Default Does the old girl keep her looks?

I've been streaming The Hindenburg this evening, and it holds up really well. I don't just mean for a movie made in 1975, I mean period. It helps to know a little something about history, modern audiences might be put off by not knowing any of the actors, and there might be one or two effects that could use a nip or tuck. Beyond that, you could probably run this in a theater today and have it do okay.

I've sometimes thought that even with its few plot holes Raiders of the Lost Arc stands up pretty well too, give or take one or two effects in the final action scene.

What other older films do you think stand up pretty well?

I love old films, so I'm completely in the dark as to what reads as 'modern.' Since I was a kid, I just figured when I saw something that was different to the media I was used to (whether it was an old film, a foreign film, art film, ect.) was just in a different style. I love black and white. I love stop-motion animation.

I'm in my mid-'20s, so this has nothing to do with nostalgia!

There are great movies from every decade, going back 100 years that hold up fine.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    There are great movies from every decade, going back 100 years that hold up fine.
    I'm interested in finding some procrastination to stream. Anybody got examples?

What's Best For Business Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRMIRACLE View Post
    I'm interested in finding some procrastination to stream. Anybody got examples?
    I myself enjoy watching the old monster movies from the 20s and 30s. Dracula, The Wolfman, Phantom of the Opera, all of those.

Elder Member

The Day The Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet are two great sci-fi classics from the 50s that hold up well.
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    I myself enjoy watching the old monster movies from the 20s and 30s. Dracula, The Wolfman, Phantom of the Opera, all of those.
    James Whale's Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are my favorites of that cycle (I'll be watching most of those this Halloween).

Anyway, some of my favorite movies... lets say real early stuff...

-Buster Keaton's silent films from the '20s are insane. The stunts and gags are jaw-dropping. Avoid his films after that, as the '20s was the only time he had the creative freedom, money and time to really do his best.
    -Marx Brothers comedies. Do you like Looney Tunes? You'll like the Marx Brothers, as they're basically the live action Looney Tunes.
    -The Adventures of Robin Hood: the best adventure movie ever made! Maybe my favorite movie ever.