Default "The Wolverine": does it annoy you?

One thing I have noticed is that since The Wolverine film came out, many (and I mean MANY) people call him "The Wolverine".
    Now I would understand if it was a character that lacks publicity and no average person knew about like Namor, Thanos or even Deadpool to some extent, but Wolverine? Come on. The old lady next door to me knows who Wolverine is and how to say his name!
    And the kicker is, that the majority of people I have heard call him "The Wolverine"are my around age (early 20's).

Anyone else notices this? lol

Can you imagine people calling characters after their movie titles?
    "Thor The Dark World"?
    "XMen The Last Stand"?
    "Iron Man 3"?

Random Guy walks in Comic store: "Hello, do you sell any Iron Man 3 comics?

Employee: "Yeah we have heaps of Iron Man comics"

Random Guy: NO, I dont want Iron Man, I want Iron Man 3.
    Last edited by Comicmofo; 10-06-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Logan has referred to himself as "The Wolverine." In comics and everything.

Other people in comics have referred to him with the "the" there. True story.

Doesn't really bother me one way, but there is precedent.

as long as they dont come in asking for the comic book based on the movie

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    Logan has referred to himself as "The Wolverine." In comics and everything.

Other people in comics have referred to him with the "the" there. True story.

Doesn't really bother me one way, but there is precedent.
    Yeah sure, but heres the deal.
    These people aren't avid fans and are likely calling him "The Wolverine" because of the film. I doubt that they always called him "The Wolverine" bevause it said it a couple of times in comics.

My problem is that, sure they may not be fans of Marvel, but Wolverine is not an underground or unheard of character by an average person.
    I just find it silly that they call him that when it's always been "Wolverine".

It's not a big of a deal as I may make it come across to be, but it's sort of annoying. lol

Quote Originally Posted by g7x2000 View Post
    as long as they dont come in asking for the comic book based on the movie
    I never got around to watching it. Was it pretty bad? using Origins as a measuring stick, where would you put it?

There are a couple of characters who alternate between being called 'the [NAME]' or just [Name].

The Hulk, The Thing, The Wolverine etc.

Generally its characters who have names that are also titles, and/or generic terms for mundane items.

While Wolverine is often used an alternate name for Logan, it can also be understood as a title, same with the Hulk, the Thing, the Tick, the Punisher, the Ghost Rider, the Shadow, The Rhino, The Vulture, The Blob, The Wasp etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero-X View Post

;)
    Well I guess that settles that then. LOL!
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

The Wolverine movie annoyed me for a great many reasons. The way people refer to him and the way he refers to himself isn't one of them. The point of these movies is to show these characters to a wider audience to a new medium. Some of that audience isn't going to know him very well so it's only natural that there would be some flawed perceptions about him and his history.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

He's been referred to as the Wolverine repeatedly in the comics, usually by himself, so there's nothing wrong with calling him that.

Nah, im not that pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    He's been referred to as the Wolverine repeatedly in the comics, usually by himself, so there's nothing wrong with calling him that.
    But, I doubt that they would have called him that before the movie came out.

I dunno, it just doesnt suit it. Imagine The Batman, The Superman, The Spider-Man, The Cyclops, The whatever lol, some names suit having "The" while others dont, and Wolverine is the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicmofo View Post
    But, I doubt that they would have called him that before the movie came out.

I dunno, it just doesnt suit it. Imagine The Batman, The Superman, The Spider-Man, The Cyclops, The whatever lol, some names suit having "The" while others dont, and Wolverine is the latter.
    A lot of people might not have called Batman "The Dark Knight" before that movie came out, either. Or stuck an "Amazing" before Spider-Man ten years ago.

My cousin went nuts one time, trying to prove to me - and to himself - that Spidey hangs out with Iceman and Firestar in the comics all the time.

It's not hurting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero-X View Post

;)
    Close thread.

Anyway, if that's not enough, we already have "I'm THE Godawm Batman!" so what's wrong with the occasional "The Wolverine!"?

Peace