Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    man offshoots and spinoffs oh yeaah, definition of comics right herreee

Olivia benson is my favorite
    I totally have a TV crush on Olivia. In real life Mariska's mom was Jane Mansfield.

Default Rock n Roll Women

Just a few of my favorites (by no means exhaustive list)

Joan Jett

L7

Lunachicks

Bangles

Go-Go's (for some reason like more now that I and they are older)

Bessie Coleman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_Coleman

someone should make a movie about her.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Also I think Women are portrayed good in TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    It has certainly changed, which is fantastic. More hit shows have female leads than ever before; it's still not perfect, but we have much to be proud of.
    I was thinking about this months ago. It seems women are portrayed much better on Television than they are in film for the most part. I'm not sure why that is though.
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 10-10-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stelok View Post
    Alice Munro....who is she?
    She is a short story writer from Ontario that writes about women's lives.

The material ranges from relationships, marriage, friendship, break-up, hatred to every emotion relationships known to man. Her women are seen to be in the traditional woman's role but they always yearn for something more and sometimes they achieve (at times with dire consequences) or they don't. Her lives of her characters at times range from months to years.

An example of that is from one of my favorite stories by her. A woman is dating a somewhat calculated and emotional cold man--who she loves-- and he breaks up with her. We read about her life during and after the break-up and then she meets the man again and we see that he still has an HUGE influence in her life; she was devastated by him and we see that progress all the way up to the meeting.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Grats to Munro. I thought Murakami had that thing locked up! Quite a surprise. Good for her though. Murakami will likely get another shot at it. He is due.
    LOVE Murakami; but yes his time will come. Kafka: On the Shore and after the quake are my two favourite works by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    As for TV leading ladies, my faves are Kate Beckett (Castle), Joan (Mad Men) & Arya Stark (GoT) though she is still a child, at least in terms of age. They are all strong in their own way. Olivia Benson is also a badass, no doubt. I would also include Alice Morgan (Luther) on that list but her sociopathic murdering tendencies make her a bit less heroic.
    Arya is my second favourite character after Daenerys. As for Alice in Luther, she's sooooooooooo much fun. A brilliant concept that makes the series stand out; I was so happy when I realised she was more than "the villain of episode 1".

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    I wonder what was going on between 1966 and 1991, as far as awarding Nobel Prizes! very interesting stats, Kieran.
    Hmmmmm... that is odd. I'm surprised Iris Murdoch never received the accolade. I'd happily see Annie Proulx get one too. Not many playwrights are awarded the prize, but Lillian Helman is (in my eyes) the greatest female playwright.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    My favorite TV characters: Leslie Knope and April Ludgate on Parks and Rec, but yep, it was Liz Lemon. (As well as Pam Beasley [not Halpert]). I was an NBC Thursday night mark.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This young lady here definitely deserves our respect and admiration. http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...id=msnhp&pos=1
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH! Such a brave girl, who could have easily gone into hiding after the first attempt on her life; instead she still speaks out and fights for equality. I doubt I would be so brave.

This part was beautiful: Asked by host Jon Stewart what she would do if confronted by attackers, Malala explained why should not use violence: “If you hit a Talib, then there would be no difference between you and the Talib. You must not treat others with cruelty…You must fight others through peace and through dialogue and through education.
    “I would tell him how important education is and that I would even want education for your children as well. That’s what I want to tell you,” she imagined telling her assailant, before adding “now do what you want.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    I was thinking about this months ago. It seems women are portrayed much better on Television than they are in film for the most part. I'm not sure why that is though.
    I'm not 100% sure about this; I think partly negative portrayals of women are in the (for want of a better phrase) dumb comedies and action films, both of which are often huge successes and therefore are seen by more. But "most" years we get a good bunch of strong female roles and
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

I'm not 100% sure about this; I think partly negative portrayals of women are in the (for want of a better phrase) dumb comedies and action films, both of which are often huge successes and therefore are seen by more. But "most" years we get a good bunch of strong female roles and
    There was a recent PBS documentary about Wonder Woman and one of the women interviewed (I forget which) briefly talked about how negative a lot of female roles are in films. When I was researching for a project at the AI (so over 10 years ago) I read that women (I forget the age group) made up the largest demographic of TV viewers. I was thinking the desire to appeal to their target audience may be why there are more positive portrayals of female characters on TV. Although I have no idea which demographic makes up the bulk of movie goers. (I assume white males.)
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

As far as movies go, I think my favourite actresses would have to be Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Angela Basset and Angelina Jolie.

In music one of my all time favourites would have to be Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Joni Mitchell and Grace Jones.

For comic book characters, Wonder Woman, Black Swan, Gamora, Black Widow and Mantis.

