Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Fantomex MAX #1

A shaky, uninspired and ill-conceived start for Fantomex in Andrew Hope and Shawn Crystal's "Fantomex MAX" #1 mini-series.

Full review here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    A shaky, uninspired and ill-conceived start for Fantomex in Andrew Hope and Shawn Crystal's "Fantomex MAX" #1 mini-series.

]

So it basically sucks as bad as Deadpool and it's as uninspiring as Wolverine (Max versions)?

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Drat, I forgot this was out this week (LOVE Fantomex). And boo, wow, that sounds bad.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

For what it's worth, I enjoyed it. The art was good, has an old school vibe with plenty of cheesecake imagery & the story was intriguing enough to keep it on my pull list. I listen to Kelly's podcast and find her opinions to be agenda based and contradictory at times, no surprise to see this get panned by her. The comics fun and worth a pick up IMO, not earth shattering but fun.

Hmm, I read it and was entertained. I, too, liked the art and am intrigued about what's going to happen next. There's an interesting interaction going on between Fantomex and EVA. I'm interested in who this unit is that he's "working with." I'm looking forward to the next issue.

I know it's not PC, but I thought this line was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac Shade View Post
    For what it's worth, I enjoyed it. The art was good, has an old school vibe with plenty of cheesecake imagery & the story was intriguing enough to keep it on my pull list. I listen to Kelly's podcast and find her opinions to be agenda based and contradictory at times, no surprise to see this get panned by her. The comics fun and worth a pick up IMO, not earth shattering but fun.
    Yeah she def has an agenda and she is kind of ill informed and has terrible taste in a lot of things, she had a bunch of amateur drawings by some of her friends that looked like a pre- schooler drew them and when people didnt like the art she decided to go and diss Deviant-art for no reason even tho there is some incredibly talented and a lot of pros on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero-X View Post
    I know it's not PC, but I thought this line was funny.

I know it's something you could only get away with in a max book but it was kind of funny and non pc.

I read the book and was suitably impressed so I'm not sure what book the reviewer was reading.

FantomeX Max #1, had an old-school Danger DiaboliK/Agent of SHIELD feel to it that I really enjoyed so it's definitely a book that I will continue to follow for the duration.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    I read the book and was suitably impressed so I'm not sure what book the reviewer was reading.

FantomeX Max #1, had an old-school Danger DiaboliK/Agent of SHIELD feel to it that I really enjoyed so it's definitely a book that I will continue to follow for the duration.
    A bad review from Kelly Thompson means it might actually be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Starclops View Post
    A bad review from Kelly Thompson means it might actually be good.
    It was really good.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    Yeah she def has an agenda and she is kind of ill informed and has terrible taste in a lot of things, she had a bunch of amateur drawings by some of her friends that looked like a pre- schooler drew them and when people didnt like the art she decided to go and diss Deviant-art for no reason even tho there is some incredibly talented and a lot of pros on there.

I know it's something you could only get away with in a max book but it was kind of funny and non pc.
    Talk about re-imagining history.

I love Deviant Art and have never insulted that site - which is chock full of talent and general awesomeness - including pros.

All I did was correct people (like you) who made claims (just like you're doing here again: "bunch of amateur drawings by some of her friends") against the two comics artists that did costume re-imaginings for that post. Some people claimed they were amateurs and I made it clear that they were not JUST fan artists, but also paid comics professionals (Kris Anka and Meredith McClaren). That's not an insult to Deviant Art unless you try really really hard to make it so. Which, clearly, you did.

You don't have to like Anka or McClaren's work, or enjoy the re-designs they did for that post, but they are, by definition, not amateurs or fan artists (again, nothing wrong with being either of those things), but LITERAL paid comics professionals.

BANNED

anything that doesn't pander to Kelly Thompson ideals seem to get bad reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmon View Post
    anything that doesn't pander to Kelly Thompson ideals seem to get bad reviews.
    What ideals?

Seems like a decent, fair review to me. I know there's jokes, T&A, Fantomex and EVA, and screentone. I know it didn't work for the reviewer.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I really enjoyed the first issue. I read an interview with the writer and it was exactly what he said it was going to be. Just a really fun read. Glad to see my boy Fantomex get to shine on his own.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by 1979semifinalist View Post
    Talk about re-imagining history.

I love Deviant Art and have never insulted that site - which is chock full of talent and general awesomeness - including pros.

All I did was correct people (like you) who made claims (just like you're doing here again: "bunch of amateur drawings by some of her friends") against the two comics artists that did costume re-imaginings for that post. Some people claimed they were amateurs and I made it clear that they were not JUST fan artists, but also paid comics professionals (Kris Anka and Meredith McClaren). That's not an insult to Deviant Art unless you try really really hard to make it so. Which, clearly, you did.

You don't have to like Anka or McClaren's work, or enjoy the re-designs they did for that post, but they are, by definition, not amateurs or fan artists (again, nothing wrong with being either of those things), but LITERAL paid comics professionals.
    There are paid comics professionals on Deviant art too.