Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 167
  1. #76
    Senior Member Stu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Loved it. Story and art came together so well(I loved photo of Kate and Beth Kane in Phillip's office, linking Bruce to them more definitively), and it was a really nice, refreshing take that was still BATMAN. Couple of little issues though:
    -I kinda felt like they glossed over the early outings as Batman a bit, what with the first time we see in him costume, he's already got a reputation/urban legend built around him
    -Phillip's death should have gotten a bit more play in the aftermath of the Ace Chemical explosion. It clearly affected Bruce when he unmasked him, but it doesn't come up when talking to Alfred.
    "Batman is this force that appears out of nowhere behind a guy or all the sudden comes through the window like a man-sized brick and the note attached is a serious ass-whooping"

  2. #77
    Member MykeHavoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Is it just me or does Greg drawing Zero Year Batman costume fighting the red hood gang remind them of Batman TAS? I'm thinking it's the pointy ears and the way he draws Batmans eyes. I just got really nostalgic this whole issue.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm sure it's intentional, as TAS is one of Snyder's biggest influences on his writing of the character.

  3. #78
    Senior Member BloodOps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Man I loved this, Snyder dissappointed me with Night of the Owls and Death of the Family to an extent but his Court of Owls, Clayface 2 parter and Zero Year have been fantastic so far.


    It would be perfect for Zero Year to end with a Joker cameo on the last page.
    PSN: BloodOps
    "Tt..You can't just build a boat and hope darkness magically sails away with it."

    "Why not? It's my boat."

  4. #79
    Member YMCMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Goon City
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Damn I gotta hand it to Snyder, that was really great. Probably my favorite issue of his run so far, maybe behind #5. Not much else to say really...

    Edit: Red Hood 1's confidence and shockingly accurate foresight while falling into a vat of acid was kinda corny tho...
    It would've worked better for the multiple choice theory if Red Hood had just accidentally fallen into the acid, and yelled "No!!!" on his way down, rather than all of that other dialogue. His dialogue prior to falling into the vat makes it pretty obvious that this guy is the real Red Hood 1...
    Last edited by YMCMB; 10-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.

  5. #80
    Junior Member dmreyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Loved it. Story and art came together so well(I loved photo of Kate and Beth Kane in Phillip's office, linking Bruce to them more definitively), and it was a really nice, refreshing take that was still BATMAN. Couple of little issues though:
    -I kinda felt like they glossed over the early outings as Batman a bit, what with the first time we see in him costume, he's already got a reputation/urban legend built around him
    -Phillip's death should have gotten a bit more play in the aftermath of the Ace Chemical explosion. It clearly affected Bruce when he unmasked him, but it doesn't come up when talking to Alfred.
    I was wondering if anybody caught the part about Kate (Batwoman), Beth, and colonel Jacob Kane's pictures on the walls of Philip's office. I'm also a Batwoman fan, so I hope this is explored later on. Also loved the graffiti "BK" was here when Batman first appeared in costume - shout out to Bob Kane of course. This was my favorite issue of Zero Yero by far. I loved how they finally started merging elements from classic Batman tales from all eras into this story.

  6. #81

    Default

    I don't think people are getting the "Joker Mystery."

    Yes, the guy who fell in the vat and was posing as Red Hood One this issue will eventually become the Joker.

    But we don't know who he is at all beyond that. We only know his identity definitively as it exists in this issue. Everything the RH1 does in this issue are the actions of the Joker. But before that? We can't say for sure that anything in prior issues was him, and certainly not the actions of RH1 before Zero Year. He's not Liam Distal, but we know that Liam Distal acted as Red Hood One for at least some period of time. So when did the Joker replace and kill him? And how? Why? That's the mystery here. We still don't really know who Joker is other than a guy who replaced and killed the original RH1, and did so in an oddly particular way.

    I think the most chilling question of all is: does this mean the Joker was ALWAYS the Joker? Or perhaps always just a mastermind serial killer? Perhaps Batman caught him in the middle of a sick game he was playing with the Red Hood gang, and his encounter with the Batman inspired him to take up the Joker persona?

    I think this issue adds even more mystery and uncertainty to the Joker mythos.

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
    I don't think people are getting the "Joker Mystery."

    Yes, the guy who fell in the vat and was posing as Red Hood One this issue will eventually become the Joker.

    But we don't know who he is at all beyond that. We only know his identity definitively as it exists in this issue. Everything the RH1 does in this issue are the actions of the Joker. But before that? We can't say for sure that anything in prior issues was him, and certainly not the actions of RH1 before Zero Year. He's not Liam Distal, but we know that Liam Distal acted as Red Hood One for at least some period of time. So when did the Joker replace and kill him? And how? Why? That's the mystery here. We still don't really know who Joker is other than a guy who replaced and killed the original RH1, and did so in an oddly particular way.