Haven't given much thought to TV other than Alice from the Luther BBC TV series as she has a level of assured depth juxtaposed by an underlying lethality that I find intriguing enough juxtaposed against Luther's broodingly conflicted character. (for those familiar with the series)
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

Who is your current favourite female character on TV?
    There are quite a few exceptional characters. Off the top of my head.

Diana Rigg was the best actor in Game of Thrones season 3. The only one that came close to how good her performances were is Charles Dance and their scene together was brilliant. Those two really stole the show this season. She also was in a pretty good episode of Doctor Who season 7.

I think Anna Torv as FBI Agent Olivia Dunham from Fringe is a pretty good one however I haven't watched seasons 4 or 5 yet so no spoilers please.

Stana Katic on Castle is another good one. Detective Kate Beckett is very strong role but also vulnerable and I think that can make for a well rounded character.

There was a recent PBS documentary about Wonder Woman and one of the women interviewed (I forget which) briefly talked about how negative a lot of female roles are in films. When I was researching for a project at the AI (so over 10 years ago) I read that women (I forget the age group) made up the largest demographic of TV viewers. I was thinking the desire to appeal to their target audience may be why there are more positive portrayals of female characters on TV. Although I have no idea which demographic makes up the bulk of movie goers. (I assume white males.)
    Here's something fun to do. Think of your 10 favourite films... and apply the Brechdel Test to them. It's SHOCKING how many fail.
    DO THE FILM HAVE:
    1. Two named female characters...
    2. ...who talk to each other...
    3. ...about something other than a man.

Of my "Top 10" only the Silence of the Lambs (1991) and Spirited Away (2001) pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    As far as movies go, I think my favourite actresses would have to be Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Angela Basset and Angelina Jolie.
    In music one of my all time favourites would have to be Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Joni Mitchell and Grace Jones.
    For comic book characters, Wonder Woman, Black Swan, Gamora, Black Widow and Mantis.
    LOVE these ideas (that said... Angelina Jolie... really?)

FAVOURITE ACTRESS
    1. Cate Blanchett
    2. Meryl Streep
    3. Katherine Hepburn
    Runner Up: Whoopi Goldberg (she NEEDS to do more dramatic roles; she's astounding)

FAVOURITE SINGER
    1. Melanie Chisholm
    2. Sarah Maclachlin
    3. Julie Andrews (so gay, I know!)
    Runner-up: Nina Simone

FAVOURITE COMIC CHARACTER
    1. Moonstone [Dr. Karla Sofen]
    2. the White Queen [Emma Frost]
    3. Storm [Queen Ororo Monroe]
    Runner Up: Dust [Sooraya Qadir]

FAVOURITE WRITER
    1. Lillian Helman
    2. Juliet Mariller
    3. Yazmina Reza
    Runner Up: Agatha Christie

Diana Rigg was the best actor in Game of Thrones season 3. The only one that came close to how good her performances were is Charles Dance and their scene together was brilliant. Those two really stole the show this season. She also was in a pretty good episode of Doctor Who season 7
    Oh, sooooooooooooo true! Dame Diana Rigg was BRILLIANT. And yes, that scene about "buggery" had me in stitches; wonderfully acted.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

LOVE these ideas (that said... Angelina Jolie... really?)
    What's wrong with Angelina Jolie?
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

It's cool to see so many people have a fondness for Det. Olivia Benson. Truly one of the great women characters. Really the L&O franchise has had many great women characters:

Lt. Anita Van Buren (L&O)
    Det. Alexandra Eames (CI)
    Det. Megan Wheeler (CI)
    ADA Casey Novak (SVU)
    ADA Alexandra Cabot (SVU)
    ADA Claire Kincade (L&O)
    M.E. Melinda Warner (SVU)
    S.M.E Elizabeth Rodgers (L&O/CI)

Favorite Women Characters on TV
    Dr. Christina Yang (Grey's Anatomy) This is Sandra Oh's last season portraying the role
    Prof. River Song (Doctor Who)
    Det. Olivia Benson (L&O: SVU)
    Pam (True Blood)
    V.P. Selena Meyers (Veep)
    Dr. Jill Watson (Elementary)
    Olivia Pope (Scandal)
    Joan Holloway (Mad Men)

Favorite Singers
    Sade
    Amy Winehouse
    Stevie Nicks
    Grace Jones
    Janelle Monae
    Madonna
    Kylie Minouge
    Adele
    Duffy

Comic Characters
    Jean Grey
    Storm
    Black Widow
    Barbara Gordon
    Cassandra Cain
    Black Canary
    Vixen
    Monet St. Croix
    Amanda "The Wall" Waller (Not the thin Version)
    Catwoman

Actresses
    (Stage)
    Audra McDonald
    Megan Hilty
    Elizabeth Marvel
    Nina Arianda
    Sutton Foster
    Phylicia Rashad
    Condola Rashad
    Viola Davis

(Screen)
    Jodie Foster
    Dame Judi Dench
    Dame Helen Mirren
    Kate Winslet
    Cate Blanchett
    Tilda Swinton
    Viola Davis
    Angelina Jolie
    Pam Grier
    Angela Basset
    Alfre Woodward
    Last edited by R.E. Barnes; 10-11-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I was hoping you'd ask!

