Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Gordon-Focused 'Gotham' Series Headed to Fox

"Gotham," a drama series based on the early police career of DC Comics' long-running supporting player James Gordon and set before the character met Batman, has received a series commitment from Fox.

Full article here.

...........meh

A series about james gordon without the bat set in the dc universe ? What would be the objective of the show ?!?

Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar

Interesting endeavor. Odd that Fox has this and not CW. It reminds me of Marvel Studios having Avengers and Fox having X-Men. I wonder if there's still a possibility for Arrow (and possibly Flash) to cross into Gotham. I guess it's irrelevant since this is about James Gordon and Gotham before Batman.
    “I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all.“ -Grant Morrison

Yeah, I have to admit, I don't see the point of this. Especially if they plan to start using Bat-villains as well. I mean, I guess you could have the Red Hood running around... (which could be interesting...) How long before Barbara's running around fighting crime, but using some other lame codename since she can't be a bat

But then of course it raises the question: will/can this exist in the "Arrow" universe? Technically, Ollie isn't Green Arrow yet, but you don't want to end up with another Smallville where it seemed like every other hero suited up long before Clark put in the tights.

Dc couldn't come off more second rate if they were actively trying.
    Though, i guess they are actively trying.

This news I'd this biggest shock of the weejzdi
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Depends on how old you're making Gordon, and how far back it goes. Just assuming, S1 finale ends in a theater at Crime Alley...
    The Punisher: I’m going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pants™ Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and you’ll die screaming! And I’ll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Elder Member

If the show is set in the early days of Gordon's career, wouldn't that mean it takes place before Batman even existed? If so, then that means that there were supervillains in Gotham prior to Batman showing up, which is a pretty major shift in the status quo of his backstory, a big part of which is that his arrival acted as sort of a spark that set off the explosion of costumed nutjobs in Gotham, like an escalating arms race. Although I guess a case could be made that having Bruce dress up like a bat in response to an already existing threat of custumed whackos makes Batman seem less unstable himself. I'm just not sure I like that idea.
    Last edited by kalorama; 09-24-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

Maybe it will be similar in tone to Gotham Central. Gotham is a gritty crime ridden place. A dirty crime drama set in DC's most dangerous city. By villains, it could use someone like Black Mask or other less fantastical Gotham crime lords. Even the Court of Owls. It could also mean villains as they were pre-arrival of the Batman. Dangerous criminals before they became super criminals. At its core though, a cop show tackling dangerous threats in a city so dangerous that a millionaire and his wife are gunned down in front of their young son.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    A series about james gordon without the bat set in the dc universe ? What would be the objective of the show ?!?
    Yeah. A show that replicates the storylines of Gotham Central and the Gordon parts of Batman Year One. Clearly no one else would ever want to see THAT explored further on a weekly TV show?

Oh wait.

I swear if you handed some fanboys a solid gold Action #1, they'd whine it wasn't a gold FF#1. No appreciation or imagination.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne View Post
    Interesting endeavor. Odd that Fox has this and not CW. It reminds me of Marvel Studios having Avengers and Fox having X-Men. I wonder if there's still a possibility for Arrow (and possibly Flash) to cross into Gotham. I guess it's irrelevant since this is about James Gordon and Gotham before Batman.
    CW could not afford to stay in the game. There was a bidding war between several networks over this. CW shows top out at a 1.5 ratings point. That's cancelation level for everyone else but NBC.

I imagine it will be like a csi show but every month they mention batman.

just like gotham central?? oh boy... I am in!

And poor Wonder Woman is still left in the cold. Still, this is an interesting idea, and it would be nice seeing Renee Montoya and Maggie Sawyer around, and especially if they can adapt from Gotham Central.