Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Avengers: Endless Wartime

Warren Ellis provides an engaging and refreshing reminder of the essence of Marvel's premiere superhero team in "Avengers: Endless Wartime,"
    and Mike McKone mostly makes it feel epic, but it's marred by a glossed-over and disappointing conclusion.

Full review here.

Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto

For the most part this was an okay story but the conflict between the characters came off very forced to me. I don't know what Avengers comics Ellis has been reading for the past few years but the Avengers are pretty damn friendly with each other in everything else I read. I certainly never recalled any form of animosity between Thor and Wolverine (last I checked they seem to be drinking buddies).
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

Think I'll skip this one. Doesn't appeal to me.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I enjoyed it as i love Ellis and of course I am a huge Avengers fan. I didn't think it was anything spectacular. but it was a good story and enjoyed the art by Mckone.
    Last edited by TonyStark1012; 10-07-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

I find myself in agreement with the reviewer. A great ride, a couple of tweaks and it would have been a "Classic" ride. Too bad.

Great inter team dialogue. Funny and insightful.
    If the shoe fits: "a crankly old man standing just on the edge of a crowd gathered for a concert and stamping his feet yelling at the crowd to stop having fun, that they don't know what fun is."

Pretty big fan of Ellis's work, typically, but this one was pretty bad...

forced dialogue, weird pacing, and the art really was kind of dry...i think Marvel editorial put too much emphasis on this trying to appeal to the movie Avengers crowd...

I think I liked it more than anyone I've talked to, but then, that's often how my taste in Avengers comics goes.

The characterizations and dynamics were great and smooth, the monsters were scary, the superheroes were heroic and all standing tall and kicking ass.

Some of the issues people have voiced with it, though, particularly the idea the Avengers hate each other or "Thor would never fly off on his own" make me wonder, though, if people were skimming, or just have very different versions of these characters in their head than I do. Of course Thor, normally, wouldn't ditch his teammates, but the whole mess is his fault. He's trying to rush off and finish things first because the horror has its genesis in something younger Thor may not have done right. Wolverine wouldn't think Steve was hypocritical about no-killing? Hell, when Wolverine joined in New Avengers, virtually every reader was pointing out how hypocritical it was. Hawkeye and Cap wouldn't snip at each other? Has Hawkeye not been calling Captain American "Methuselah" since the 1960s?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post
    For the most part this was an okay story but the conflict between the characters came off very forced to me. I don't know what Avengers comics Ellis has been reading for the past few years but the Avengers are pretty damn friendly with each other in everything else I read. I certainly never recalled any form of animosity between Thor and Wolverine (last I checked they seem to be drinking buddies).
    Yeah I agree 100% overall it was a decent read, but the characterization stuff kept it from being a great read for me. Thor and Wolverine actually get along really well...especially in Uncanny Avengers. They both have that "immortal warrior with a sense of nobility" thing going for them...even if Wolverine is a little rougher around the edges. Their interaction in this story was off. I actually thought a lot of what Ellis had Wolverine doing/saying in this was off.
    Faves: Wolverine: Weapon X, the Avengers, X-Force, etc
    My Free Weekly eZine: http://tinyurl.com/ybcnhxe
    My Clothing Line: www.culturesclothing.com
    http://twitter.com/culturesclothes

Actually likes comics Darth Tigris's Avatar

"Hey Warren-E, do you want to write the most cynical Avengers story ever?"

"Do I reek of cigarettes, rare booze and overpriced prossies?"
    Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me are people that think Final Crisis is good.

Quote Originally Posted by pharoahe22 View Post
    Yeah I agree 100% overall it was a decent read, but the characterization stuff kept it from being a great read for me. Thor and Wolverine actually get along really well...especially in Uncanny Avengers. They both have that "immortal warrior with a sense of nobility" thing going for them...even if Wolverine is a little rougher around the edges. Their interaction in this story was off. I actually thought a lot of what Ellis had Wolverine doing/saying in this was off.
    I read those scenes just the other day and God, does Warren Ellis write an awesome Wolverine!
    He kills who he needs to kill and doesnt give a rat's ass if anyone has a problem with that, he doesnt buy any of Cap's bs, he doesnt dress like a Pikachu cosplayer. I was almost in tears!
    I spent the last couple of years wondering where my favorite charater went to and he was on Warren Ellis balls, all along!