Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default NYCC Exclusive: Fred Van Lente Takes on "Conan the Barbarian"

Fred Van Lente is set to take over Dark Horse Comics' "Conan the Barbarian" in March 2014, and CBR News has the exclusive first interview with the writer on what he's bringing to the Hyborian Age.

Full article here.

Van Lente must be a charming fellow because he's been getting a lot of looks across the industry.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

those are some big shoes to fill.

Huh. I thought for sure they were going to be starting over with a new number one and a new subtitle. They went 50 issues with Conan The Cimmerian and then 12 issues for Road of Kings. Guess they're gonna stick with maybe another 25 issues for the Conan The Barbarian name? Either way, I love the Dark Horse Conan stuff and look forward to Van Lente's run. Really hope the art is a lot better for this next go around.

lets speculate on art....

Valerio Schiti!!!!!
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

No more stretching or "filling the gaps" for a a REH story over 25 issues and Ill be happy.

Mignola came up with the best solution for handling that sort of thing years ago with Hall of the Dead: a single arc, no more.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

hoping Van Lente's run will have a more classic look (i.e. better art) than some of Wood's. then again we have King Conan for that.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

King is about to end.

Wood is great but I feel like Van Lente will be a better fit.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

I will check out the first few issues of Van Lente's adaptation of People of the Black Circle before he takes over CtB. I am a pretty big REH fan overall, and Conan in particular, so I want to like his take, but the mini is a trial run of sorts for me because there are so many good books on the market and so few dollars in my monthly budget. I like what Van Lente said in the brief interview, but the proof is in the pudding so to speak, and that includes the artwork in the book, and I need to see something I like before I commit to keeping CtB on my pull. I've liked the Wood run for the most part, but feel the adaptation of Queen of the Black Coast has dragged on a bit too long, and would have been more impactful with less additions-less is more so to speak, and with more consistent art from arc to arc (I understand Wood was trying to explore the characters and their relationship, but some of the arcs did not have the rewarding payoff that others did, and served to delay the end and lessen the tension of impending doom their relationship had rather than build anticipation for the end). For me, Cloonan's work was a big draw (bigger than Wood's writing) and that brought me back to a comic shop for the first time in 4 years to pick up the early issues (and that fateful trip got me back into comics big time), but not every artistic successor has lived up to the promise of the early issues, and I have questioned staying with the run at times because of that inconsistency when there is so much other great stuff out there (and I have the Howard originals available to me any time I want). I like the promise that Van Lente's run seems to offer, but I need that promised fulfilled in the execution to stick around this time.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    King is about to end.
    The Hour Of The Dragon has one more issue left. it will be followed by 6 issues of King Conan: The Conqueror.