at Brian Michael Bendis, Geoff Johns, or Jonathan Hickman comics.

I think Matt Fraction's Hawkeye has really changed Marvel's approach, though.

It's best to remember that every writer is different. Some writers can't do "big" while other writers can't do small.

Look at how much better Fraction does when he works with a smaller cast and a more intimate setting. And then look at what happens when you give him Thor or X-Men.

I love Loki. That Frank Cho cover is boss. And Ewing seems to be handling his business in MA.
    Yeah, I'm in. Can't wait til this hits.

I hate Cho, so Im happy he's not doing the interiors.