Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Default Once Upon A Time In Wonderland: Season 1

So I just finished watching the first episode of this new spin-off series, and I LOVED it! I love how the characters in this series feel much more entrenched in the land of fairly tales. Seeing the creepy horror of Alice starting out in an insane asylum in Victorian England because she simply told the truth about what she saw in Wonderland brought interesting gravitas to the character's background. And then when she is told that her love Cyrus is alive she turns so seriously kick-butt, I swear Lara Croft could hardly have done better!

And as for Cyrus the genie:

WOOF, who needs wishes when you have a dreamboat like that at your doorstep?

Also interesting to me is that we are shown with the Knave of Hearts and the White Rabbit, that there are obviously characters who can simply bypass Regina's curse in Storybrooke, and that when we are shown the Red Queen that there are characters in the other worlds that were powerful enough to not get sucked into the curse in the main show.

I also liked that they obviously re-shot the scenes with the Red Queen and classed up her appearance from the somewhat scantily clad number we saw her in before in the stuff that was released before the show came to air. I'm going to really enjoy seeing the dynamic of the Red Queen and how she was influenced by Cora after she was exiled to Wonderland by Regina when the inevitable flashbacks kick in.

But what I'm really liking in this show is that the flashbacks are just that, they aren't a separate tale like in the OUAT mother ship show, this show remains magical throughout. I also like how the promise is that each season will be self contained, unlike the main show that is just so muddled now and all over the place with the characters going around in developmental circles with no real change.

So ALL the characters are appealing, the magical elements are engaging, and this show just seems like so much fun! If the rest of this season is like the first episode I will be a loyal viewer, unlike OUAT which I am no longer interested in watching.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Well, I like it better than Tim Burton's Alice. Sure, it had better FX and a famous cast, but no sense of whimsy that the material needs.

What surprises me is that despite the "Once Upon a Time" name, it's very much a traditional Wonderland story, albeit one that's a sequel.
    Also, the real-world characters in OUaT recognize the fictional characters from the stories and movies they're based in...but none of Alice's shrinks realize that her story is straight out of Lewis Carol's work?

They probably should have spent more than five minute establishing Cryus and Alice's great love,though.

I wonder if they're setting up a love triangle, because the Knave of Hearts is far more interesting character than Cyrus the damsel dude.

I like the scrappy Alice, though.

This Red Queen is no Regina, though it helps that she's apparently not the ultimate villain. Jaffar was an interesting surprise, but I hope they don't go too far in throwing in characters from other franchises.

I'll check it out again, but I think the tone of the whole thing may end up being too, for lack of a better, girly, for my tastes. OUaT is pretty much my limit on that.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

With all the eloborate sets and CGI involved , i imagine this show is more costly than agents of shield.

That genie is pretty pathetic for a so-called magical being , so he's a different genie from agrabah ? Not the same one from once upon a time , the old genie that regina turned into the magic mirror ?

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    With all the eloborate sets and CGI involved , i imagine this show is more costly than agents of shield.

That genie is pretty pathetic for a so-called magical being , so he's a different genie from agrabah ? Not the same one from once upon a time , the old genie that regina turned into the magic mirror ?
    The Red Queen called the Genie Jafar, as in:

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    The Red Queen called the Genie Jafar, as in:

Huh ? The sorcerer is Jafar , the genie that Alice is pining for is called Cyrus. Don't remember that the genie/magic mirror in OUAT was ever named.

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Huh ? The sorcerer is Jafar , the genie that Alice is pining for is called Cyrus. Don't remember that the genie/magic mirror in OUAT was ever named.
    The genie in the magic mirror was never named outside of his Storybrooke name, Sidney Glass. And obviously there's multiple genies just as there are multiple fairies, etc. The one in Once Upon a Time was from Agrabah as well, but never linked to Aladdin or Jafar by name, so its possible this Cyrus is the genie from Aladdin's story.

As far as for why Alice's doctors didn't recognize her from the stories, that's because Alice isn't from 'our' world either. Frankenstein's story in OUAT showed that there are other worlds out there that are mostly like ours, and as she was in a version of Victorian England when the Knave rescued her after the Rabbit came to get him in present day Storybrooke, Maine, its clear that she originates from one of those worlds that is similar to our world's past.
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Well, I like it better than Tim Burton's Alice. Sure, it had better FX and a famous cast, but no sense of whimsy that the material needs.

