Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

American Horror Story S1E1 - Yeah, I've never seen the show, despite people telling my how cool it was. There's a lot going on here, and I don't know if everything ties together/gets resolved. But I liked it enough to keep going.

The Iron Rose - This was my first Jean Rollin movie, and still my favorite. Yes, it's self-consciously arty to the point of pretention. But it's atmospheric, beautifully shot, creepy and effective. The ending is powerful, and Francoise Pascal is wonderful.

That's 6.
    HAIL HYDROX!

If you're so smart, why aren't you naked?

BANNED

Day 9: Inferno (1980)

Inferno is the sequel to Dario Argento's Suspiria, and is about a poet named Rose who finds an evil book called The Three Mothers and suspects she is living in one of the dwellings depicted within. She sends a letter to her brother Mark to get him to come visit her, and soon after that all hell breaks loose as Mark tries to figure out what is going on.

I know the plot setup I just gave sounded pretty stupid but I can't really go into detail without spoiling anything, as it's a pretty complex story. I enjoyed this one. It had some classic scares, and while some of the effects were horrible (rubber dead people!), others such as the set pieces and giant flames were decent. The soundtrack is excellent and the ending is damn near epic, with a speech that rivals the "His name is Jason" speech from Friday the 13th. Not bad.

October 1. The Monster Squad
    October 2. Event Horizon
    October 3. The Prophecy
    October 4. The Prophecy II
    October 5. The Bleeding.
    October 6. Prometheus. 2: Chernobyl Diaries.
    October 7. Dark Wolf
    October 8. The Lost Boys: The Thirst
    October 9. The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthuhlu
    October 10. Videodrome
    October 11. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. 2: Gravity.

Quite funny, as a group of college kids mistakenly thing a couple of hillbillies they encounter in the woods are psycho killers. Grisly death and hilarity ensue.

Suspenseful, dramatic, and breath-takingly gorgeous. Guaranteed a bunch of Oscar nods. The 3D is superb. If you're wondering if ti fits the season, let me say that this movie will do for space what Jaws did for the ocean. :)

(Though I will quibble that with all that detail and incredible FX, couldn't they have figured a way to make Bullock's hair float?)
    Last edited by Jared; 10-12-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

1. Wolfen (1981)
    2. The Beast Within (1982)
    3. Sleepaway Camp (1983)
    4. C.H.U.D (1984)
    5. Day of the Dead (1985)
    6. April Fool's Day (1986)
    7. The Hidden (1987)
    8. Pumpkinhead(1988)

A man conjures up a gigantic vengeance demon called Pumpkinhead to destroy the teenagers who accidentally killed his son.

1. Wolfen (1981)
    2. The Beast Within (1982)
    3. Sleepaway Camp (1983)
    4. C.H.U.D (1984)
    5. Day of the Dead (1985)
    6. April Fool's Day (1986)
    7. The Hidden (1987)
    8. Pumpkinhead(1988)
    9. Puppet Master (1989)

Neil Gallagher found the secret to Toulon's puppets who come to life and then killed himself. Alex and his psychic friends come to investigate and are stalked by Toulon's puppets who have a variety of strange traits including a drill for a head and the ability to spit up leeches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

Suspenseful, dramatic, and breath-takingly gorgeous. Guaranteed a bunch of Oscar nods. The 3D is superb. If you're wondering if ti fits the season, let me say that this movie will do for space what Jaws did for the ocean. :)

(Though I will quibble that with all that detail and incredible FX, couldn't they have figured a way to make Bullock's hair float?)
    That's why I put it on my list. You don't need gore to be scary as hell.

Day 10: Pans Labyrinth

Nothing beats a Dark Fairytale... nothing. Love them to death.

Day 1: Sleepy Hollow
    Day 2: Black Sunday
    Day 3: Stakeland
    Day 4: The Raven 1960's
    Day 5: Gravity
    Day 6: Legend of Smurfy Hollow
    Day 7: Kill baby kill
    Day 8: Burn With Burn
    Day 9: Black Sabbath (Film)
    Day 10: Pans labyrinth
    My Armor will Protect me from the brunt of your attacks. But who will protect your mind from mine.
    - (Psylocke)
    My deviantly deviant deviations http://tazirai.deviantart.com/

Day 11: The Thing 1950's, and The thing (80's) updated, and the Thing (2011)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThingPoster.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	120728

Name:	Thingprequelfairuse.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	120729

Me and some mates did all three of these yesterday. Watching all three together actually made the 2011 version that much better.

My Armor will Protect me from the brunt of your attacks. But who will protect your mind from mine.
    - (Psylocke)

Day 12: Suspiria and Drag me to hell.

