Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Saga, #14

As Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples continue to expand the world, character interactions and scope of their series with "Saga" #14, it's hard to keep from thinking that it's living up to its name more than ever.

Full review here.

Every issue of Saga thus far has been consistently awesome. This issue wasn't the best, but it was definitely up to par. It also filled in a few plot gaps from recent issues while exploring Alana's background a bit more. The more this story unfolds, the more reasons I have to believe that this comic is awesome. And you can't ask much more than that from a series.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

I feel like Saga has been a bit slower-moving since its return (issues 13 and 14). This may have been the weakest issue of the run but it was still excellent; this was like a 4/5 to me instead of the usual Saga 5/5. I liked the introduction of Alana's stepmom and thought the Slave Girl & Lying Cat scene was really touching. Also LOVE The Will & Gwendolyn, they are such an awesome pair. The story just feels like it's moving a lot slower lately, hence the very slight disappointment.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

The more I read Saga the more I love it, and the more I love it the more scared I become. Let's hope Saga doesn't end for a long time, and when it does let's hope it doesn't end the way Vaughan normally ends his stuff (think Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina.)

I also just want to chime in and add that I too was touched by Sophie's page with Lying Cat. That kind of thing only happens when super talented writers collaborate with super talented artists. There's a reason this book is winning all the awards...

If you've been living on another planet and somehow aren't reading this series, you need to close your browser and get to your LCS.
    Current Favorites:
    Saga / Manhattan Projects / East of West / Zero / Hawkeye / Alex + Ada / The Wake

This comic needs a sound track by Nobuo Uematsu.

I don't mind the slowed pace, as long as this series continues for a long time.
    The Bounce, The New Warriors, Saga, Silver Surfer, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man.

such a great series. I love all the colorful characters. The writing and art are hitting on all cylinders and it makes me feel the same way I felt when I watched Star Wars for the first time.
    SUPER CRAZY ANIMAL HAND! is coming... now with MIKE ALLRED cover!

follow me on twitter @janthonyh

Default Scared about the Delay

Saga is obviously one of the best comics out there, I hope they don't get to slow, I would like to have at least 10 comics a year, but we will see what happens. We discuss the most recent issue in the last episode of A Comic Book Look.

TomStewDevine - I say yes to Comics.

A Comic Book Look: Our Weekly TV Show on Comics

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Saga is a monthly dose of the spectacular. Everyone should at least try this book. It is relentlessly amazing.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Lik Dis If U Cry Evertim olbassey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    Saga is a monthly dose of the spectacular. Everyone should at least try this book. It is relentlessly amazing.
    So said you and everyone at my LCS. So I picked up the first two trades. How did it take me this long to get into this book?

[SPOILERS]

I don't know if I've ever been so emotionally invested in a group of characters. When they teased Lying Cats Space-death, I was devastated. Thankfully, I had the TPB, so I didn't have to prematurely mourn the death of a fan-favourite for over a month. I was even pretty beat up about The Stalk's untimely death, and she may be the creepiest comic book character I've ever seen. One thing has me increasingly worried, though: The narrator's been building up the whole first encounter with The Will, on about how he's a monster and that he makes the worst first impressions, which makes me fear that this series may have an expiring shelf-life, spiraling towards some major climactic, series altering, character dropping event. Let's hope not.... Or let's hope so, if it leads to continued good reads.
    Pull List:
    DC: Suicide Squad
    Marvel: Indestructible Hulk, X-Men, Uncanny X-Men
    Valiant: X-O Manowar
    Image: Saga, Walking Dead TPBs

On the panel with the slave girl describing herself and Lying Cat at the end says, "Lying." Was Lying Cat lying or was he saying the girl actually never did those things? (as in she was rescued before that)
    Pull List: Saga, East of West, Aphrodite

Quote Originally Posted by ishikabe View Post
    On the panel with the slave girl describing herself and Lying Cat at the end says, "Lying." Was Lying Cat lying or was he saying the girl actually never did those things? (as in she was rescued before that)
    Not lying exactly, but inadvertently not telling the truth with the words "I am all dirty on the inside." That seems to be the case because Sophie hugged Lying Cat.

Saga is great, but man why the fuck did they tease us with Alana, Marko et al hiding under the writer's house when Prince Robot IV shows up when they were just gonna spend the next 2 issues filling shit in?? I feel like my opinion of these last 2 issues have suffered because I'm like, OK all this shit is going on blah blah but WHAT IS GONNA HAPPEN WITH THAT CLIFFHANGER???

And I mean, this is coming from someone who read the first 2 trades in September so I didn't have to wait all the time in between issue #12 and #13 already. Imagine everyone who read it in real time, they see that cliffhanger happen in what May of this year? And still not resolved nearly 6 months later...that's cruel!

Quote Originally Posted by rjr017 View Post
    Saga is great, but man why the fuck did they tease us with Alana, Marko et al hiding under the writer's house when Prince Robot IV shows up when they were just gonna spend the next 2 issues filling shit in?? I feel like my opinion of these last 2 issues have suffered because I'm like, OK all this shit is going on blah blah but WHAT IS GONNA HAPPEN WITH THAT CLIFFHANGER???

And I mean, this is coming from someone who read the first 2 trades in September so I didn't have to wait all the time in between issue #12 and #13 already. Imagine everyone who read it in real time, they see that cliffhanger happen in what May of this year? And still not resolved nearly 6 months later...that's cruel!
    Try reading East of West also. But there is only so much you can tell in a single comic.
    Pull List: Saga, East of West, Aphrodite