What surprises me is that despite the "Once Upon a Time" name, it's very much a traditional Wonderland story, albeit one that's a sequel.
    And that's what I am liking, it's a sequel but the characters are very recognizable. The problem with OUAT for me is that there is far too much combining and mish-mashing fairy tale stories and character origins and interactions for my tastes. It makes the show progressively too muddled, the same fate that happened to both LOST and Alias.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    This Red Queen is no Regina, though it helps that she's apparently not the ultimate villain. Jaffar was an interesting surprise, but I hope they don't go too far in throwing in characters from other franchises.
    Well it's only the first episode, and the Red Queen is supposed to be a character that has more whimsy in her, until of course you tick her off. Then she wants your head. And since those in charge said this spin-off show is supposed to be self-contained seasons, then the Red Queen, Jafar, and Cora in flashbacks are probably going to be the only villains. It's my understanding that if this show does well then the Wonderland cast will be back for a second season. If the ratings aren't what they want then this story will be done and they may try to do Oz next.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    As far as for why Alice's doctors didn't recognize her from the stories, that's because Alice isn't from 'our' world either.
    Yes, Storybrooke is in our world, but Alice as a young adult was still in the literary Victorian England of the Lewis Carol book.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

I saw the episode and liked it as its pretty fun. Its similar to the other show but not that different. I think the only confusing thing for a new viewer is Storybrook itself so i'm guessing they have a episode where they do go into who the Knave of hearts is and how he got to Storybrook since Alice and other characters don't have an idea about the curse.

I only just realized that Alice wasn't from our world but from the Victorian literature world so it would be cool to see them interact with each other down the road.

Im iffy on genies but i hope we get to see Alladin and his peeps in agrabah down the road even if it is just flashbacks. (Please let them be middle eastern).

Wow that is one scary Cheshire Cat!

Pretty awesome premier, and it relied very little on what we know of Once Upon A Time (I'm surprised they even had Leroy and Ashley for that one scene), which was a good thing. So Alice first visited Wonderland as a child but then went back when she was older and that's when she met Cyrus, right? Story feels pretty epic, and for the most part, Wonderland looks pretty cool.

Jafar's always been a favorite villain of mine, and I love seeing Naveen Andrews playing him, but I don't want him to overshadow the Wonderland aspect of this show. Odd enough the main love interest is a genie. I'm guessing Red Queen will find a way to turn the tables on him and become the main villain, playing whatever game she's got planned. Maybe Jafar can cross over to Once Upon A Time while this show can get Queen of Hearts and Mad Hatter in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Also interesting to me is that we are shown with the Knave of Hearts and the White Rabbit, that there are obviously characters who can simply bypass Regina's curse in Storybrooke, and that when we are shown the Red Queen that there are characters in the other worlds that were powerful enough to not get sucked into the curse in the main show.
    Regina's curse only affected people in the Enchanted Forest, didn't it? So if they were in Wonderland or another world, the curse wouldn't have touched them anyway.

Elder Member

I was deeply underwhelmed by this. Granted it was a pilot, but it was also a spinoff from an established show, so I would have expected it to start off on firmer footing. For a show based on a book that's all about imagination and wonder, this episode displayed precious little of either. It name checked all the right elements, but everything felt like it was just going through the motions. The whole thing felt kind of stiff and turgid, and the story and action moved like it was mired in quicksand.
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I was deeply underwhelmed by this. Granted it was a pilot, but it was also a spinoff from an established show, so I would have expected it to start off on firmer footing. For a show based on a book that's all about imagination and wonder, this episode displayed precious little of either. It name checked all the right elements, but everything felt like it was just going through the motions. The whole thing felt kind of stiff and turgid, and the story and action moved like it was mired in quicksand.
    I was a bit underwhelmed as well. It hit all the talking points a show about Alice In Wonderland should hit, but they felt like glancing blows instead of direct hits. I'll give it a try but ABC really should move it from that time slot ASAP. It's gonna get buried.

Things I Liked
    Sophie Lowe as Alice - Thought she brought a freshness to the role.
    Michael Socha as The Knave of Hearts - Breakout star of the show! His chemistry with Lowe was fantastic from their first scene together.
    Emma Ribgy as The Red Queen - While the final scene with Jafar was a bit hammy, I thought she brought a quiet "sinister-ness" to the role. Though her jaw line is slightly disturbing.
    The Wonderland Sets - I loved the vibrant colors and the whimsical feel.

Things I Didn't Like
    John Lithgow as the White Rabbit - Complete mail in performance. Straight cash grab! (CTC)
    Peter Gadiot as Cyrus - I know he didn't have many scenes but his chemistry with Lowe palled in comparison to Socha. Huge gap!
    Special Effects - The fight scene with the Cheshire Cat was painful to watch.

I was kinda meh on Naveen Andrews as Jafar, he wasn't bad, just didn't stand out.

Elder Member

I didn't care for any of the actors. I honestly didn't think a single one of them really hit the mark for their characters. Lowe was probably the best and she was just okay.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Yes, Storybrooke is in our world, but Alice as a young adult was still in the literary Victorian England of the Lewis Carol book.
    Yep. The England that Alice is in is basically another story realm, just like Wonderland or the Enchanted Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Regina's curse only affected people in the Enchanted Forest, didn't it? So if they were in Wonderland or another world, the curse wouldn't have touched them anyway.
    Right, though she may have done something specifically to grab Dr. Frankenstein.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Plus, the curse is broken.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...