Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

The almost-lost history of the band Death:

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...ing_death.html

Teaser quote:
    "Three black siblings from inner-city Detroit had kind of, sort of invented punk rock.

Naturally, that came as news to the band."
    --
    Rob Allen

Feel like I mentioned this when they came up earlier, but ...For The Whole World To See is great.

Off-topic, but that Poached ad on that page is really weird.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LEADER DESSLOK View Post
    W
    I don't know how this stupid law got passed without consumers knowing about it!
    How does any law benefiting commercial interests get passed? Ignore that "I'm Just a Bill" (or whatever the title was) from Schoolhouse Rock (ditto). The real answer is graft, corruption, payola & general legislative whorishness.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

There's no I in team and not many in Rock N Roll. Billy Idol and INXS are too well known to notate,I never owned anything from Iron Maiden,Luther Ingram,Janis Ian,Incredible String Band,Icehouse,Indigo Girls,Insane Clown Posse,Chris Isaak,Ian and Sylvia,ice Cube,Ice-T,Donnie Iris or The Inkspots. And The Ivies changed their name to Badfinger early on. But we have:

Impressions-The 60s had great R&B male vocal groups. The Four Tops, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. The Impressions might have placed out-of-the-money in a horse race, but they had a long ,distinguished career. Founded by Jerry Butler and Curtis Mayfield, they're 1st hit,1958s "For Your Precious Love". Butler left and Mayfield guided them the rest of the decade. The group was a bit more
    gospel then their Motown counterparts but still commercial enough to score with "Gypsy Woman/It's Alright/Amen/Keep on Pushing/People Get Ready/We're a Winner and Check Out you're Mind". Mayfield departed for "Superfly" fame and the Impressions slowly drifted out of popularity in the 70s

Incubus-Have the 1999 CD Make Yourself with "Pardon Me/Drive/and Stellar". The CD was fine but, to me, nothing distinguishing to many other bands of it's time. I need to listen to their later recordings

Iron Butterfly-1968's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vita" was the ground-breaking 17 minute psychedelic epic that the band is noted for. Popular enough to break the time constraints previously enforced for radio airplay. Supposedly the title was originally "In A Garden Of Evil" but the band was so stoned during the recording that the words were slurred and the group didn't know how to end the track. It’s the only song you need to know of theirs. The album sold 4 MILLION copies and was on the Top 10 list all year

Isley Brothers-The 60s had great R&B male vocal duos. Sam and Dave,Rightous Bros and placing 3rd would be the Isleys. They were responsible for some of the all-time classics of Rock N Roll notably "Shout", "This Old Heart of Mine" and the original version of ""Twist and Shout". They ended the decade with their biggest 60s hit "It's Your Thing". For a brief time in the mid-60s,Jimi Hendrix was a member of their band. Guitarist Ernie Isley more than held his own, listen to his searing guitar rifts on 1973s "Who's That Lady"

It's A Beautiful Day-With a name like that you know we're talking hippie music late 60s from San Francisco. Featuring a female vocalist and violinist Softer music, good for the mornings, I own the self-titled 1968 album which contains their best known song "White Bird". Legend has it that when promoter Michael Lang was negotiating with Bill Graham over which San Francisco groups would play at Woodstock. They flipped a coin for the last group to be included. Santana won, It's A Beautiful Day lost.

The Isley's Who's That Lady

Last edited by Ish Kabbible; 10-31-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post

Iron Butterfly-1968's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vita" was the ground-breaking 17 minute psychedelic epic that the band is noted for. Popular enough to break the time constraints previously enforced for radio airplay. Supposedly the title was originally "In A Garden Of Evil" but the band was so stoned during the recording that the words were slurred and the group didn't know how to end the track. It’s the only song you need to know of theirs. The album sold 4 MILLION copies and was on the Top 10 list all year
    I'd always heard it was "In the Garden of Eden" not evil, but then I may have misheard. In high school, we had a local late night FM DJ who only played this when he needed a potty break and always announced such when he started the record. He alternated between this and American Pie when he wanted to get away from the mike for awhile.

I used to like to listen to it at that time, now I kind of cringe whenever I hear it. Tastes change.

