Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who do you feel to be the most sympathetic Batman villain?

Who is currently the most sympathetic Batman villain?

Before, I would have said it was Freeze, but I guess that doesn't really apply anymore.

I used to say Harley Quinn as she is capable of good if it wasn't for the influence of Joker & Poison Ivy but I'm not sure what her backstory is now (besides Joker having a basement full of former dead Harleys) as I've lost intrest in the Suicide Squad.

Anarky, if you can count him as a villain. Yeah, he overshot the mark sometimes, he was a risk, but he was a kid, too, and the learning curve was steep and he took it like a champ. Still, crime is crime is crime and he committed the kinds Batman doesn't tend to approve of.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I used to say Harley Quinn as she is capable of good if it wasn't for the influence of Joker & Poison Ivy but I'm not sure what her backstory is now (besides Joker having a basement full of former dead Harleys) as I've lost intrest in the Suicide Squad.
    Being bat(%& murderously insane doesn't help her much, though, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post

Being bat(%& murderously insane doesn't help her much, though, does it?
    True but I do have sympathy for her as she has actively tried to get help and you see glimpses of her being good but always ends up being brought back to the baddie side by Joker and Ivy where as someone like Freeze has turned into a villian despite havign a tragic past which I see as something else to sympathy. Well that and I liked Harly to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Well... she literally killed hundreds of kids for shits and giggles in her Villains Month issue.

Quote Originally Posted by []D[]/\/\[]D @ Nite/So-tite View Post

Before, I would have said it was Freeze, but I guess that doesn't really apply anymore.
    Why doesn't Freeze apply anymore? Someone actually screwed up Dini's masterful re-imagining of the once generic Mr. Freeze?
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Brannon View Post
    Why doesn't Freeze apply anymore? Someone actually screwed up Dini's masterful re-imagining of the once generic Mr. Freeze?
    it got redone and now when he was a kid he would freeze pets, pushed his mum in a frozen lake etc and Nora is now a frozen woman Freeze falls in love with.

When was the last time Freeze wasn't more or less a complete bastard?

Weirdly, Winick's version is the one freshest in my mind right now. Mister no-empathy, no-impulse-control.

Batman has no sympathetic villains anymore. I hate to say it but its true, Mr. Freeze is now insane and just a killer with no heart before he showed how far you could go for love and how cold (no pun intended) it can make you. Harley was the perfect trapped inbetween character but Kindt took that away from her and now she is just the female Joker with nothing really seperating them. So Batman has no sympathetic villains.

I felt a bit for Goatboy, there, even though he's a murdering idiot. Maybe because he's a murdering idiot.

Pyg at least feels legitimately mentally unhealthy/out of control, and not just a mean guy. Of all the villains in play the last few years, he seems the most simply in need of meds and therapy.

I get that Harley's cute and all, and her boyfriend/girlfriend usually has a higher body count, but she's never been not a murdery murderer who laughs while she cuts you.

New 52 Ivy perhaps? I even started a thread about it since i want to learn more about her. I mean, she's right after all, right?
    And it is good that they'll probably focus on a more antivillain/protection of the environment/weak thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Thompson View Post
    New 52 Ivy perhaps? I even started a thread about it since i want to learn more about her. I mean, she's right after all, right?
    And it is good that they'll probably focus on a more antivillain/protection of the environment/weak thing.
    She's still a murderer and terrorist, at the very least. Early BoP made that clear. But, apparently if you blackmail her, she'll work for you for awhile. (And then I fell of the title, so I dunno how it stands now.)

Yeah but killing bad guys and scum, corporate assholes who poison entire cities, drug dealers and wife murderers is not exactly "bad" right?
    And "terrorist" has many sides. Che was a terrorist for some people. For some he was a hero and a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkink View Post
    Batman has no sympathetic villains anymore. I hate to say it but its true, Mr. Freeze is now insane and just a killer with no heart before he showed how far you could go for love and how cold (no pun intended) it can make you. Harley was the perfect trapped inbetween character but Kindt took that away from her and now she is just the female Joker with nothing really seperating them. So Batman has no sympathetic villains.
    Given the shortened timeline and the absence of Hush, Harvey's time working together with Batman is much shorter and he never saved him from Hush and filled in as Batman during One Year Later, but I wouldn't say he's completely lost what made him tragic now.
    "I like reading about the JGS sometimes. It reminds me when The Three Stooges masqueraded as professors." - godzilla2099

Quote Originally Posted by []D[]/\/\[]D @ Nite/So-tite View Post

Would have said the same as well. Now, I guess I would say Scarecrow? I actually felt very sorry for him after finishing Cycle of Violence, but he did deserve every bit of it, considering he tried to poison the entire city.