Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Comics buff TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar

Default Dark Horse's Black Beetle discussion

Recently I've discovered this book and since it's heavily pulp influenced (and I love pulp) I've decided to go ahead and order the book to see if it's something I could get into, especially since I'm loving Captain Midnight and X from Dark Horse's superhero line. Anyone have any input on this book and whether or not it's worth checking out?

Also, does this book fit into the Project Black Sky imprint that Dark Horse has been pushing lately? Any info on the book would be great, but mainly I just want to know if the folks here are loving it as much as they are the other DH hero books.

Thanks!
    Reading Dynamite pulp titles and Dark Horse superhero books.

General consensus seems to be that its the best superhero book at DH.
    Its branded as part of their superhero line along with all the others but isnt in the same continuity as X, Ghost, Captain Midnight etc as its a creator owned book by Francavilla.

I don't believe it's set in the present-day 21st century, either.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I've ordered the first 3 issues and they're coming in soon, hopefully I will like it as much as I think I will. I've also got Ghost and Catalyst Comics on they're way in also.

I sampled a few pulp based/inspired books in the past, and none of them grabbed me. Until the Black Beetle came along I figured that the genre was just not my thing, yet Francavilla's style really did it for me.

I loved his first full story 'No way out', and Im very much looking forward to the next mini 'Necrologue'
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

The Black Beetle is so damn pulp it isn't even funny. I'm loving this book, the way it's written and the way Francavilla draws it is simply old school and fun, it reminds me of reading Green Hornet: Year One for whatever reason. The first mini-series was excellent and I'm about to dive into the second series now, I'm betting that it's going to be just as good, if not better than the first and I can't express enough just how enjoyable this book really is. Check it out if you've not had the chance, you'll thank me later.

I read the #0 issue when it came out in three episodes in DHP. Loved it and am now waiting for the first hardcover to appear in two weeks time. There should be a ton of extra's included. Cannot wait to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    I read the #0 issue when it came out in three episodes in DHP. Loved it and am now waiting for the first hardcover to appear in two weeks time. There should be a ton of extra's included. Cannot wait to read it.

Well, if you haven't read the entire first mini series than you're certainly in for a huge treat! I may get the hardcover too even though I own the floppies, mainly because I want to see what kind of extra's it comes with and to display it on my shelf.

Even though it's not a part of the Project Black Sky banner I've been reading this book and it screams pulp, even more than Dynamite's pulp oriented stuff. Man, Francivilla is really churning out some amazing stories with these Black Beetle mini's and I'm really looking forward to more. Who knows, maybe Dark Horse will somehow impliment Black Beetle into the PBS universe over time?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorseHeroes View Post
    Even though it's not a part of the Project Black Sky banner I've been reading this book and it screams pulp, even more than Dynamite's pulp oriented stuff. Man, Francivilla is really churning out some amazing stories with these Black Beetle mini's and I'm really looking forward to more. Who knows, maybe Dark Horse will somehow impliment Black Beetle into the PBS universe over time?
    This book could eventually end up within the Project Black Sky imprint, but I highly doubt it and it feels more like something Dynamite would publish rather than Dark Horse. Its a wonderful book though and I highly support it.

Project Black Sky seams to be about Dark Horse owned characters while Black Beetle, as far as i know, is creator-owned by Francivilla.

Either way this is one the best comic book series released in last two years without doubt. Only thing that angers me is Francivilla wasting his time on Covers for big two and now i think he is drawing some issues for Guardians of the Galaxy? Get back to drawing Black Beetle!
    lots of dots

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Project Black Sky seams to be about Dark Horse owned characters while Black Beetle, as far as i know, is creator-owned by Francivilla.

Either way this is one the best comic book series released in last two years without doubt. Only thing that angers me is Francivilla wasting his time on Covers for big two and now i think he is drawing some issues for Guardians of the Galaxy? Get back to drawing Black Beetle!
    Patiences is a virtue.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/23-8...e-Necrologue-1

Quote Originally Posted by Blastermaster View Post
    Sign me up! Is this going to continue on and on as a series of mini's or will he ever get an ongoing....?

...The Shadow knows...

It's another mini...

...The Shadow knows...

Funny thing...I don't prefer FF's work anywhere but this book. Such a good fit.