Page 44 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Not sure what the other Toad the Wet Sprocket video(s) you posted previously are, Wildfire -- either the thread-search function sucks, or you didn't use "Sprocket" in referring to them, which is what I used. The 4 hits from before today didn't include any videos, though I know you linked to one at least once.

Anyway, I'm listening to "Walk on the Ocean" right now. Pretty sure I heard that back in the day, but it's not anything that would've stuck with me. Again, it's pleasant, which by definition is nice, but ... lord. *yawn* I've encountered more forceful Serutan commerials. I'm reminded of sort of a cross between Matchbox 20 & Hootie & the Blowfish if "Bombastic" hadn't been Darius Rucker's middle name.

Nothing personal, but based on those 2 songs, if those guys lit your fire when you were a kid, Boston must've been so desperately, deadly dull that Montgomery today looks like London during the Battle of Britain in comparison.

For awhile there, I was thinking some younger co-workers of mine at the Little Rock paper were big fans of theirs back in the early '90s, & that they'd played the local pizzeria/microbrewery/punk club, Vino's (where the likes of Green Day & Rancid played before anyone knew who they were; I didn't see those shows, but did see Fugazi there not long after moving back from the New Orleans area in '90), then realized I was thinking of Scruffy the Cat, of whom I also have no distinct memories whatsoever.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 10-13-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Picked up the two Pogues CDs from the library yesterday, going to give them a spin and listen after the Sox game tonight.

-M
    You may be getting to those CDs earlier than you thought. Sox have put just three balls in play in four innings against Scherzer.

>Yikes!<

Still, it's only 1-0.

Isn't every postseason game these days 1-0?
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    I just took a look, I guess they are sold out on Interpunk. There is a copy going on ebay for $5 right now. By the way I had forgotten, the name of the CD is Wake the Dead.
    Been meaning for more than a week now, ever since the CD arrived in the mail, to thank you once more for the heads-up. Great disc, especially the tracks I didn't have on vinyl, most notably the early 45 side (I think it's called) "Johnny's On Top." Great variation on "People Who Died," as the liner notes observe.

In which vein, despite having listened to the track numerous times on (& recorded off of, first on cassette, then on CD-R) vinyl over the years, for some reason not until listening to the disc did I realize that "Ominous" is basically a riff on the Modern Lovers' classic "Roadrunner." Unless I'm completely imagining that, of course.

-- Reptisaurus!

I wouldn't say Toad 'lit me on fire'...I have fond college memories of seeing them in concert, though. The music is pretty standard for the mid-90s... what sets them apart, IMO, is the song writing... they have some really cool lyrics. Mostly, they struck me as someone a country fan might like.
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)

Quote Originally Posted by prince hal View Post
    You may be getting to those CDs earlier than you thought. Sox have put just three balls in play in four innings against Scherzer.

>Yikes!<

Still, it's only 1-0.
    Papi! Papi! Papi!

5-5 currently.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Amazing! I was about to go to bed and give up.. then Pedroia singles to load'em up. I'm thinking, 'if this was a movie, Papi would totally hit a grand slam here on a 3-2 count'. Sadly, he messed it up and cranked the 1st pitch, and it went out so fast the announcers were sorta stunned for a minute.

If they close the deal, between that and the Pats this afternoon, this will definitely go down as one of the more memorable of Boston Sports days!
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire2099 View Post
    Amazing! I was about to go to bed and give up.. then Pedroia singles to load'em up. I'm thinking, 'if this was a movie, Papi would totally hit a grand slam here on a 3-2 count'. Sadly, he messed it up and cranked the 1st pitch, and it went out so fast the announcers were sorta stunned for a minute.

If they close the deal, between that and the Pats this afternoon, this will definitely go down as one of the more memorable of Boston Sports days!
    If only my alma mater could have hung on to upset Clemson yesterday as well, it would have been pure Boston pandemonium.

-M

PS and Salty and Gomes deliver the winner!
    Last edited by MRP; 10-13-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Ok gave the first Pogues CD a listen (Red Roses for Me). It was ok, but not generally the kind of stuff I listen to. What it really reminded me of, was every band I ever heard play at an Irish-American club or Irish pub back in my college days. One of the girls I used to hang with was from a "VERY IRISH" family and whenever I would go visit on break she would take me to the Irish American club or out to an Irish pub for drinks and to check out the bands playing, and they were all very reminiscent of what I heard of the first disc. Not a bad thing, but that's just the way it strikes me. It's the cadence and delivery of the vocals and the instrumentation I think.

I'll probably give it a few more listens and check out the second disc to see if its more of the same, but I don't think it is something that will make it into my normal playlist.

-M
    -Umberto Eco

If only my alma mater could have hung on to upset Clemson yesterday as well, it would have been pure Boston pandemonium.

-M

PS and Salty and Gomes deliver the winner!
    You said it, MRP!

Ortiz adds to his legendary status. Sox shake off the rust of a few days off and the Tiger bullpen reverts to its inflammatory self. Relentless. This team's grit is right up there with the '03 and '04 teams.

Karma: Iglesias's throwing error allowed Gomes to go to second!

Brady adds to his legendary status, too!

Wotta day!

Sorry about the Eagles...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire2099 View Post

The deal is done!

I'll probably give it a few more listens and check out the second disc to see if its more of the same, but I don't think it is something that will make it into my normal playlist.
    Pretty much echoing my sentiments regarding all the Shane stuff, as indicated earlier. I definitely recommend giving Waiting for Herb a try. Here's another track from that one --

-- Reptisaurus!

And another one --

-- Reptisaurus!

Those two tracks are definitely more interesting than the other stuff I heard, especially vocally, and they most definitely give much less of the Irish bar band vibe that I got from the CD. I'll have to keep an eye out for Waiting for Herb to check out the rest.

-M
    -Umberto Eco

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maurice View Post
    Wife's Brother: Ringo's complex tonal counterpoints are obviously evocative of the Baroque era. See how he manages dissonance and chromaticism within a single movement?

Other Kid: Don't be absurd. Dave Clark's repertoire exhibits an artistic complexity through the use of counterpoint, thematic development, and texture that far exceeds anything that Liverpudlian fop can bang out.

Wife's Brother: Does not!

Other Kid: Does so!

Fisticuffs.

Oh, you've visited the music forum, I see.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man