Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Rat Queens, #1

Hannah, Betty, Dee and Violet find themselves on the wrong side of an assassin's blade and the law in Kurtis J. Wiebe and Roc Upchurch's "Rat Queens" #1.

Full review here.

It was a very good issue. Any fantasy comic that gets me wanting to play Dungeons and Dragons again is doing something right.

Walked from your door to you closet as you read this

Extremely meh. Too much telling, not enough showing, lame jokes, and no attempt to actually make it feel like a fantasy world really turned me off. The art really isn't helping either, very boring with poor perspective.

Smile

Extremely awesome. I loved telling, showing, jokes, and the high fantasy world of the story really turned me on. The art really helps -- very exciting with great perspective.

LOVED it. I'm extremely excited about future issues. I usually wait an arc or so but this is going right on my pull list.
    Current Favorites:
    Saga / Manhattan Projects / East of West / Zero / Hawkeye / Alex + Ada / The Wake

I loved it. I actually laughed out loud several times. Really, really fun issue.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Didn't particularly strike my fancy. I liked the web comics previews but was disappointed with the first issue. Most of the jokes felt like one note throwaway lines I had seen around the gaming table hundreds of times before, and in fact some of them I had heard around the table before, so it felt stale rather than fresh, and stale is never really funny because one of the most important factors in humor is the quality of unexpectedness. Even the jokes I hadn't seen before were telegraphed a mile away and felt tired. The adventure aspect also felt been there done that, so the issue as a whole just fell flat for me and I won't be picking up #2.

I am glad others liked it, as there is definitely room in the market for a book like this, it just do enough for me to commit my sheckels for it when there are so many other books out there I like or want to give a try to see if I like.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Loved it, I laughed out loud a lot. Fun issue, looking forward to #2.

The first issue basically followed how I felt about the previews. I really want to like the title but it's not really doing it for me.

I think the costume designs are FANTASTIC, really well done, and the art in general is really good. The characters are also well realized, with each one having a unique personality and voice.

My problem is that I just don't care for the script and the sense of humor in the title at all. The jokes feel really forced and just tacked-on as opposed to natural. The other two Image comics I read this week, Saga and Sex Criminals, were both humor heavy, but the jokes there feel really natural and organic, like they are part of the whole picture. Here, it's like the jokes are just abruptly inserted into the title to make it feel more edgy or something.

It wasn't bad by any means but I will probably not be back.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Walked from your door to you closet as you read this

Quote Originally Posted by blkson View Post
    Extremely awesome. I loved telling, showing, jokes, and the high fantasy world of the story really turned me on. The art really helps -- very exciting with great perspective.
    Go to bed Kurtis, you're drunk.

Not for me. I agree with El Sombrero - I just don't see the sense of humor here. Reminded me of Gail Simone in a bad way.

I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I'm on board.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    Not for me. I agree with El Sombrero - I just don't see the sense of humor here. Reminded me of Gail Simone in a bad way.
    I wish it reminded me of Gail Simone. Then I could be reading a well scripted, thoughtful, entertaining, and humorous book. As it stands, this was so-so. I thought the set up was good, but the delivery, like the characters, felt pretty pat and one dimensional. I will keep reading to see if it gets better.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

I finally read my copy last night and really enjoyed it. I don't usually go for the fantasy/swords&sorcery genre in comics, but Red Sonja and Rat Queens have got me on board! I really liked the horny hobbit(smidgen) and thought the "cell phone" gag was genius. The set-up was good and the dialogue was funny. Can't wait to read more.
    SUPER CRAZY ANIMAL HAND! is coming... now with MIKE ALLRED cover!

follow me on twitter @janthonyh

I thought it sucked and won't be continuing this one.
    Last edited by Jack00; 10-02-2013 at 06:23 PM.