Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Default Can Birds Of Prey be saved if they change focus and become DC's answer to Planetary?

Let's face it, we all know BOP is currently in a death spiral. Heck, it's been that way since the New 52 started. The very fuzzy focus of Black Canary in charge through cases she gets through word of mouth contacts and a few well placed hacks to go after ill defined terrorists just hasn't been working. But the Birds when done right has always been a well oiled team:

My suggestion would be to change the books focus a fair amount, and instead of going after terrorists and terrorist organizations (the majority of villains whom have been pretty lame throughout the run to date), the Birds Of Prey instead investigate the strange and weird in the DCU, very much like Planetary used to do in Wildstorm comics:

The Birds would be the one's to find a farm town where Starro has taken over the farmers and their dairy cows and is having them produce hypnotic milk, or deal with ghosts of Arkham Asylum haunting parts of Gotham, or find evidence of an alien invasion on a children's program, etc.

Do people think that this change of focus has legs, and could maybe turn this book around? I think also it would be good to have a book whose situations could at times lend a bit more fun to the DCU again.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

This series of Birds Of Prey can't be saved. Best to just cancel it, then try again and relaunch it later. Hopefully with an actual coherent direction and no god damn dudes.

Junior Member Yellow Lantern 15's Avatar

I think Birds of Prey may be down and out, but I would like a new focus. Though with a few suggestions. Put Starling and Ivy back on the team. Play up the friendship aspect of the members and have them bond alittle. No males unless they guest star. Finally, don't make the baddies all part of spy agencies.

Planetary is a DC comic.

And to do this you'd need to get get people equivalent to Warren Ellis and John Casaday and say death to strict deadlines.

Which will never happen because even if DC could find creators that good willing to work under Harras, they'd put them on Batman or Action comics or Green Lantern or something.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Better off killing the book and just giving BC a new solo with salvage members of BoP for a supporting cast. Cross it over with Snyders Batman for it's launch and see where it goes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    My suggestion would be to change the books focus a fair amount, and instead of going after terrorists and terrorist organizations (the majority of villains whom have been pretty lame throughout the run to date), the Birds Of Prey instead investigate the strange and weird in the DCU, very much like Planetary used to do in Wildstorm comics

The Birds would be the one's to find a farm town where Starro has taken over the farmers and their dairy cows and is having them produce hypnotic milk, or deal with ghosts of Arkham Asylum haunting parts of Gotham, or find evidence of an alien invasion on a children's program, etc.

Isn't that book called Justice League Dark?
    Free your soul and let it fly....

But none of the Wildstorm books have worked in the New 52, have they?

So why mimic something who's time is past?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Lantern 15 View Post
    I think Birds of Prey may be down and out, but I would like a new focus. Though with a few suggestions. Put Starling and Ivy back on the team. Play up the friendship aspect of the members and have them bond alittle. No males unless they guest star. Finally, don't make the baddies all part of spy agencies.
    I like the way you think.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But none of the Wildstorm books have worked in the New 52, have they?

So why mimic something who's time is past?

Can't blame Wildstorm ideas for being set up to fail in a DC world since the folks at DC seem not to care( take Wildstorm names and have nothing that resembles anything to those names )
    Child Of The Atom Smasher
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew

It's an interesting idea, but pointless without a writer that will pull it off. Marx's BoP right now just feels very uninspired. Duane S was incapable of concluding a story arc. The writer comes before the idea and right now I agree this book is best retired until someone comes along with a genuine interest in these characters, a unique new angle and zero compulsion to include Owls or blokes or to remove the best characters from the team.

What made Birds of Prey such a great book in the past was the relationships built between the characters in the book. First it was between Oracle and Canary and then they added Huntress. Typically the action took a second seat to the characters, it still happened...but it wasn't the primary focus. Chuck Dixon knew how to do this and Gail Simone knew how to do it.
    That is what has sunk this version of Birds of Prey. Character has taken a (far) back seat to insufficient plots and half thought out enemies. I had seriously high hopes when Marx was brought in (although equally serious disappointment with Jim Zub was fired before he got to start, sounded like he knew the proper equation.)

How to save this book? I like the idea of a DC Planetary type, although I'm not sure BoP is it. This book has always been somewhere between James Bond and the Justice League. Unfortunately when they finally do cancel the book, DC's reasoning will be that the team/characters time has passed and it no longer has any legs. There wont be any blame placed on poor choice in creative teams, lack of direction due to poor editing/writing, etc.

All the complaints about Cardinal, I happen to like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Lantern 15 View Post
    That's it to me. There's not some death spiral. There's a lack of idea of why these characters are together. While the new additions may be interesting for a passing moment or two, they don't improve the core of the title to me. Which honestly is rather small. Canary and Starling. Characters that complement that duo would be fine. But the last two additions have been complete failures and should return to limbo until someone has something interesting for them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    My suggestion would be to change the books focus a fair amount, and instead of going after terrorists and terrorist organizations (the majority of villains whom have been pretty lame throughout the run to date), the Birds Of Prey instead investigate the strange and weird in the DCU
    so they become Justice League Dark?

really the problem with BoP (aside from the dude) is that it's plagued with having to fit into the DC Universe that already has JLA. JLD, and whatever other male dominated team there is in DCU

My idea, unlike every other time which would be to send them to space because space adventures are awesome, this time I would suggest they make the story focused around the team interactions while one bad guy grows a personal vendetta against them individually. This bad guy is the one that brings out each characters personal story as he goes after them individually but when he's not present the focus of the story is on the team coming together to do the impossible and save the day against all odds. Think Teen Titans but without any dudes ;)
    every comic book since the original creators stopped doing them is nothing more than glorified fan-fic

Junior Member Yellow Lantern 15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Isn't that book called Justice League Dark?
    Not really. JLD focuses on more macabre and magical threats. If BoP decides to have some ghost adventures so be it. Heck put them in space for all I care. I felt like the cast's adventures were always a little too grounded and cliche.