The other band you mentioned I do like is the Isleys. I remember having a version of Twist and Shout by them (the song immortalized in National Lampoon's Animal House) that you had to flip over half way through the song to get the whole song to play. A friend of mine and I searched forever to find that on 45, and eventually took a trip down to New Haven to a place called Cutler's records that was fairly well known for its selection and variety. Last time I went there was just before I moved out to Ohio when I was taking in a show at Toad's Place (another legendary New Haven musical landmark-I think it was the night I saw Living Colour play there and got to go backstage and meet the band because my friend went to high school with Doug Wimbish's nephew and ran into him at the show). Cutler's had become a pale shadow of its former self with nary a vinyl disc for sale anywhere and pretty scant selection of CDs). Of course this was well before the recent resurgence of vinyl as a sought after limited release collectible format of the past few years. I hope the shop survived to enjoy the resurgence as it was the destination of quite a few high school road trips and holds a lot of fond memories.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I'd always heard it was "In the Garden of Eden" not evil, but then I may have misheard.
    You may be right,I may be crazy,by it will always be In-A Gadda-Da-Vita Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    The almost-lost history of the band Death:

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...ing_death.html

Teaser quote:
    "Three black siblings from inner-city Detroit had kind of, sort of invented punk rock.

Naturally, that came as news to the band."
    Sounds like DEATH was really into LED ZEPPELIN and Hendrix' BAND OF GYPSIES album, which wouldn't have been a bad mix. I wish I could say I haven't heard this story before but it happens quite often in The Arts. Where artists struggle or give up before their audience can be found. Well, at least some of them are still around to see their success.

Sure sounds like Punk to me, minus British accents but the Rock "Historians" might call them "forerunners" of Punk. What do I know, as far as I'm concerned, THE DOORS and THE VELVET UNDERGROUND invented GOTH!
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

I noted at the time I was watching it, about a month ago, that the Death film might be the best music documentary I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by LEADER DESSLOK View Post
    Sure sounds like Punk to me, minus British accents but the Rock "Historians" might call them "forerunners" of Punk. What do I know, as far as I'm concerned, THE DOORS and THE VELVET UNDERGROUND invented GOTH!
    Nothing about their music that I heard was punk per se, but proto-punk ... definitely. I guess I can be placed in the unwashed ranks of "Rock" 'Historians,'" though -- at least the Punk & Offshoots Department -- so my opinions presumably can be completely disregarded.

As for the roots of goth, I don't think your citation of the Doors & the Velvets is particularly unusual, really.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 10-31-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I'd always heard it was "In the Garden of Eden" not evil
    Moi aussi.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    There's no I in team and not many in Rock N Roll. Billy Idol and INXS are too well known to notate,I never owned anything from Iron Maiden,Luther Ingram,Janis Ian,Incredible String Band,Icehouse,Indigo Girls,Insane Clown Posse,Chris Isaak,Ian and Sylvia,ice Cube,Ice-T,Donnie Iris or The Inkspots. And The Ivies changed their name to Badfinger early on. But we have:
    What?

No IQ Zero? No Interview (any band with a song called "Hart Crane in Mexico" is going to grab an English minor's attention, at least in my case)? No It's Immaterial? No I Start Counting? No Insane?

No (from several years earlier) Intruders (of "Cowboys to Girls" & "Love is Like a Baseball Game" semi-fame)?

I'm going to have to go lie down for awhile.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 10-31-2013 at 07:46 AM.

-- Reptisaurus!

To wit:

-- Reptisaurus!

I'd always heard it was "In the Garden of Eden" not evil, but then I may have misheard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4g-wx2Y_wg
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

I got your Garden of Evil right here, buddy --

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B. in the Underworld View Post
    I noted at the time I was watching it, about a month ago, that the Death film might be the best music documentary I've ever seen.

Nothing about their music that I heard was punk per se, but proto-punk ... definitely. I guess I can be placed in the unwashed ranks of "Rock" 'Historians,'" though -- at least the Punk & Offshoots Department -- so my opinions presumably can be completely disregarded.

As for the roots of goth, I don't think your citation of the Doors & the Velvets is particularly unusual, really.
    With Death I was just thinking in terms of their playing their stuff at a fast clip. A lot of straight rock music had become studio heavy, folksy or country fried in the early to mid-70s. Punk restored a lot of the speed and simple rhthms of the 50s but with an angry political bent. Although I think it was Johnny Rotten who said he only became a rock singer because he was hoping to get steady BJs!

As for the Doors ref, that's good to hear. I guess I'm not as much of a "music rube" as I thought I was!
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B. in the Underworld View Post
    What?

No IQ Zero? No Interview (any band with a song called "Hart Crane in Mexico" is going to grab an English minor's attention, at least in my case)? No It's Immaterial? No I Start Counting? No Insane?

No (from several years earlier) Intruders (of "Cowboys to Girls" & "Love is Like a Baseball Game" semi-fame)?

I'm going to have to go lie down for awhile.
    Actually I do have The Intruders "Cowboys to Girls" but on a compilation CD so I didn't bother.The others,hey, I never got that deep
    Totally screwed up with Garden of Evil.I think that title would make a great sobriety test.