Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Earth 2, #16

"Earth 2" #16 is James Robinson's final issue on this title, so Nicola Scott joins in, bringing along Green Lantern, Steppenwolf and many more for the
    sendoff.

Full review here.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

I'm actually looking forward to the change in writers. Robinson made a pretty interesting world, but there was no real sense of focus and the book kept jumping around to too many characters to keep adequate track of. This isn't World and Peace after all, it's a once a month 20 odd page comic book. But the killing of the World Army (feels a little weird to say this) is a good thing for the book as this will enable Taylor to bring the Justice Society together as that worlds defenders that much faster.

The book needs a solid CORE TEAM of 7-10, there are just WAY too many subplots to keep track of, or to even give adequate time to. Off the top of my head I can't even keep track of the sheer amount of characters that have been introduced after the first big few, it all becomes a blur. So I hope that Taylor can make this book have better focus, but I also am nervous at all this initial emphasis on the new Batman, as I'm just so sick of the oversaturation of this character (and I meant BATman, not Bruce Wayne).
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

BANNED

It's a bit strange, the review gives me the impression the reviewer is making this issue down because it reads as if the book or it author continues next month. Which I think is a bit unfair considering Robinson departed rather abruptly, so probably didn't have a chance to tie everything up before he left..

So, are they going to resolve any of these lose threads, or is every thing just left as is? The ads for the next few issues on DC's web site makes it seem like every thing is just going to go unresolved.
    I am switching to TPB on this book.
    Last edited by net06; 10-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    Batgirl, Superman/Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, Worlds Finest, Batman/Superman, The Movement, Astro City, Kick Ass 3, Miracle Man, Nightcrawler, Red Sonja, The Star Wars, Sandman: Overture, The Maxx

Official Ghostfacer JordanWinchester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    considering Robinson departed rather abruptly, so probably didn't have a chance to tie everything up before he left..
    Yeah, I don't like the sudden departure either. Sure, he built a quick world and developed it very fast. The real problem is that he tried to pack all of the Earth 2 universe into this book and sometimes not focus at all on the Justice Society, which was my reason for wanting to continue with this title. Maybe it will get more focused on the core team and I welcome that. However, I do not want to support a book that would dip in quality (not saying it will).

The only thing is that this is another example of someone just being upset, yet AGAIN, by the things DC has done. I'm guessing some degree of interference from higher ups, I cannot state at all for certain. This is all just guessing. Not really familiar who will be taking over the title but I do intend to give them a chance.

Default Hmmmmm . . .

I have thoroughly enjoyed James Robinson's vision and it's implementation, from the outset. I will certainly be giving Tom Taylor a crack at the whip, however I'm concerned about editorial tinkering, going forward. A succession of 'Batman' covers is not encouraging; DC Editorial, can't trust 'em!

I think the likes of BatGRRRL4ever & JordanWinchester have misunderstood this book. A subsequent JSA book/focus would have come, eventually. But that is not what this title was about. I for one enjoyed that core difference.
    Last edited by Drumanespic; 10-08-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo

I don't think that Robinson would have managed to tie everything up even if had stayed for 5 more years. Each issue had pointless crap that used up pages without moving story/narrative anywhere and introduced new plot elements that were revisited 10 issues later(best case) and left dangling again.
    lots of dots

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drumanespic View Post
    I have thoroughly enjoyed James Robinson's vision and it's implementation, from the outset. I will certainly be giving Tom Taylor a crack at the whip, however I'm concerned about editorial tinkering, going forward. A succession of 'Batman' covers is not encouraging; DC Editorial, can't trust 'em!

I think the likes of BatGRRRL4ever & JordanWinchester have misunderstood this book. A subsequent JSA book/focus would have come, eventually. But that is not what this title was about. I for one enjoyed that core difference.
    Likewise, I've enjoyed the series so far for what it was and look forward to where Taylor takes it from here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JordanWinchester View Post
    Yeah, I don't like the sudden departure either. Sure, he built a quick world and developed it very fast. The real problem is that he tried to pack all of the Earth 2 universe into this book and sometimes not focus at all on the Justice Society, which was my reason for wanting to continue with this title. Maybe it will get more focused on the core team and I welcome that. However, I do not want to support a book that would dip in quality (not saying it will).
    That was one of it's appeals to me, that it was about a world and not just about one person or a small group of people.

Agree with Drumanespic though, I am not really getting a good vibe from all the Batman-featuring covers... but then again I think Batman reemerging on Earth-2 is a mistake of epic proportions.

"The final reveal of Brutaal, the remnants of the World Army and the mission of the Wonders is left undone, waiting for someone else to try and piece together the vision Robinson was so diligently assembling."

Eh? Ummm, Brutaal's reveal seemed pretty much DONE me. He's ____________________. The World Army is DEAD and their mission failed. Don't see them jogging out for the next trip to Dherain anytime soon. I don't think there's any doubt where this book is heading.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    That was one of it's appeals to me, that it was about a world and not just about one person or a small group of people.

Agree with Drumanespic though, I am not really getting a good vibe from all the Batman-featuring covers... but then again I think Batman reemerging on Earth-2 is a mistake of epic proportions.
    Loved it for the same reason. The cast isn't overwhelmingly large and I enjoyed them all.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Odd, Alan Scott was usually portrayed as at least equal to Superman in power. But this version is new to his abilities and is still learning. That scene of him floating over the ground was peculiar.