Amanda Clark/Emily Thorne - Revenge. Played by Emily Vancamp.
    I loved the first season, her character especially. I couldn't get through the second season however. She seems to have lost the motivation for "Revenge", and some of the soap-opera style plot twists and some of the side stories just lost my interest.

My favorite actresses/roles on TV right now? Gillian Jacobs/Britta on "Community", because she's the worst. Maisie Williams/Arya Stark on "Game of Thrones" is nailing her character (was very disappointed in Rose Leslie/Ygritte, as a fan of the books). Emily Mortimer/MacKenzie McHale on "the Newsroom". Kate Mulgrew/"Red" on "Orange is the New Black" (get Netflix for a month just to watch that, watch "House of Cards" with Kate Mara and Kevin Spacey while you're at it). Kristen Schaal/Louise in "Bob's Burgers" (it counts). And I was very surprised how much I enjoyed Keri Russell/Elizabeth Jennings on "the Americans". Can't wait for that show to come back (and so sad Margo Martindale is on that s##ty-looking sitcom "the Millers" instead of playing the big mama bear Russian).
    A Fool for the Foom

So... I wanted to bring up Emma Frost's sex tape! I think it's absurd that the two tapes of women (Tigra and Emma) are about sexualisation of a character; but the only tape of a man in recent years (Hawkeye) is him being tough and macho killing someone (this was proved to be a fake tape, so he can be even more heroic getting it back).

Anyone else find this contrast... disappointing? (or worse: concerning)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Author Jung Chang: My books are banned in China
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/15/author...china-4145435/

Wild Swans author Jung Chang on restoring the status of the most important woman in Chinese history. The Empress Dowager Cixi is the most important woman in Chinese history. In her day, women really had a very low status in China – they were not allowed to leave their house. Yet from the time of the 1861 coup that made her regent, until her death in 1908, she was, behind the scenes, the absolute ruler of a third of the world’s population. She was a moderniser but her image is of an archly conservative diehard despot, so this is a radical reinterpretation. She outlawed foot-binding in 1902 and abolished the medieval practice of death by 1,000 cuts. Though she failed to deliver it, her project was to turn China into a constitutional monarchy.

I became interested in Cixi 20 years ago when I was researching my family memoir, Wild Swans. I was astonished by the freedoms the young Mao had under her rule. He could have easily got a scholarship to college, travelled abroad, checked into a hotel with a girlfriend, or said whatever he wanted in a newspaper – there was very little censorship under Cixi. All these freedoms were undreamt of when I was growing up under Mao.

[MORE IN LINK]

I have only heard about the Empress Dowager Cixi recently, but looking up information on her is FASCINATING. And the fact information on her is so distorted and hidden by the male dominant regime doesn't surprise me (sadly). It sounds like a brilliant story... and yes, it should be a movie! :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlotte Church: Music industry presents women as unattainable sex bots
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/14/charlo...-bots-4146271/

Charlotte Church has criticised the way the music industry presents women as ‘objects’, saying it has a ‘juvenile perspective on gender and sexuality’. The Welsh singer delivered this year’s Peel Lecture of BBC Radio 6 Music, taking pop to task in the shadow of overtly sexual videos from Rihanna and Miley Cyrus that have debuted in recent weeks. ‘It is a male-dominated industry, with a juvenile perspective on gender and sexualit,’ she said in her speech. From what I can see there are three main roles that women are allowed to fill in modern pop music, each of them restrictive for both artist and audience.

‘They are mainly portrayed through the medium of the music video. You’ll find them very familiar. I call them the ‘One-of-the-girls Girls’, the ‘Victim/Torch Singer’ and ‘Unattainable Sex Bot’.’ She continued: ‘The ‘one-of-the-girls girls’ role is a painfully thin reduction of feminism that generally seems to point to a world where so long as you can hang out with your girls it’s possible to sort of wave away the evils that men do. This denigrates women and men equally, and yet is commonly lauded for being empowering.

[MORE IN LINK]

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-15-2013 at 04:01 AM.