Ballet + Witchcraft? What can POSSIBLY go wrong?

Drag me to hell.

This is one of those films I felt REALLY bad for the protagonist..

Name:	Dragmetohell.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	120730

- (Psylocke)

Quote Originally Posted by Jodoc View Post
    American Horror Story S1E1 - Yeah, I've never seen the show, despite people telling my how cool it was. There's a lot going on here, and I don't know if everything ties together/gets resolved. But I liked it enough to keep going.
    Season 2 Asylum is pretty good but as a warning it does not continue the story from season 1. Instead each season is their own unique narrative where some of the actors are used as different characters. Season 3 Coven just premiered and it was pretty good.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

October 1. The Monster Squad
    October 2. Event Horizon
    October 3. The Prophecy
    October 4. The Prophecy II
    October 5. The Bleeding.
    October 6. Prometheus. 2: Chernobyl Diaries.
    October 7. Dark Wolf
    October 8. The Lost Boys: The Thirst
    October 9. The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthuhlu
    October 10. Videodrome
    October 11. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. 2: Gravity.
    October 12. The Prophecy 3: The Ascent.

Danayel thought he was was just another cynical God-hating street preacher with a hot girlfriend, until he gets shot by a zealot and discovers he's a nephilim. Actually, I'm not sure when he quite discovers that, the way the movie is written/edited, several characters who do know or have been told what's going on never seem to quite get around to explaining it to him. Regardless, he's driven by visions of Pyriel, the Angel of Genocide, and hunted by a rebel angel. Walken has fun with Gabriel's diminished capacity in this one. And there are some cool ties back to the first movie, though they're not explored as fully as they could be, especially the return of the (now not so) little Indian girl who was possessed in part 1. Sadly, Danayel himself comes across as more confused dbag than a savior to root for. There is more Highlander-esque action in this one than the previous entries.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

BANNED

I've never seen any of the Amityville movies, so watched a few this weekend.

Day 10: The Amityville Horror (1979)

This is a decent haunted house movie but it hasn't aged well. I was forbidden to watch this as a kid, so it's kind of funny to catch what the parents considered "scary". Watch out for the chocolate syrup dripping down the walls!

Day 11: Amityville II: The Possession (1982)

This is actually the prequel to The Amityville Horror, but only a small percentage of it is based on the true story. I enjoyed this one a bit more than the first, only because it's hilarious when someone fails at trying to act possessed. Also, there is an exorcism in the movie that tries sooo hard to one up The Exorcist.

I haven't hit one a day, but this October I've watched:

Halloween - Fantastic as ever.
    Halloween II - I'd actually never seen this. Would be pretty great if it was about an hour shorter; Laurie just doesn't have enough to do. It'd be interesting to see these first 2 films edited together as one with an intermission in the middle.
    Scream - An all-time favorite.
    Scream 2 - Almost as good as the original.
    Jeepers Creepers - Loved it. Very scary. First time watching it.
    The Lost Boys - Incredible cinematography. It wanders a bit, but I still really like this one. Feldman is so ridiculous; I love it.
    Fright Night (Remake) - I'm a big fan of this one. Farrell and Tennant are clearly having a blast. I love the ever-ramping tension/action of the screenplay; it's just really well structured. A ton of fun.
    Picture Maker // website // tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Jodoc View Post

The Iron Rose - This was my first Jean Rollin movie, and still my favorite. Yes, it's self-consciously arty to the point of pretention. But it's atmospheric, beautifully shot, creepy and effective. The ending is powerful, and Francoise Pascal is wonderful.

That's 6.
    Prepare to be disappointed with American Horror Story.

Quote Originally Posted by jessecuster3 View Post
    Oct 8: The Girl Next Door

This is the story of a girl forced to live with her aunt, and the horrible torture that she is put through by her aunt and cousins. Its is brutally disturbing and horrifying, yet told very well and kept you watching.

It is the real life story of Sylvia Likens.
    If you haven't seen it, there's another Jack Ketchum movie along the same lines as that movie called The Woman.

Black Sunday and Zombie Lake brings me to 8.

Mario Bava, Barbara Steele, and some beautiful visuals transcend the, let's face it, familiar plot.

Jean Rollin brought in at the last minute to finish a movie over the weekend. Something about Nazi zombies, including one who wasn't all that bad a Nazi trying to reconnect with his daughter. And a van full of girls goes skinny-dipping. Sadly, that's the most memorable scene in the movie.
    HAIL HYDROX!

If you're so smart, why aren't you naked?