Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: What Did You Think of The FIrst Episode of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."?

What Did You Think of The FIrst Episode of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."?

After months of anticipation, interviews and teasers, "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." finally debuted on ABC last night. Now, CBR wants to know how you rate the pilot on a scale from 1-5.

Vote on the poll here.

Giving it a 2 seemed a little too harsh, so I rounded up to 3. But the truth lies somewhere between those two numbers. It was underwhelming.

I can only attribute the 4s and 5s to the people who kept Heroes on the air for 4 years. Demand more from your genre television.
    I believe all that needs to be said has been. So here’s my two cents.”
    -- ScottMC, inadvertently summing up the Internet.

Plenty of room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    Giving it a 2 seemed a little too harsh, so I rounded up to 3. But the truth lies somewhere between those two numbers. It was underwhelming.

I can only attribute the 4s and 5s to the people who kept Heroes on the air for 4 years. Demand more from your genre television.
    I agree with this pretty much exactly, though I rounded down because I expected more based on the people involved. I'll give the show a couple more episodes before I pass a final judgment, but boy was this disappointing.

It's interesting and telling that the first people to comment on the poll are the people who are disappointed... but I'm among you. I gave the episode a three because it wasn't all that great. However, I think it's also important to say that (deep breath) IT'S A PILOT. Pilots almost always suck. Even when they get you hooked right away, they usually suck in retrospect. The only pilot episode I can think of for anything that really holds up well for me is the first episode for Mad Men.

Clark Gregg owns Coulson as usual. He's going to become my favorite TV hero because he's not so hero-ey. I think he might be a little too Jossed (Whedoned?) but they'll get the balance right between awkwardness and confidence. The other characters will evolve too and will get better (or stranger.) I'm glad that Mike Peterson wasn't Luke Cage because he obviously was NOT Luke Cage, but I'm curious if he'll show up again anyway. I'm also crossing my fingers for Cobie Smulders to join the show once The Barney Show* is over. There are all sorts of things to figure out with this show. There are all sorts of 084s to come across.

Long story short: These things take time! Be patient and enjoy your free TV. If you don't like the show, there's a Thor movie coming and Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America 2 and it's a good time to be a Marvel fan. It's a good time to be a geek!

*AKA How I Met Your Mother. It had a lousy pilot episode too.

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

I gave it 3 stars. I might have given it 3.5 stars if it had been an option.

I thought it was a decent episode, but it felt a bit lacking. Maybe it's my own fault for expecting too much, but given the creative team involved, I don't think my expectations were too ridiculous. However, I try to never judge a show too harshly by its pilot episode; they're not always an accurate indication of the quality of the show going forward. As such, I'm more than willing to give it a few more episodes to win me over.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

I gave it four stars. With superhero shows, I'm sometimes so excited just to see one on the air that I raise my expectations TOO high so this time I went in reminding myself 1)It's a pilot. 2) They have foundation building yet to do 3) Some of the characters are going to need fleshing out because one show just isn't enough.

I had fun watching it, and I see a lot of promise. It wasn't GREAT, but I still think it was really quite good
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

I gave it a 4. It was a pilot episode but I think it will get better as the series goes on. It would have serve better to do a two hour pilot to help flesh a few of the characters out rather than one hour and it seeming slightly rushed. But it was a good watch and my Tuesdays are booked now.

Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto

Gave it a 3. Pilots are usually a little underwhelming compared to later episodes though, I'm expecting better. Still a lot better than Arrow at least.
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

What's Best For Business Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

I gave it a four, but it was a more of a three and a half. It's the pilot episode, so it's naturally not going to be as good as the episodes down the line. If I'm not mistaken, this is the only episode that Joss will be writing or directing, right?

With all the quality programming on television nowadays (which honestly eclipses cinema at this point) I really can't see it being anything but a waste of time to watch this again. At best it was mediocre.

I give it a three while not mind blowing. It sets up everything we need to know about the show arc and characters and leaves us wanting to see more. all in all solid first outing
    Cyclops ad portas

It was average.
    At this point in TV history pilots should really try new stuff instead of just plopping out the generic opener.
    I think i just talked myself down to a two but I already voted.
    Outside of a few interesting bits that will be explored later on, the rest of the episode was by the numbers.
    I bet you could actually not watch this episode and not miss anything important if you come in later on.

I voted 5 I love it .I can't wait to see more of it .To see what the characters do next in marvel universe .
    In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light

I gave it a 3, but I should have given it a 2...

The thing is, as far as the pilot went, it felt rushed and forced. The dialogue didn't flow naturally from the characters, it ended up with actors reciting their lines rather than making their characters speak. It doesn't really help that the main cast isn't all that strong and rounded out.

Coulson isn't as funny here as he was in the various movies, as a leading man he just can't carry it, he's a bit too empathic, when we know him as the stick-in-the-mud from the movies. Coulson is at his best when he's on the sidelines, the outsider looking in, the stereotypical agent with a lack of faith in all this new and weird stuff. In the pilot he was in charge and on top of everything, which just isn't what made his character fun in the first place. Coulson was cool because he was just an average guy surrounded by gods and monsters, hopelessly outmatched, but when push came to shove he stepped to the plate and tried his best.

The rest of the cast is bland cookie-cutter characters that get shuffled from point A to point B, a bit forgettable, actually they're so bland and uninspired that I couldn't remember their names. Hacker Girl is too ascended fangirl to really enjoy. She's her one woman movement that makes her a force to be reckoned with, but she gets brought in incredibly fast and her operation dismantled within a minute. Sure, Rising Dawn as a counter movement or agency to SHIELD is a bit of a cliché in itself, but reducing it to just one woman in a van who is just really good with computers... feels like a cliché in and of itself.

Spyboy is Bryce Larkin from Chuck... he even looks like Bryce. He's closer to Coulson from the movies than the actual agent Coulson was in this pilot... except without the charm. I've seen this guy before, in every show or movie that features a dude who is a really cool and competent spy.

Joy Luck Universe makes her appearance, and it's as yet another bland character. Reluctant yet kick-ass, retired from field work, pulled back into the fold and proves herself to be really really tough by outshining Spyboy when she needs to outshine Spyboy.

Fitz and Simmons, the only two characters I remember by name, funny... but again, it feels like I've seen these two guys before. At least they've got chemistry... more than I can say for the rest of the cast...

So the basic plot is Angry Black Man involved in shady business (tumblr should be screaming about racism right now) exposes the tip of a big conspiracy by revealing himself.

The thing that gets me to tune back in next week is the background of the show, how they incorporate the fall out from the movies into the larger world. I'm not sticking around for the bland characters, not for the riveting main plot of an episode, but because of the stuff in the background and the hope that the actors will grow into their roles and make them more distinct.
    I went and made a webcomic...
    Saturn Sally