Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Villains Unite, Drive DC Comics To the Top of September's Sales Chart

Despite the controversies surrounding DC Comics' Villains Month, the event, coupled with "Forever Evil" #1, drove the publisher to a commanding #1 position on September's sales charts.

Full article here.

90s gimmicks are back in force! Congrats! (it's funny I'm reading Supergods and Morrison is describing Marvel in the 90s...Villains take over and 3D covers...it's pretty hilarious)

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Despite the controversies surrounding DC Comics' Villains Month, the event, coupled with "Forever Evil" #1, drove the publisher to a commanding #1 position on September's sales charts.

Full article here.
    It really disappoints me that DC's bad behaviour (and, to my taste, sub-par material) has been rewarded with such a boost in sales....

BANNED

You mean batman villains

The problem with a lot of comics in the 90s (not all) wasn't the gimmick covers, it was the sh*t behind the covers. People conveniently forget that when bashing special covers. The covers were special, the writing and artwork weren't.

And so this latest set of sales figures shows. How many of those DC comics were actually by the regular creative teams? Very few. How many were, as a result, actually any good? Very few.

Stick a shiny cover on a turd and people will lap it up. Same as it ever was. Not the fault of the covers - it's the cynical promotion behind a load of glorified fill-in issues. The allegedly low print runs and hype behind them will have helped. But no doubt the take away from all of this will be special covers are evil rather than DC's editorial decisions.

Not surprising. Outside of rebooting their universe again, DC threw everything else they could into this month: a unifying theme, 3-D covers, and on top of that, they made as many titles as they could into either Batman or Justice League. I mean, didn't Batman and Detective have four titles apiece and Justice League as well? So, DC really shoveled it on. They couldn't go into NYCC after losing to Marvel for an entire year so this was a face-saving move on their part. I'm actually surprised that Marvel managed to hold on to five spots in the top ten. I thought it'd be a near or total DC sweep on that. Anyhow, look for the charts to be back to normal next month, likely with Marvel on top.

Now get ready for the big crunch. DC publishes nearly DOUBLE the amount of monthly titles, and gains a meager 12% lead on Marvel. Also, the pattern remains constant - while they retain 5 of the top 10 comics, 4 are Batman and the other is a highly touted event comic (sales for which have dropped sharply this month thus far). In the process, they have set up a crash scenario by glutting the market with lousy material, inflating an artificial investor interest level, and alienating a percentage of their readership. I already had a couple of customers come in and cancel ALL DC titles in disgust, finally realizing they are only going to be fed one cheap gimmick after another. Please DC, reverse this disastrous course of action. Look beyond the quick cash fix, and see the big picture before the ENTIRE INDUSTRY pays the price!

Good for Bane, Penguin, Joker & Riddler! Bat-Villains shall inherit the Earth!
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

I'm actually gonna play devil's advocate here and defend villain's month. Sure, sure, a bunch of them weren't that good, and I'm partially glad its over, so we can get back to the main stories, but its not as if it was a total waste.

I'd actually say that a few of them were pretty damn fantastic, the ones I got at least. I liked the Riddler, Count Vertigo, Mongul, Relic, Arcane, Ra's al Ghul, Cheetah, and First Born issues. Overall, it was good in that it showcased DC's expansive and diverse roster of villains, both old and new. Even if I didn't like some of what I saw. Darkseid's issue, for example, while not horrendous or even badly written, did sort of go against the aspects of the character I always liked most.

Anyway, that being said, I can't wait to move forward with the main stories. I missed them.
    Pull List: Action Comics, Aquaman, Batman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, GL: New Guardians, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Red Lanterns, Saga, Silver Surfer, Swamp Thing, The Wake, Wonder Woman

BANNED

This is ridiculous.

BANNED

Comics monthlies are month to month business , with that said, the come down will be hard crash for DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Tundis View Post
    Now get ready for the big crunch. DC publishes nearly DOUBLE the amount of monthly titles, and gains a meager 12% lead on Marvel. Also, the pattern remains constant - while they retain 5 of the top 10 comics, 4 are Batman and the other is a highly touted event comic (sales for which have dropped sharply this month thus far). In the process, they have set up a crash scenario by glutting the market with lousy material, inflating an artificial investor interest level, and alienating a percentage of their readership. I already had a couple of customers come in and cancel ALL DC titles in disgust, finally realizing they are only going to be fed one cheap gimmick after another. Please DC, reverse this disastrous course of action. Look beyond the quick cash fix, and see the big picture before the ENTIRE INDUSTRY pays the price!
    A bit alarmist, don't you think? It was just an event, with a few less-than-stellar comics. Whoo, big deal. Marvel churns them out every two months. Villains Month was just a way to tie into the theme of the Justice League being dead and villains "inheriting" the Earth. Anyway, moving on, how many customers DID actually come in and cancel subscriptions, exactly? Two? Three? Give us an exact number because you may just be basing a general conclusion off of a very unrepresentative sample.
    Pull List: Action Comics, Aquaman, Batman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, GL: New Guardians, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Red Lanterns, Saga, Silver Surfer, Swamp Thing, The Wake, Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionCityComics View Post
    90s gimmicks are back in force! Congrats! (it's funny I'm reading Supergods and Morrison is describing Marvel in the 90s...Villains take over and 3D covers...it's pretty hilarious)
    It's never late to 90s come back. next time they can sell only the 3d covers

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I'm just glad to hear that DC did great and comics did better overall this month. That's a good thing. I know at my LCS we saw quite a few people that were new that just came and bought the 3D covers. Also a several started folders so that's another good thing.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Just think how much more money they could have made if all the customers who wanted to buy a 3D cover would have been able too before they were sold out.