Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Maybe Marvel can do something like the much hated dictator Jim Shooter did during his reign: http://www.jimshooter.com/2012/02/sp...vengeance.html

"While I was at Marvel, several times when someone violated our trademarks, I convinced the upstairs bosses to give the infringer, if he or she wasn’t truly evil, a retroactive license for a dollar. Our marks were protected, they weren’t hurt, all was well.

The best known of those instances was when Dave Sim did a parody of Wolverine in an issue of Cerebus—which sold so well that he did it for another three issues. Parody is protected. Once is okay. Four times constitutes infringement. But Sim wasn’t an evil guy. We liked him. We intended to do business with him. So we handled it reasonably, I think."

Quote Originally Posted by marvelite2000 View Post
    Maybe Marvel can do something like the much hated dictator Jim Shooter did during his reign: http://www.jimshooter.com/2012/02/sp...vengeance.html

"While I was at Marvel, several times when someone violated our trademarks, I convinced the upstairs bosses to give the infringer, if he or she wasn’t truly evil, a retroactive license for a dollar. Our marks were protected, they weren’t hurt, all was well.

The best known of those instances was when Dave Sim did a parody of Wolverine in an issue of Cerebus—which sold so well that he did it for another three issues. Parody is protected. Once is okay. Four times constitutes infringement. But Sim wasn’t an evil guy. We liked him. We intended to do business with him. So we handled it reasonably, I think."
    Claremont was also a fan too which also helps.

don't mess with the merc! CrimsonComedian's Avatar

What the hell is Marvel's problem? As long as its not really for profit they should let fans have their fun. wtf... This is the kind of thing that has made me stop following marvel for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyartus View Post
    It doesn't matter that he was a fan and he did good work. The character is copyrighted by Marvel. They can do whatever they want for whatever reason they want. The only repercussion this guy can take is that they knew he was doing it for years, and suddenly they became d*&cks about it, and he can make them look like the big dominating corporation they are. But in the end, he knew he didn't have permission to use the character regardless of whether he's making money off it or not, whether he was doing it for the love of it or not. It doesn't even matter what the artist or writer says, or whether they liked it or not. Marvel can do whatever they want, and like any fan-film-maker, Pecci ran the risk of being shutdown completely at the whim of the copyright owner at any time. What did he expect? That his fandom would somehow make him the exception?

You do a good job, and you're gonna draw attention eventually. Since Pecci is obviously talented, perhaps he should turn his efforts to creating his own original works that use the inspiration he loves but torques it into something entirely his own. I'm betting he could still use a lot of the footage he has, rewrite the story into something different, and present a great work. But no amount of love for a character will allow you to get away with using a big corporation's intellectual content for free when they decide they don't want you to. It doesn't matter if he was making money off it or not. It's not his call.
    stop being a tattletale.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonComedian View Post
    What the hell is Marvel's problem? As long as its not really for profit they should let fans have their fun. wtf... This is the kind of thing that has made me stop following marvel for years.
    You act like only Marvel does this.

Do we really want to see a Joss Whedon sponsored Frank Castle on primetime? Maybe Deadpool could turn out neat and wade will start being funny again, but I don't think they'll do any justice for the Punisher.

That teaser has a cool 70s/early 80s vibe to it. Marvel should hire the guy and put him on the payroll , that teaser is very grindhouse-style and professional looking , doing a punisher movie in that 70s style would be fairly unique.

It's better than that amateur skinny bald headed wannabe bullseye punisher fan-film.