View Poll Results: What should I read?

Voters
41. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Justice League

6 14.63%
  • Batman

15 36.59%
  • Batman: The Dark Knight

0 0%
  • Superman

0 0%
  • Superman & Batman

0 0%
  • Green Lantern

2 4.88%
  • Green Lantern Corps

2 4.88%
  • Sinestro Corps

0 0%
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians

0 0%
  • Action Comics

2 4.88%
  • Detective Comics

1 2.44%
  • All of them

4 9.76%
  • DC New 52 sucks, None of them

1 2.44%
  • Go and read Marvel instead

4 9.76%
  • Go and continue reading Image instead

4 9.76%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Thinking of reading New 52 Justice League

I'm a big IMAGE comics fan (mainly the Extreme studios stuff). I am also a fan of the Marvel & DC Animated shows/films and the live action films.

I was thinking of checking out the new 52 Justice League series. I have not read any DC or Marvel comics.

Just wondering what everyone here thought of the new 52 JL.

It's pretty much the eptiome of mediocre superhero crap. Not unreadable by any means, but if you do decide to read it, expect a lot of posts giving you a dollar because you need to buy some taste.

It gets better when Reis starts, immediately after the Graves arc. But I'd recommend starting with the Graves arc, but miss the Origins one. That was pointless. The rest has been good popcorn super heroics, though.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

it's been a good series. Not great but good. I think Johns has been trying to do too much and maybe it's missing alot of little things that might make it a fantastic comic book. I might be wrong and maybe i missed it but I don't think we really know a whole lot about cyborg in the new 52. I mean he's a founding member and he has had almost know character build up.

the book is great cause it has all the big guns that people want to see but they have to play with it so they don't step on the toes of the individual hero's creative team...maybe it's a catch 22.

Yeah, Origins was not very good, Graves was ok, but Throne of Atlantis was awesome.

It started crap and the managed to claw its way up to being mediocre. Once Reis jumps on the art is looks pretty as all hell though.

I'd recommend picking the characters your interested in and checking out their solo titles, all of which are much better than Justice League.

Oh you guys aren't any fun at all! The Origins arc wasn't great (what with Jim Lee's terrible art or lack of it rather) and cliched writing but it was still a decent introduction to the DCnU and how certain things changed. Heck, I'd honestly recommend reading it only because of the really funny GL and Batman dynamic. Plus Aquafresh cracked me up

Quote Originally Posted by junir View Post
    Oh you guys aren't any fun at all! The Origins arc wasn't great (what with Jim Lee's terrible art or lack of it rather) and cliched writing but it was still a decent introduction to the DCnU and how certain things changed. Heck, I'd honestly recommend reading it only because of the really funny GL and Batman dynamic. Plus Aquafresh cracked me up
    We must have very different concepts of what a fun dynamic is, the way Batman and GL acted during that arc was but one of the many reasons why I dropped the book back then.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Virginia, United States Of 'Merica, bitches!!!

I would still get it from the beginning. Yes "Origins" was padded and underwhelming, but did a good job introducing all the big players in the DCnU. However, I agree it has gotten better as it has gone on. TRINITY WAR was surprisingly good.

I also agree, Ivan Reis>Jim Lee.

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It's pretty much the eptiome of mediocre superhero crap. Not unreadable by any means, but if you do decide to read it, expect a lot of posts giving you a dollar because you need to buy some taste.
    Now that's a quote!

The Jim Lee and Tony Daniel issues are terrible with awful, awful art and cringe worthy dialogue, the rest ranges from okay to pretty good. Throne of Atlantis is probably the least offensive event DC has published since Final Crisis.

The SHAZAM! backups were so good, I really wouldn't care if Superman died tomorrow and Billy Batson took his spot as top dog.
    Desaad: Guess they found out [Mr. Mastermind] was Holmes?

ABH-1979: Really? I don't think so. I actually liked Holmes...

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    We must have very different concepts of what a fun dynamic is, the way Batman and GL acted during that arc was but one of the many reasons why I dropped the book back then.
    What you were expecting from a first team of people who basically hate each other and those interactions are what contributed to some of the humour!! Too bad you dropped JL quite early. If you get a chance to read the trades cheap or from a friend, do so. Nothing earth shattering but it is a solid read.

Quote Originally Posted by junir View Post
    What you were expecting from a first team of people who basically hate each other and those interactions are what contributed to some of the humour!! Too bad you dropped JL quite early.
    Speaking for myself, I can't recally a single instance of feeling hate for someone I just met; even less so with folks who are in the same walk of life as I am.

Why would they hate each other if they just met?

Finding someone annoying and making a crack about it is one thing, beign a d!ck for no good reason is another.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Speaking for myself, I can't recally a single instance of feeling hate for someone I just met; even less so with folks who are in the same walk of life as I am.

Why would they hate each other if they just met?

Finding someone annoying and making a crack about it is one thing, beign a d!ck for no good reason is another.
    I agree with that but I think it just works better in the context of telling a story in any medium. Starting off as hating each other but turning out to be good buddies sort of thing (like in the Star Trek reboot). I was actually thinking about why they hated each other when the first met and I think the simple reason was GL embodying light and Batman the dark. Different ideologies and all... but anyway, this fighting before joining together for the greater good is being overused now though.

I'd only read 13-the end of Throne of Atlantis, which all seemed inoffensive - good to me, but nothing special. It was only recently I went back and read Origins, which I assumed would be basic but solid fun (I know it's a big seller in trade) and it was so...blah. Overlong and badly done.

To my mind the best JLA origin tale is still JLA: Year One. Amazing, amazing.
    Pull list: X-Men, FF, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Marvel Knights: Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Batman, Earth 2, Superman/Wonder Woman, Saga

Speaking as someone who didn't know too much information when I started reading DC comics, I've enjoyed the Justice League since issue 1. I thought the storyline was fun and gave me a bit of information that I didn't have on team dynamics and such.
    I know a lot of people would disagree but for someone who doesn't or might not have a full knowledge about the Justice League it's a fun read.
    Throne of Atlantis was an amazing story arc. I loved it and felt it had a good intertwining with Aquaman.

I've also been a fan of the other Justice League books (Dark and America). I recommend them also.