Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Ban Daily .
    Yeah. That guy.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Funny, I was just about to start my own thread about this. I'm planning on changing my username to dan bailey.

I think either BrotherPowerTheGeek#3 or Slut Banwala.
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

Quote Originally Posted by DubipR View Post
    I think either BrotherPowerTheGeek#3 or Slut Banwala.
    Since I've already got that inscribed on my business cards, it would hardly meet my objectives here.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Funny, I was just about to start my own thread about this. I'm planning on changing my username to dan bailey.
    Probably as a tribute to the guy whose terrible academic performance got me kicked out of college in, I think, the first semester of my sophomore year. I was on the dean's list, so I had no idea WTF was going on.

Turned out that Daniel B. Bailey wasn't much of a student; my middle initial, though, was P.* Still is, for that matter.

And that was in a small school with an enrollment of something like 1,850. We were the only Baileys in my hometown, but it's a pretty common name; so, apparently, is Daniel as a first name, though again you wouldn't have known it from when I was growing up, when offhand I can think of only a couple of others within a couple of years of me.

See also: Fershlugginer Cowboys' kicker, the.

*Rumors that the "P." stands for "Perfection," while certainly understandable, are not true.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 09-19-2013 at 09:07 PM.

-- Reptisaurus!

Veteran Member

I totally sympathise with the decision to retain anonymity in the face of all the threats to privacy we incur just by using the internet. At the same time, I feel an opposing desire to be upfront about what I think or believe or feel and not to hide behind a pseudonym while I'm doing all that. Like, probably, a lot of people, I end up trying and no doubt failing to strike a balance between these two urges.

Dan's stories about confusion with other Dan Baileys or soundalikes remind me of a friend of mine who has a name on the order of "John Smith" - not quite that generic, but not far off - and had several misadventures when he lived and worked in the States for a few years. The worst was probably being hounded by a credit agency who kept trying to intimidate him into paying the debts of some other "John Smith", but I think the most disturbing was being repeatedly pulled off commercial air flights because his name was tagged in some database as that of a convicted sexual offender.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Dan's stories about confusion with other Dan Baileys or soundalikes remind me of a friend of mine who has a name on the order of "John Smith" - not quite that generic, but not far off - and had several misadventures when he lived and worked in the States for a few years.
    I'm a junior, so I've had stuff like that happen several times.. the funniest was when I applied for a mortgage for the 1st time... the broker called me and asked me about an unpaid credit card from 1981 (I was 6 in 1981). Turned out it was a store card of my dads, and the store reported it in error when they went out of business (it was Zayre's, a proto-Walmart type Big Box store here in the New England Area), but it actually held up my mortgage for a few weeks while they fixed it.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Ban Daily .
    Sometimes I wish there was a "like" button at CBR!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    The guy's a total loser. We're better off without h-

Wait! Cei-U! has hacked my account!

*choke*
    Get real. If I could do that, I'd have done it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Probably as a tribute to the guy whose terrible academic performance got me kicked out of college in, I think, the first semester of my sophomore year. I was on the dean's list, so I had no idea WTF was going on.

Turned out that Daniel B. Bailey wasn't much of a student; my middle initial, though, was P.* Still is, for that matter.

And that was in a small school with an enrollment of something like 1,850.
    Funnily enough, something quite similar happened to me in college. One of my professors pulled me aside one day and said "Did you know you've been expelled for non-payment of tuition?" Turned out some drone in the accounting office had entered my payment under the wrong name: Kurt Mitchell may have been bounced but Mitchell Kurt was paid in full.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Dan's stories about confusion with other Dan Baileys or soundalikes remind me of a friend of mine who has a name on the order of "John Smith" - not quite that generic, but not far off - and had several misadventures when he lived and worked in the States for a few years. The worst was probably being hounded by a credit agency who kept trying to intimidate him into paying the debts of some other "John Smith", but I think the most disturbing was being repeatedly pulled off commercial air flights because his name was tagged in some database as that of a convicted sexual offender.
    Happens to my brother-in-law, Robert Smith, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Sometimes I wish there was a "like" button at CBR!
    Not that you'd need it for any of dan's posts...

Cei-U!
    I summon the "retch" button!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire2099 View Post
    I'm a junior, so I've had stuff like that happen several times.. the funniest was when I applied for a mortgage for the 1st time... the broker called me and asked me about an unpaid credit card from 1981 (I was 6 in 1981). Turned out it was a store card of my dads, and the store reported it in error when they went out of business (it was Zayre's, a proto-Walmart type Big Box store here in the New England Area), but it actually held up my mortgage for a few weeks while they fixed it.
    Your dad is Wildfire 1999, no? That was awfully negligent on the store's part.

-- Reptisaurus!

I'm shocked how often I run into other John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt's around here. I always just think man, his name IS my name too...
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Apparently, my planned handle-changed has reduced Brandon to a state of stunned paralysis; no response in a day & a half now to my most recent post in that regard.

So ... who knows? In the meantime, I remain in limbo, I suppose much like Wonder Girl, Aqualad, Kid Flash & -- eventually -- Robin in one of the landmark comics of my childhood, Teen Titans #14.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Happens to my brother-in-law, Robert Smith, all the time.
    Your brother-in-law is the lead singer of the Cure?

I summon the new-found respect!

-- Reptisaurus!

My son is a social worker so, to keep from getting found by his clients, recently changed his FB account name from his first and last name to his first and middle names (which, not totally coincidentally is the name of a comic book "TV Detective")
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Which Google tells me is also the name of the guy who founded Victoria's Secret, then apparently committed suicide.

I suppose I'll be polite & not ask which one you named your son after.

Oops ...

-- Reptisaurus!