Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    First ep of season 2 for Valvrave was great!
    In retrospect, Season 2's been really good so far. The latest episode is just
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."
    -The Drunkard Kid, on Evangelion

Girl pulled a Rolo

I did not see that one coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikidum View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    If you're still reading these, I'll put another one in for Big O if you like noir, and I'd also add the Zoids series.

Starting with Zoids Chaotic Century, which is only about 67 episodes long. You never said what you'd consider to be too long for an anime, but I've seen anime breach the 300-500 episode area, so 'perspectives.

Zoids was pretty much the reason I never got into Power Rangers or Dinobots.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Girl pulled a Rolo

I did not see that one coming.
    I was thinking Heaven's Feel Normal End
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."
    -The Drunkard Kid, on Evangelion

Quote Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
    If you're still reading these, I'll put another one in for Big O if you like noir, and I'd also add the Zoids series.

Starting with Zoids Chaotic Century, which is only about 67 episodes long. You never said what you'd consider to be too long for an anime, but I've seen anime breach the 300-500 episode area, so 'perspectives.

Zoids was pretty much the reason I never got into Power Rangers or Dinobots.
    Oh I love Zoids. Though I'd recommend New Century Zero first instead its shorter and IMHO better.

Bubblegum Crisis was mentioned earlier-that series actually sort of exists in a few seperate continuities/different styles.

The original series is VERY 80s, and features a lot of inspiration from 80s films such as STREETS OF FIRE, TERMINATOR and BLADE RUNNER. The animation is well done for 80's OAV anime although it changes styles here and there. It's only 8 episodes, although there is a less well regarded sequel, Bubblegum Crash. Basically the story is about four vigilante women with powered robot suits who battle rogue service robots and also the evil corporation behind them.

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 though is a full TV 26-episode series from the late 90s/early 2000s. The story and style is extremely different, more kind of techno/cyberpunk and the character designs of the leads are more angular (and similar to a lot of late 90's anime) and also highly different (The leader Woman Sylvia for instance, who had short black hair in the original, has long silver hair in this). The mecha designs of the suits is mostly the same though, oddly enough. (Although the 'bad' robots look less cool). There's less unresolved plotlines though, the original kind of had a lot of loose threads. This series is also easier to watch, it's available streaming (The original series has blu-rays in the planning stages though).

Both series I think had spinoffs called AD POLICE (Based on the police force in BCG's future world), which is much darker but I've never seen either.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-04-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy

Armored Trooper Votoms

Patlabor
    Last edited by Sword Saint; 11-05-2013 at 07:23 PM.

The Gundam movie trilogy is pretty good, it does cut a lot of the weirder aspects of the TV show, such as many of the "Mobile armors" (Basically, non-suit mecha that mostly look like monsters), and a tank in space.

The animation is mostly from the TV show for the first two films, but the third film features a lot of new animation (About 80's level animation).

Never seen Votoms, but I've heard it's pretty good and that it basically builds on what Gundam accomplished for the mecha genre.

Patlabor's OK from what I've seen, the movies get a lot of acclaim I think, the director from Ghost In The Shell worked on them I believe.