Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Zero, #1

SAVING THE WORLD. ONE MURDER AT A TIME.
    Edward Zero is the perfect execution machine - a spy who breaks the rules to get things done. When a stolen device appears in the center of a long-running conflict, Zero comes to retrieve it. The problem is, the device is inside a living, breathing, bio-modified terrorist and there's an entire army after it.

Full article here.

Read it and reviewed it (see here)

It was alright I suppose, but I honestly I didn't find myself invested in main character, the dialogue was kind of dull, and it had very strangely placed sex scene that broke up the pacing and brought the whole comic to a complete stop. It's like the writer wanted to remind us that this is a mature comic or something.

Also, is it just me or did this artist's work remind anyone else of David Aja's work over on Hawkeye? Really gave me vibes of that guy's work.

Yea Walsh does have an Aja vibe. He was the artist on "Comeback" with Ed Brisson as well. I really like his work. He's not at Aja's level yet but few are. He's got a nice clean style though; I'm definitely interested in seeing more of his work.

One word: AWESOME. Action-packed, tight storytelling with underlying themes spread throughout, great art - I could go on and on. I also didn't find the sex scene unnatural. It was set out as a premise in order for those two characters to be more honest with each other in the subject of Edward Zero. It moved the story forward and established an interesting dynamic between the two.

Can't wait for the second issue. Ales Kot really delivered in this one.

Walked from your door to you closet as you read this

He's got a clean style but he lacks Aja's sense of paneling, flow and facial expressions. So instead of being awesome it just feels like lazy, rushed art.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Okay, this was a badass comic and it's pretty clear that DC was lucky Kot even bothered.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Holy shit.

Kot is going places man.

BANNED

I agree, the sex scene just seems random. It offers nothing to the story other than breaking the flow of the main narrative. I honestly didn't think much of the main story anyway. It's certainly not the second coming that people are trying to make it out as. It was just sort of okay. It was a slow week so I had extra $. If #2 lucks out and ships on another slow week I might give it another go. Assuming that I even remember the book exists in a months time.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

The people banging in the office were the same people that were talking earlier.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    The people banging in the office were the same people that were talking earlier.
    Yeah. While I agree it felt a little bit... out of place... I'm assuming these characters are both important to the story.

Overall, it was a "good" #1 issue. Not an 'omg-blew-my-mind-5-stars' debut, but fun.