    I think the most chilling question of all is: does this mean the Joker was ALWAYS the Joker? Or perhaps always just a mastermind serial killer? Perhaps Batman caught him in the middle of a sick game he was playing with the Red Hood gang, and his encounter with the Batman inspired him to take up the Joker persona?

    I think this issue adds even more mystery and uncertainty to the Joker mythos.
    Interesting post. I think you're onto something about the Joker. I don't know if I agree that he was always the Joker, but issue #23 mentioned symmetry...Batman and Joker have a symmetrical relationship. Bruce evolved into Batman as a result of the Joker, and maybe the Joker evolved as an opposing force, enjoying the futility of Bruce's actions.

  8. #83
    Senior Member Robotman4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,508

    Default

    Loved the Detective Comics #27 purple gloves!

    Glad Snyder added some ambiguity to the Red Hood One/Joker's identity. sure he was probably Red Hood One the whole time but at least it keeps things mysterious. Plus Joker being Red Hood has always been a part of his origin. As long as we never get an official name and identity.

    I think it was fascinating that he said "it's only just beginning." Like stevecunuck's theory that he was always the Joker and the change was all part of the plan. Smiling as he sank into the chemical vat.
    Last edited by Robotman4; 10-10-2013 at 12:24 AM.

  9. #84
    Bat-God torysac58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Earth-2
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Am I the only one wondering why he has purple gloves? I get that it's a call back too his first appearance, but it makes no sense story wise and just throws me off. He's got this this sweet proto-Batsuit, and then these lame loves that stick out way too much.

  10. #85

    Default

    nvm .
    Last edited by The World; 10-10-2013 at 05:01 AM.

  11. #86
    My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,837

    Default

    Great issue as always. One of the best part is when RH1's pupils expand with "love", and he says "well...hello..." (Or something like that). Just awesome! I also loved the Killing Joke colors, the homage to Tec 27, and of course the handling of who was under the hood. I still see ppl getting mad that RH1 was the Joker, but that was need the point. We KNOW the Red Hood will become the Joker, that part is already cemented into his "origin". It's who was under the mask (and we still know NOTHING about him) that mattered (or in this case doesn't matter). Capullo's art is always amazing, and here is no different. Kudos Team Batman, you once again proved why you're the best Batbook (and for my money, one of the best books period).
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

    messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

  12. #87
    X-Men Member CheeseSticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
    I don't think people are getting the "Joker Mystery."

    Yes, the guy who fell in the vat and was posing as Red Hood One this issue will eventually become the Joker.

    But we don't know who he is at all beyond that. We only know his identity definitively as it exists in this issue. Everything the RH1 does in this issue are the actions of the Joker. But before that? We can't say for sure that anything in prior issues was him, and certainly not the actions of RH1 before Zero Year. He's not Liam Distal, but we know that Liam Distal acted as Red Hood One for at least some period of time. So when did the Joker replace and kill him? And how? Why? That's the mystery here. We still don't really know who Joker is other than a guy who replaced and killed the original RH1, and did so in an oddly particular way.

    I think the most chilling question of all is: does this mean the Joker was ALWAYS the Joker? Or perhaps always just a mastermind serial killer? Perhaps Batman caught him in the middle of a sick game he was playing with the Red Hood gang, and his encounter with the Batman inspired him to take up the Joker persona?

    I think this issue adds even more mystery and uncertainty to the Joker mythos.
    But now we know that he was a common mob leader like Black mask or the Penguin, wich take away the dramatic origin in The Killing Joke. He's now a common gang leader like 4-5 other villains in the Batman gallery. The fact that he was a ''good'' person before becoming the Joker was making him a lot more appealing to me and it was making him unique.
    Magneto, Cyke, Gambit, Psylocke, Green Arrow, Winter Soldier, Sinestro.

    Cyclops was right.
    Green Arrow is the best book on the market

  13. #88
    Sentinel of Liberty Drz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Home!
    Posts
    9,361

    Default

    Yeah i don't get why people are upset about this, sure it is abit of a Batman-movies to have Joker's past involved with criminal activity, but would an average joe truly become so talented terrorists for his 1st appearence? Thats why the Joker in Batman89 was a gangster, and Nolan's Joker was involved with the mobsters as well somehow. It makes sense that he was already involved with crime before he became the Joker.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

  14. #89
    My universe died HardKore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Just think if DC had hard rebooted we could have had two years of Batman year Zero by now.

    Maybe DC should cancel Batman:Dark Knight or Batman and ??? and replace it with Batman Year Zero which eventually become Year One etc.
    Where in the world is Wally West?

  15. #90
    Senior Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by torysac58 View Post
    Am I the only one wondering why he has purple gloves? I get that it's a call back too his first appearance, but it makes no sense story wise and just throws me off. He's got this this sweet proto-Batsuit, and then these lame loves that stick out way too much.
    Why not have purple gloves? It's a superhero costume.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •