Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do the Earth-based parts of Infinity lack gravity?

I love Infinity and the New Avengers parts, but i can't shake the Feeling, that Thanos Invasion of earth doesn't feel like a big thing. I mean this should be a big and huge thing, Thanos and his troops against a weak earth with full force. But in the comics it doesn't seem like a big thing.

Of course we see the burning New York, but there is no gravity to the situation. The Iluminati have all the time in the world to sit together and discuss things (NA 10) or Thanos troops come to a place, fight a little and go home. Shouldn't there be a big war? The Army vs the space pirates and the Black Order? Speaking of the Order: it seems, as if they run on low energy or something, because they could Take the earth relativly easy.

Fear itself - it had problems- at least showed, that there was a big and impactful war.

Hmmm....I don't find this to be the case. Thanos isn't razing the earth (yet) so much as hitting pressure points. He's looking for something in particular, not seeking to destroy the populace.

We're starting to see the actual battles more in tie-ins (Mighty, Thunderbolts, ect) now, which are delivering more of the action and chaos that you're after. Perhaps you'll be more satisfied if you pick up some of these?
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

I think the situation over in Wakanda might add a bit of gravity to the conflict, if indeed a bit of extra gravity is needed.

Atilan doesn't seem to be doing too well either.

BANNED

If anything, the space based parts of Infinity lack gravity because in space there's...not a lot of gravi--oh, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Hmmm....I don't find this to be the case. Thanos isn't razing the earth (yet) so much as hitting pressure points. He's looking for something in particular, not seeking to destroy the populace.

We're starting to see the actual battles more in tie-ins (Mighty, Thunderbolts, ect) now, which are delivering more of the action and chaos that you're after. Perhaps you'll be more satisfied if you pick up some of these?
    Against Thanos, I think we're meant to understand that Reed and Tony did a pretty good job of defending the city and limited the damage significantly; it's their ally Black Bolt that appears to top 9/11 by a large margin when he takes out Attilan right above Manhattan. Maybe they'll address that by saying that large sections of the city were evacuated after the Thanos fleet's attack, so that Black Bolt's voice didn't actually kill anybody in those buildings, otherwise it's difficult to see how Black Bolt wouldn't be regarded as being as much of an attacker or a terrorist as Thanos himself at this point.

The rest of the attacks have indeed been remote (Atlantis) or localized (JGS) or actually rebuffed (Wakanda).

But still, with an attack on a major city, you'd think it wouldn't be just Reed, Tony, and the other Illuminati reacting, but SHIELD, the US govt, other world powers, and so on. Not that they'd actually be as effective, but all the superweapons these organizations sometimes direct against the superheroes in government conspiracy plots should also be in play in stories like these, and would be used by those organizations, even if they ended up not working.

E.g., the run of Sentinels currently being used against mutants in the X-titles must not be owned and operated by the government. If they were, the government would direct them against Thanos. Since Sentinels haven't attacked the Thanos fleet, they're not government Sentinels, QED.

Mighty Avengers shows what's happening on the ground. Hickmans stuff is focused on the larger battles. That being said one needs to keep in mind that what Thanos is doing on Earth is not a war of conquest, it's a raid (albeit a big raid) to find his son. Hes just securing or disabling key Marvel Earth locations (NY, New York, Atlantis, Attilan, Jean Grey School) to better augment this but is leaving most other stuff alone. He may try to destroy Earth when hes done, but he doesn't intend to conquer it.

I think the gravity is fine given what Thanos' objective is, and given what. Earth already faces destruction from the Builders, and their threat is being shown very well. And we've seen enough of "NYC gets invaded, military disabled, President freaks out in the White House" during Secret Invasion, Fear Itself, Civil War, etc..
    Last edited by Megaharrison; 09-21-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaharrison View Post
    Mighty Avengers shows what's happening on the ground. Hickmans stuff is focused on the larger battles. That being said one needs to keep in mind that what Thanos is doing on Earth is not a war of conquest, it's a raid (albeit a big raid) to find his son. Hes just securing or disabling key Marvel Earth locations (NY, New York, Atlantis, Attilan, Jean Grey School) to better augment this but is leaving most other stuff alone. He may try to destroy Earth when hes done, but he doesn't intend to conquer it.

I think the gravity is fine given what Thanos' objective is, and given what. Earth already faces destruction from the Builders, and their threat is being shown very well. And we've seen enough of "NYC gets invaded, military disabled, President freaks out in the White House" during Secret Invasion, Fear Itself, Civil War, etc..
    His exact words were to raze the planet, which implies going in and causing mass destruction everywhere, not just a few pockets.

I like the Earth parts more than the space parts.

It's more like he was attacking locations where the Illuminati were to find the missing Infinity gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    His exact words were to raze the planet, which implies going in and causing mass destruction everywhere, not just a few pockets.
    Either way, even if the only attacks on US soil were in NYC and Westchester, it makes no sense for the US govt, either directly or by proxy through SHIELD, not to react... and possibly as much to Black Bolt's gambit of blowing up Attilan right over Manhattan as to the space fleet, honestly.

Speaking of Gravity, I'd take him in the Avengers over Sam and Bobby.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
    I like the Earth parts more than the space parts.
    I feel the same way. Thanos and his crew at least have some personality. The Builders are ostentatiously powerful and I'm interested to see how the Avengers deal with them, but they're complete ciphers as characters.
    Expletive Deleted

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

The entire story lacks gravity.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post

I'm just reading the main book, and I do feel like it carries weight. But it's always a fuller experience if you read the tie-ins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    I feel the same way. Thanos and his crew at least have some personality. The Builders are ostentatiously powerful and I'm interested to see how the Avengers deal with them, but they're complete ciphers as characters.
    I feel like the Builders aren't supposed to have personalities like Thanos and his group. They're supposed to be more of a hive-mind with a little individuality thrown in.

That being said, I do feel like it's hard to keep Thanos and his group totally separate from the Builders. I feel like they're such massive story-lines by themselves that they don't feel so glued together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    The entire story lacks gravity.
    Sure it does.