Default RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

I regret to inform everyone that the man who turned Nintendo into the video game powerhouse it is today has died.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/bu...ies-at-85.html

RIP to the man responsible for the gaming industry
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Somewhere there are tea tables being overturned by a crazy ghost.

I'm reading "Game Over: Press Start to Continue", which is the corporate history of Nintendo. I'm a fan of company histories, and I've read up also on Apple.

The leaders of both companies, Hamauchi or Steve Jobs, were geniuses, but that they knew how to pull people together to do incredible things. They were also obsessive about details, and they wanted to make the best possible product for the price. Neither advance science or technology significantly, because both just used the technology that was already available.

By contrast, Polaroid did advance science and technology to come up with the instant camera, and it held such a hammerlock on patents that no other company could sell an instant camera - Kodak tried, and it lost a mega patent lawsuit that pushed it out of the business. A good book on Polaroid would be "Instant: The Story of Polaroid" by New York Magazine editor, Chris Bonanos.

I love reading up on the history of companies that produce consumer gadgets. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    I'm reading "Game Over: Press Start to Continue", which is the corporate history of Nintendo. I'm a fan of company histories, and I've read up also on Apple.

The leaders of both companies, Hamauchi or Steve Jobs, were geniuses, but that they knew how to pull people together to do incredible things. They were also obsessive about details, and they wanted to make the best possible product for the price. Neither advance science or technology significantly, because both just used the technology that was already available.

By contrast, Polaroid did advance science and technology to come up with the instant camera, and it held such a hammerlock on patents that no other company could sell an instant camera - Kodak tried, and it lost a mega patent lawsuit that pushed it out of the business. A good book on Polaroid would be "Instant: The Story of Polaroid" by New York Magazine editor, Chris Bonanos.

I love reading up on the history of companies that produce consumer gadgets. :)
    Large differences though, like Yamauchi wasn't forced out of nintendo for being an insane dick, and didn't actively do things that failed for large portions of his life before coming up with one good idea and based a companies resurgance around iterating on it over and over and over again.
    Also, he didn't even use the products his companies was making.

Alex,

If you're talking about Land, he came up with many good ideas, including goggles and target finders during WWII, the U-2 camera system, and, in the end, the instant camera. His problem was that his project was not cost effective, because his SX-70 project cost the company several bad years just so it could get several good years.

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

Thank you Hiroshi. Shigeru might be the heart of Nintendo, but you were the brain, and thanks you to, I have countless wonderful childhood memories.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

Bob Chapman AKA Moviebob AKA The Game Overthinker gave a nice obituary.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide.../8155-Memorium
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    Alex,

If you're talking about Land, he came up with many good ideas, including goggles and target finders during WWII, the U-2 camera system, and, in the end, the instant camera. His problem was that his project was not cost effective, because his SX-70 project cost the company several bad years just so it could get several good years.
    Steve jobs yo.